VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Strange behavior in C. albolabris?

Go down 
+4
Jon Davidson
Paul Behan
Johan Pennanen
Tiberiu Sahlean
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Tiberiu Sahlean
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tiberiu Sahlean

Male
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2010-03-03

Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Empty
PostSubject: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeWed 27 Oct - 15:35

Hi guys!
I have a young male C. albolabris (about 55cm TL) for almost a year now. In september I rehoused him to a larger enclosure (60 x 40 x 30 (H x L x l)). 3 days ago I have observed what I would call a strange behavior for this species. He has made a hole in the potting soil at the bottom of the background and spends a lot of time hidden there. During the day he climbs on the background and plants I have provided for him and during the night he goes down on the substrate and stays in the "burrow". At least that is where I have found him the last times I woke up. Temperatures are around 25-26 C during the day and 21-22 C during the night.
I can't think of anything that can cause this sudden shift in behavior and I don't know if it is normal or something to be worried about, so I am hoping for some answers from more experienced keepers on this board so I can better evaluate the situation.
So, has anyone noticed this kind of behavior in white-lipped tree vipers or related species?

Regards,
Tiberiu!
Back to top Go down
http://tiberiusahlean.daportfolio.com/
Johan Pennanen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Johan Pennanen

Male
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeWed 27 Oct - 15:58

Hi!

Do you use a heatpad or cable under terrarium or in substrate that make bottom more
hotter then rest of terrarium and thats why your C.albolabris go there to get more heat?

BR, Johan
Back to top Go down
Tiberiu Sahlean
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tiberiu Sahlean

Male

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeWed 27 Oct - 16:18

Hello! I am not using any heating under the terrarium. The only heat is the one radiating from the fluorescent lighting fixture on top of the terrarium.
Maybe the substrate remains hotter than the rest of the terrarium during the night or it radiates heat from decomposing vegetable matter - I use unfertilized peat moss as substrate?
Back to top Go down
Paul Behan
Paul Behan

Male
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2010-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeWed 27 Oct - 17:17

He may be seeking higher humidity levels from the soil so as to aid him shed for example. What are your humidity readings?
Back to top Go down
Tiberiu Sahlean
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tiberiu Sahlean

Male

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeWed 27 Oct - 17:20

Humidity is about 75-80% during the day and drops to about 70% during the night.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeWed 27 Oct - 22:30

Perhaps because it is going into winter now, without the aid of any other heat sources at night it is a bit cold?

For my aboreal species I have heat mat on the side of the RUB's, although these are Boiga & Rough greens not Albolabris... but I will not let the temps for Boiga drop below 24.
Back to top Go down
Tiberiu Sahlean
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tiberiu Sahlean

Male

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeWed 27 Oct - 22:54

From what I have read 24-26 is about right for albolabris during the day and a drop to 22-24 during the night. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong?
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeWed 27 Oct - 23:05

TiberiuSahly wrote:
Hi guys!
I have a young male C. albolabris (about 55cm TL) for almost a year now. In september I rehoused him to a larger enclosure (60 x 40 x 30 (H x L x l)). 3 days ago I have observed what I would call a strange behavior for this species. He has made a hole in the potting soil at the bottom of the background and spends a lot of time hidden there. During the day he climbs on the background and plants I have provided for him and during the night he goes down on the substrate and stays in the "burrow". At least that is where I have found him the last times I woke up. Temperatures are around 25-26 C during the day and 21-22 C during the night.
I can't think of anything that can cause this sudden shift in behavior and I don't know if it is normal or something to be worried about, so I am hoping for some answers from more experienced keepers on this board so I can better evaluate the situation.
So, has anyone noticed this kind of behavior in white-lipped tree vipers or related species?

Regards,
Tiberiu!
Interesting... I can't answer this question specifically, but I could offer a couple of suggestions that might be worth considering. First, the specimen may be simply trying to thermoregulate itself down to a lower, more comfortable temperature. Second, perhaps the ambient light in the area of the cage in the evenings is such that the specimen is trying find a darker, more comfortable location in which to rest. Some photographs, if possible, of this behaviour might be helpful... Hopefully, a keeper with more direct experience with this species will provide a better explaination... Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeThu 28 Oct - 0:20

I have observe this in albolabris too. After some months the change theire mind and climb up again on the branches. Maby something has chnage and I has not observere annything!
I see this sometimes in my P. ,,fucata´´ from Langkawi and in my C. fasciatus. C. fasciatus I found sometimes on the ground under the leaves in there Vivarium! A female was there for 3-4 weeks, then it shedds there skin, and now she´s in a hole of an branch. The comes out only for the night.
Daytime I´ve never seen this species outside. - It´s a shame!
This year in Thailand, I have observe some green pitvipers from a species very related to C. macrops. I found 5 of them. But no one was in Trees or on a branch! All on the ground or on Rocks!
So, be cool, it looks not like a behaviour of anny siccness. I think the Temps are right, but maby a little bit to low for wole year. A cool Periode can be very good, but it depend on where are the origin of you albolabris!
Back to top Go down
Johan Pennanen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Johan Pennanen

Male

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeThu 28 Oct - 1:09

I have see this behavior whit go down on ground in many Trimeresurus sp, but i have not see any of them borrow some hole to go in Smile
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeThu 28 Oct - 1:23

Johan Pennanen wrote:
I have see this behavior whit go down on ground in many Trimeresurus sp, but i have not see any of them borrow some hole to go in Smile

You don´t see that??? Maby you sleep when are doing that Shocked
Back to top Go down
Johan Pennanen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Johan Pennanen

Male

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeThu 28 Oct - 1:43

Sure, maby that Smile
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeThu 28 Oct - 2:18

! There are so manny posibilitys that can be....
Maby the snake is looking for are hiding place, but can´t find that in higher elevations of the Terrarium. Or, something disturb it, and it is looking for shelter, in such streesed moments the can maby shows such a behaviour??? ,,There are no Place to hide, than I have to make some...´´
I don´t know what´s happend with this snke. Maby a typical naturly behaviour or a untypical,or a typical for a snake in captivity...
I know that G. oxycephalus does that also. Also a ,,aboreal´´ snake, that comes from time to time on the ground. I keep this species and found it sometimes burrowed in the Flowerpott.
Back to top Go down
Tiberiu Sahlean
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tiberiu Sahlean

Male

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeThu 28 Oct - 3:15

Thanks for all the replies guys! This thread has become very very interesting to read and all the possibilities given are likely to be the cause. I am glad this is not a sign of sickness and I am not the only one to have observed this kind of behavior. I will monitor him closely and see if I can pin down a reason for this shift.
I will take pictures of the snake when I see him hiding in the burrow again and post them.

Regards,
Tiberiu!
Back to top Go down
Jake Hawthorne
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeThu 28 Oct - 4:18

I think it may also be because you use the potting soil, which is a more natural substrate. I keep all my forest-dwelling reptiles on a similar type of substrate and I see all kinds of behaviours that you wouldn't expect, including burrowing from non-fossorial animals.

Also, in some cses, we have incomplete knowledge of how these reptiles spend their time in the wild and certain behaviours they may have. I'm sure that some animals naturally display behaviours that haven't been documented in the wild, which comes as a surprise when they are displayed in captivity.

I'm happy to see reptile keepers maintaining their animals in naturalistic conditions instead of simple, sterile enclosures. It gives them a chance to show us their full potential of behaviours - and sometimes even surprise us a little Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeFri 29 Oct - 17:19

Both my male albos. And male insularis do the same thing. Nothing to worry about my boys been doing it for years. Ground by day roam at night unless they have fed then its under the basking light then to the bottom corner. Sometimes even hides in the cracks in their rocks.
Back to top Go down
Tiberiu Sahlean
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tiberiu Sahlean

Male

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeSat 27 Aug - 20:56

MY pair of C. albolabris is doing fine now. Thought I would share some pictures.
Female:
Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Calbolabrisf

Male:
Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Calbolabrism
Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male
Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep - 3:57

splendide snakes, very beautiful, great shots.
I was wondering if you could take some pics of their terrarium and if you can capture him in the act that would be very interesting to see how he does that, regards

once again beautiful snakes
Back to top Go down
Tiberiu Sahlean
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tiberiu Sahlean

Male

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep - 4:40

Thank you very much Gustav! I will take some pictures for overview, maybe tomorrow if I don't forget.

Regards!
Back to top Go down
Liang Guo
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2012-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec - 23:21

I think Albolabris is a major geocole viper...
I am a Chinese,I live in a place which is natural habitat of Albolabris. my friend went to wild to collect snakes at summer night,and he found the Albolabris were on the ground and catched rodents.They are not total arboreal snakes...
They climb on the trees at daytime to rest and avoid natural enemy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange behavior in C. albolabris?   Strange behavior in C. albolabris? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strange behavior in C. albolabris?
Page 1 of 1