VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?

Go down 
+4
Michael Hugi
Rene Schenk
Jonas Hill
Thierry Grey
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Thierry Grey
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Thierry Grey

Male
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Empty
PostSubject: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitimeMon 15 Nov - 15:47

it 's a long time, I think about Atheris Squamiger, and I am in the trouble about humidity.

sometimes I had read some breeders don't water too much, just a water bowl and manual watering during shedding period, and some others watering daily with a hight percentage of humidity.

we can find a lot off pictures with beast in a hight humidity environment, but what is it for ?

Esthetic of the picture, specific hydration problems, or wrong way of life or the good way to breed them ???
How do you proceed?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitimeTue 16 Nov - 2:42

In my experience to much humidity and atheris equals death. Thats just my personal experience. All my atheris have waterbowls and get soaked every 10 to 14 days. Derek is the authority on squams here. Wait til he chimes in.
Back to top Go down
Jonas Hill
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jonas Hill

Male
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitimeTue 16 Nov - 3:45

I'm not Derek but my experience is the same.
Keep them dry, good ventilated an cold (26 Degees) and you'll have no problems with respiratory diseases which likes squamigeras a lot. Wink

I spayed a male squam too much and although I had a very very good ventilated cage this animal got ill. Maybe it was weakling but now I don't spay them anymore and they do well especially with plants and stuff the humidity is without spaying enough.
Just my experience.
Back to top Go down
http://www.realsnakes.de

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitimeTue 16 Nov - 4:32

My appologies jonas. I know others here have extensive exp. With squams. On this side of the puddle derek is a go to guy for squam. Prob. Because of his affinity for the ssp. I agree with your imput. Thats what I found out after losing a pair several years ago. I keep all my atheris at 74 f. Since and very rarly mist. Usually only around molts. Soaking mainly for defication purposes.
Back to top Go down
Rene Schenk
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Rene Schenk

Male
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitimeTue 16 Nov - 16:20

Salut Thierry,
This experience is from a few WC i bought in 07 (breeding), some CB i bought, and the own babies. (together 25 at the moment) and over 20 jears squam'.
I keep mine at 20° (night) up to 28° (day-hotspot)in summer, and 18° to 25° in winter. Diferences between bottom and top of cages are +/- 3°. I spray 2-3 times a week to stay between low 50% and high 80%. The cages have only flyscreen on top, for a good ventilation, so i dont get to high humidty for a long time. 2-3 hours after spraying humidity is mostly around 60-70%. They are kept with plenty of natural plants, a waterbowl, and the ground is "ceramis"(grains of clay). Very easy to controll the humidity, and to clean. But 2 things are forbidden, too high temperatures for a longer period and heavy, dump humidity.
In my eyes is a squam within a big range easy to keep. Use google earth to see the huge aera where they are found.
Greetings
Rene
BTW: Yes, they look bether with waterdrops on pictures;-)
Back to top Go down
Michael Hugi
Michael Hugi

Male
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitimeTue 16 Nov - 18:43

My squamigeras never have humidity high like yours, rene.
I spray every week.. And then i let fall down the humidity at 30-40%.
Greetings
Michael Hugi
www.squamigera.ch
Back to top Go down
http://www.squamigera.ch
Rene Schenk
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Rene Schenk

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitimeWed 17 Nov - 0:01

Hi Michael,
thats the wide range i mentioned. I spraying mostly to wet the orchids, but very rare dropping wet. I was "raining" yesterday afternoon, today afternoon its down to 58%.
So, no rain today.
Greetings Rene
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitimeWed 17 Nov - 2:22

So basically were all in agreement. Low temps. Low to moderate humidity.
Back to top Go down
Thierry Grey
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Thierry Grey

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitimeThu 18 Nov - 2:56

Thank you very much to every one.
that exactly what i thought ! So in fact only a bowl of water , that 's it for humidity.

but do you think it's really important to move temperatures between summer and winter, for neonates, and if you don't want to have babies with adults?
Apparently, a lot of breeders of atheris use exo-terra cages, do you think it's a good thing for the aeration?

And for the heating? do you use cable or heat map.
In fact, I suppose that it's better with a cable, but how do you put it ?
in the bottom or in the back of the cage.

for the hot spot, do you use heat lamps or only cables....
Back to top Go down
Jonas Hill
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jonas Hill

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitimeThu 18 Nov - 5:32

imho:
exo-terra yes!
no great temperature difference necesarry, why do you think about it?
heating: fluorescent lamp, if really necessary (winter with a lot of shutted down cages in the room) at day a 20W halogen lamp for hot spot, thats it. I really wouldn't use cable or something else like this
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitimeThu 18 Nov - 8:31

Exoterra definate yes! If you get the hood that goes on top to match and use an exoterra 2.0 uvb bulb that keeps mine happy as can be. As jonas said no furthur heat sources required.
Back to top Go down
Rene Schenk
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Rene Schenk

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitimeSun 21 Nov - 17:09

Exo..what? Gentlemen no advertisement please ;-)
I use 1 T5 / Daylight cool white 6400Kelvin and 1 T8 Freshwater Aqua.lamp.
The T5 right on the screentop gives me the hotspot, up to 30° for about 10cm.
No special heating or UV in use. And even "Vanda's" are flowering.
Rene
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male
Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitimeMon 22 Nov - 12:28

Through much of their range, squamigera go through two wet seasons where the temperatures are slightly lower and the rainfall amount jumps dramatically. They are not, however, a true rainforest species since they also go through at least one dry season in most of their range where the temperatures are higher and there is little to no rainfall. This is why squamigera are so tolerant of diverse conditions in captivity concerning temperatures and humidity. You only really start to get in trouble with them when you keep them too cold, too hot, too dry, or too wet for an extended amount of time, as you will get away with it for months because it causes them little stress in short periods. So I keep my animals in the mid range of temperatures and do not do a nighttime drop. I do create mini "seasons" in the snake room and I will raise ambient temperatures and lower them as I wish to stimulate breeding, or simulate an inactive period during the year.

I, like Jonas, keep my animals much drier than many other keepers do. I've found that I see a lot fewer (zero) respiratory issues if I keep the cages very clean and mist them infrequently. During the breeding season, the adult breeders may be misted 2-3 times a week for 2-3 months, but during the dry season they may not get sprayed for 2-3 months. So there's a lot of variation going on here and that keeps them stimulated and cycled to breed. And I say it's boloney when people claim that Atheris don't drink from bowls. All of my animals would be dead if they didn't drink from bowls. I do spray fresh WC animals more frequently until they figure out what a water bowl is, but they do figure it out.

With babies and juveniles, I would not worry about seasonal changes nor any changes in humidity/misting. Just keep them mild and mist them once a week and they will be fine. In my opinion, people get too caught up in measuring humidity and they screw it up for that very reason. I think I have a hygrometer somewhere in my snakeroom, but I never look at it. I'd measure the relative humidity in your snakeroom and maybe manipulate it that way with a room humidifier, instead of trying to manipulate it in the snake cage itself. The microclimate inside a snake cage is usually way too small to get perfect anyway.

I heat the entire room and don't need any other heat sources, but spot lights are typically the best way to heat your cages if needed. Get one corner or side of your cage much warmer than the rest of the cage and the snake can thermoregulate as needed.

I hope I didn't ramble too much, Thierry, and you can find something useful in there anyway. Good luck to you. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.arborealvipers.com
Johannes Marchand
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Johannes Marchand

Male
Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2011-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitimeWed 16 Feb - 1:12

I've found some good informations thanks to your last post, thank you. I tend to have a similar approach when it comes to my Morelia viridis, a snake that a lot of people want to transform into fish with 200 % humidity, and even 2 centimeters of water as substrate ! And you're right when you say they'll figure out there is a water bowl. Of course they will, as every snake, and once they'll find, they'll be clever enough to manage their own hydratation if there is clean water available (minor a few exceptions I guess). Weather in nature is not regular, so I think it's normal to do as you do, to spray once time here and there, but not in a regular basis.
Back to top Go down
jean-henri pastore
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2009-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitimeWed 16 Feb - 3:41

Johannes Marchand wrote:
I've found some good informations thanks to your last post, thank you. I tend to have a similar approach when it comes to my Morelia viridis, a snake that a lot of people want to transform into fish with 200 % humidity, and even 2 centimeters of water as substrate ! And you're right when you say they'll figure out there is a water bowl. Of course they will, as every snake, and once they'll find, they'll be clever enough to manage their own hydratation if there is clean water available (minor a few exceptions I guess). Weather in nature is not regular, so I think it's normal to do as you do, to spray once time here and there, but not in a regular basis.

And i think you are right.
No regular missing, like miss nature !
Back to top Go down
Davina Eisenbeis
Davina Eisenbeis

Female
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitimeWed 16 Feb - 15:19

Another question... A few weeks ago in Switzerland, I came to speak for hours with a viridis (among other species) breeder (Roger Meier, for those who know him, and a very nice man by the way) and he was saying that two elements have a major role in spraying such species successfully.

A heated room, to start with to avoid fresh draughts, and most of all, using heated water, so that there is absolutely no change in the temperature whatsoever.

It sounded rather logical to me.

We were debating about keeping such species dry, with only water bowls; I was also telling him that the snakes I know (my friend's) are doing well, 7 years old for the oldest, and that they just drink when they need it for long moments, to go back to their branches when finished. They are all fine, and breed as well.

Still, he was expressing his concern about a lack of 'regular' drinking, alluding to possible kidney issues. Those were only hypotheses as he put them, but it made me think.
My friend has a snake that he sometimes has to help defecate/urinate by massaging it, because the mass in the belly is too hard and doesn't want to come out...
May it be linked in any way?..

Last edited by Davina Eisenbeis on Thu 17 Feb - 2:49; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Johannes Marchand
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Johannes Marchand

Male
Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2011-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitimeWed 16 Feb - 18:43

I think, like I've mentioned in an other forum, that one has to addapt himself to every snake he owns. Some specimen won't have any difficulties to drink regularly from the water bowl, and some other won't even drink the drops from their scales, and so on.... My viridis don't havec any problem defecating, nor dirnking. and one of my other Morelia, which is not a viridis and not supposed to be kept with high hygrometry, need a lot more humidity, like 2 big bowl of water + spraying everyday during the shedding period, otherwise, its shedding is catastrophic.

And yes, spraying with really hot water is the good way, with the pressure of the sprayer, the water will just be perfect, not too hot , and not too cold.
Back to top Go down
Thierry Grey
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Thierry Grey

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitimeFri 18 Feb - 2:36

Thanks to everyone, it's really interesting! That 's help me to understand better the process of breed this type of snake!
(if you have some example of cage heated by spot light heating, I should appreciate to see them!)
Back to top Go down
Jonas Hill
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jonas Hill

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitimeFri 18 Feb - 19:46

Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Pict0010
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?   Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Breeding Atheris squamigera in really good conditions ?
Page 1 of 1