VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Cleaning vivariums

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Harry Sanders

Male
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-02-05

Cleaning vivariums Empty
PostSubject: Cleaning vivariums   Cleaning vivariums Icon_minitimeFri 25 Feb - 5:53

Hi,

Firstly I would like to say how brilliant all the natural looking vivariums are on here that you have. I was wondering how much more of a problem they present with regards to cleaning and general housekeeping than a more simple, minimalist design vivarium does?

Thanks!
Harry
Back to top Go down
Helen Houghton
Helen Houghton

Female
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-11-18

Cleaning vivariums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning vivariums   Cleaning vivariums Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar - 18:40

Hi Harry!

All of my vivariums are naturalistic (venomous and non venomous alike). I understand your concern that naturalistic setups may be difficult to clean, but truly nothing could be further from the truth! They involve more initial setup time and money, but once they are set up they require much less time to clean in my experience than a 'sterile' setup, and there is no denying they are much easier on the eye and less stressful for the animal.

There is also another way of looking at it - animals kept in a 'sterile' environment never come into contact with 'normal' pathogens, as such when they do encounter anything nasty, they are likely to have a relatively weak immune system and not be able to cope with the pathogen (when compared with an animal kept in a 'naturalistic' environment with introductions to minor pathogens.) Does that make sense?

Anyway, in most of my tanks i use things like bioactive substrate - essentially meaning that when the snake poops, i take away the 'big bits' and bin it, and the rest is 'stirred' into the substrate for the organisms to clean up - in time the substrate becomes fully bioactive and it truly NEVER needs to be replaced. Just occasionally improved with additional organic matter in the forms of leaves etc.

If the snake poops on any sticks or rocks etc, its important to clean these, but aside from that and cleaning waterbowls carefully then there is nothing else that needs doing really!

Here are some of my examples (they are quite pitiful compared with many on here!)

Cleaning vivariums IMGP0529

Cleaning vivariums IMGP0508

Cleaning vivariums IMGP0441

Cleaning vivariums 024-2

Cleaning vivariums 021-5

Cleaning vivariums 017-6
Back to top Go down
Harry Sanders

Male
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-02-05

Cleaning vivariums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning vivariums   Cleaning vivariums Icon_minitimeMon 21 Mar - 5:46

Thanks for your help - your set-ups are brilliant by the way.
The information is really useful - things like this have to be taken in to concideration for planning ahead. I'm guessing that the animals are also less stressed by this which will also help? And I completely get you with regards to pathogens and illnesses.

Thanks again,
Harry
Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male
Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2010-09-09

Cleaning vivariums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning vivariums   Cleaning vivariums Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar - 3:11

great ideas, and great vivariums as well
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cleaning vivariums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning vivariums   Cleaning vivariums Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cleaning vivariums
Page 1 of 1