VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Coexistence

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Lennart Karlsson
Lennart Karlsson

Male
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-04-06

Coexistence Empty
PostSubject: Coexistence   Coexistence Icon_minitimeWed 6 Apr - 23:06

Hi everyone
I'am new here at this site and I have seen many nice pictures and I have only been here at atheris so far.

My Q: I got two squams, born 2009, a yellow male and a green female, I hope. Their are at equal size.
Can I house them together? They have lived in separate tanks so far. The reson I ask is that I have read that squams can be cannibalistic.

Coexistence Atheris030

Coexistence Atheris022-1

C'ya
Back to top Go down
Jake Hawthorne
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-10-17

Coexistence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coexistence   Coexistence Icon_minitimeThu 7 Apr - 4:48

Hi Lennart,

It's always better to keep some species seperate. Even if they aren't cannibalistic, the prescence of another snake may stress one or both of them enough to stop eating. That being said, I have housed Atheris together without any problems before.

If you have seperate setups, it's best that you use them and only introduce before breeding. Accidents can happen if they both go for the same prey item at once or for a variety of other reasons. You have some very beautiful snakes, it would be a shame if one of them got hurt or stressed out.

Just something to think about.

All the best!
Back to top Go down
PeterMagnusson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Coexistence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coexistence   Coexistence Icon_minitimeThu 7 Apr - 4:53

I keep my together. its an 4-5 year old female and a 2 year old boy. No problem at all.
Back to top Go down
Lennart Karlsson
Lennart Karlsson

Male

Coexistence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coexistence   Coexistence Icon_minitimeThu 7 Apr - 5:58

@Luke: I do agree with U. I have had separeted for 1½ years. But when I see pics of squam groups with several colours, then U can really see the diversity in colours, which makes this species so particular. Maybe I'll do it just for a photo shoot and separate afterwards.

A friend had schlegelii's together and came home one day and find the smaller male gone. The female had made him dinner.

@Peter: Whats the difference in size between them?
Back to top Go down
Michael Jonasson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Michael Jonasson

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-10-21

Coexistence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coexistence   Coexistence Icon_minitimeThu 7 Apr - 6:45

I keep mine seperated other then when trying to breed them. Now they are kept, 2.1 together.
Back to top Go down
PeterMagnusson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Coexistence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coexistence   Coexistence Icon_minitimeThu 7 Apr - 20:32

lennart: female around 70-75 cm and male around 40. Keep them in a 60*45*60 exo terra.
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male
Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Coexistence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coexistence   Coexistence Icon_minitimeThu 7 Apr - 22:12

I keep a large group of squamigera and I house them separately and introduce them only for breeding. Some animals get along fine, but others for some reason do not. I typically lose one animal a year from male or female aggression. I have only seen cannibalism once or twice with squams in 15 years, but why risk it if you don't have to.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arborealvipers.com
Lennart Karlsson
Lennart Karlsson

Male

Coexistence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coexistence   Coexistence Icon_minitimeThu 7 Apr - 22:24

PeterMagnusson wrote:
lennart: female around 70-75 cm and male around 40. Keep them in a 60*45*60 exo terra.

Ok, I keep them in 30x30x45cm and gonna to change to 45x45x60cm and still keep them separated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Coexistence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coexistence   Coexistence Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coexistence
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: Viperidae :: Atheris-
Jump to: