VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Computer running very slowly

Go down 
+3
Guenter Leitenbauer
Fabian Dirks
April Mandel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
April Mandel
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
April Mandel

Female
Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Computer running very slowly Empty
PostSubject: Computer running very slowly   Computer running very slowly Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jun - 9:46

I have a 7 year old Dell desktop computer. When new, it was fast, and a browser would open quickly, programs ran without delay, and it would never overheat. Now, it often overheats-the fans are noisy, so I hear them, sometimes overheating at startup when I click to open a browser. If I download a photo from the Internet, the computer will freeze up because it takes several minutes to download the image which used to be immediate with no delay. The computer runs very slowly even if it doesn't overheat.

Everything is backed up on external hard drives, so I'm not worried about losing files, but I'm wondering if the machine is at the end of its service life and should be replaced. Repair may not be practical if it would cost more than the machine is worth and it would be inconvenient if the machine would just stop working. If the computer should be replaced, I'd prefer to do it before the machine completely stops working.

Scans prove no presence of spyware or virus. I installed a trial version of Adobe Elements, the installation took almost an hour. When new, something like that would take only a few minutes.

What could be the cause of this once fast machine running so painfully slow?

Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Computer running very slowly   Computer running very slowly Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jun - 14:53

Hi April,

if the pc overheat , there can be dust / powder inside your fan. - it is better to clean / vacuum the pc from time to time.
From time to time there are progs necessary to clean up old datas / progs and other stuff ( tuneup utilities for example )

... and defrag your harddisk or run chedsk
... and have a check for malware

cheers Fabian

Last edited by Fabian Dirks on Wed 8 Jun - 15:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Computer running very slowly   Computer running very slowly Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jun - 14:57

7 years?
New PC.
A seven year old PC is like a 20 year old car ...
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
jean-henri pastore
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2009-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Computer running very slowly   Computer running very slowly Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jun - 16:16

Yes, i'm also agree with Guenter. Wink
The best he's to change it.
Ps: did you change the ventilators until 7 years?
Back to top Go down
António Pinto
António Pinto

Male
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Computer running very slowly   Computer running very slowly Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jun - 0:16

Yeap, is really like a 20 years old car.

Mine have something like 7/8 years too but I haved changed some things 2/3 years ago because it was very slowly too nad could`nt do nothing...
Back to top Go down
April Mandel
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
April Mandel

Female

PostSubject: Re: Computer running very slowly   Computer running very slowly Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jun - 2:33

Comparing a 7 year old computer to an old car is probably an accurate analogy.

Time for a new machine. A friend has suggested H-P as a manufacturer. I'd be buying a desktop. Does Hewlett- Packard have a good reputation for reliability? Is another manufacturer better?
Back to top Go down
jean-henri pastore
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Computer running very slowly   Computer running very slowly Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jun - 4:12

Don't buy NEVER Hp !!! it's like you bought some shit.......(sorry) Embarassed
Dell is the best you can find at this moment, like all the moment (for me).
Sure the mark is a little bit expensive, but it's understandable.....
Wink

(Just my opinion of course)
Back to top Go down
April Mandel
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
April Mandel

Female

PostSubject: Re: Computer running very slowly   Computer running very slowly Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jun - 4:56

Until recently, my Dell has been trouble free since I bought it. My Dimension 8300 has been replaced by the XPS8300 which is more expensive than HP. Dell may very well be the best, but HP SHOULD offer a quality machiine in the high performance class.

Jean-Henri, you've had problems with your HP desktop? Seems like HP gives a lot for the money compared to Sony, Dell, Lenova, Mac. It would be really sad if HP has reliability issues.
Back to top Go down
jean-henri pastore
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Computer running very slowly   Computer running very slowly Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jun - 5:04

I had only one HP and it was devastating:
Down after one year, no after sales service, warranty too low and too expensive compared to the performance
Back to top Go down
April Mandel
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
April Mandel

Female

PostSubject: Re: Computer running very slowly   Computer running very slowly Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jun - 6:23

I visited http://www.pcworld.com/article/156452/hp_desktop_pcs_continue_to_disappoint_in_reliability.html

From there, I found the attached illustration. If HP is shipping their machines with defects, it suggests a lack of quality control. Apparently each computer is assembled and shipped without anyone turning it on and checking the operation of it, relying upon the buyer to perform the final inspection. With this attitude towards quality, premature failure is to be expected. Manufacturers are throwing the machines together and letting the consumer deal with any problems, after all, new technology brings new advancements, (new marketing tools?) often enough for many computers to be technically obsolete after only a few years.

Sadly, the article states, "Roughly a third of our survey participants reported encountering one or more significant hardware or software problems with their desktops. Only laptops caused headaches at a similar rate. "

Computer running very slowly 15619710
Back to top Go down
Daniel Claesson
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Daniel Claesson

Male
Number of posts : 454
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Computer running very slowly   Computer running very slowly Icon_minitimeFri 10 Jun - 5:07

By a Apple computer and you will never regret that. I switched to Mac and have never looked back. It is worth every singel dollar.

I also switched my profesion/work from PC technichian to Apple technichian a short while after i switched.

Regards
Daniel
Back to top Go down
Kelly Chabak
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Kelly Chabak

Female
Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Computer running very slowly   Computer running very slowly Icon_minitimeFri 10 Jun - 7:47

Hi April,

You should sacrifice to whatever gods you hold dear that it even works:) Good luck Very Happy
It could always start acting like Hal the computer from the movie "2001".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Computer running very slowly   Computer running very slowly Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Computer running very slowly
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: Off Topic :: General Discussions-
Jump to: