VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Bitis worthingtoni help!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Craig Van Rensburg
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-04-28

Bitis worthingtoni help! Empty
PostSubject: Bitis worthingtoni help!   Bitis worthingtoni help! Icon_minitimeSun 1 Jun - 2:37

Hi Everybody,

I managed to get a lovely pair of B. worthingtoni earlier this year. I am keeping them rather cool (16 - 22 deg. centigrade) with an underfloor heater under one small corner of the aquarium. Here it can reach 32 degreees. The aquarium is a standard 2 foot (60cm) with a gauze/mesh lid for plenty ventilation. I have given plenty hiding spots and security (dead leaves and rocks). There is also a spot light in the day which shines only in one corner.

Now, my problem is the male ate only twice since I had him. Both times were in the first 2 weeks that i had him. He would not eat willingly these 2 times and needed to be 'teased'. Once he had bitten the rodent and got a 'taste', he would eat.

Now he has refused food for about 3/4 months and I am a little worried. His condition and behaviour are still normal in my eyes, although he is a little slender. Out of desperation I have even tried a live Hemidactylus gecko, which he didn't eat (Its still in his cage over a week).

He never sits on the heated areas or never basks under the lamp.

The female on the other hand eats willingly and very well. She is always on the hotspot. These animals are seperated each in their own aquarium. Their aquariums are next to each other. Do you think her pheremones are disturbing the male's appetite?

I just cant figure it out and dont want to stress the animal by force feeding. He is already a more irate animal than the female.

Has anybody had experience with these. Marco Buegel kindly advised me to raise the temperature and humidity. I did this but there has been no difference.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help.

Here is the stubborn male:
Bitis worthingtoni help! Worthingtoni_male

And the female thats does vey well.
Bitis worthingtoni help! Worthingtoni_female
Back to top Go down
http://www.2xl.co.za
Marco Buegel
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Hi Craig   Bitis worthingtoni help! Icon_minitimeSun 1 Jun - 3:47

Sad to hear that you still got the same old problem as we discussed last time Rolling Eyes

Don't think that pheromones are involved, but of course I can't proof it....

Male are always the problem, it doesn't matter if you keep schneider, peringueyi or caudalis - if an animals makes problem or isn't interested to eat on itsself, mostly it's one of the males.

But with worthingtoni you always got problems, have had some of them and friends of mine too - we all have had problems only with the males, never with females - the girls are great eatingmaschines.

In a few cases we had some luck with rising the temp and humidity a little bit, in other cases it didn't show any effect unfortunately Sad

Maybe the males are more controlled by hormones and metabolic changes or something like that, then females are. Or maybe they prefer lizzards and skins as prey item, and only females are good rodent eaters ?!?

Did you try different sizes and colors in mice ?? Maybe that could als be a solution, especially if the are used to a special foor item you can't replace with a white laboratory mouse or something like that.

It's very difficult to work with worthingtoni, and it's the only one species ever, where I have had to say that I am not able to give them what they would need - so I decided to stop working with them.

Whish you all the best and better luck with them, then I have had in the past......

Cheers
Marco
Back to top Go down
Craig Van Rensburg
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Bitis worthingtoni help!   Bitis worthingtoni help! Icon_minitimeSun 1 Jun - 4:03

Hi Marco, thanks for your reply.

You are right, many dwarf Bitis's males can be difficult. Yet I have always found they will still take lizards or geckos.

I have tried different mouse sizes and colours as you suggest, but they have all been laboratory mice. Maybe I should try a more wild type.

For about a week there has been a live Hemidactylus maboiua gecko in his cage and he hasn't taken that yet. I want to try a skink or lizard, but i havent found one yet.

I am hoping the male is maybe fasting. I have had snakes go off food for months and then start eating again. A Crotalus scuttelatus I once had, would refuse food for 6 months of the year (winter) without fail but lived for very long. I currently have a Cryptelytrops venustus male that also only eats every 2 months or so and he is healthy.

I will keep trying and post any developments here...

Thanks and Regards

Craig
Back to top Go down
http://www.2xl.co.za
Maik Dobiey

Male
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Bitis worthingtoni help!   Bitis worthingtoni help! Icon_minitimeTue 10 Nov - 23:13

Hi,

I have been to the habitat of Bitis worthingtoni.
Some interesting info on the temperatures may be:
At daytime temperature in the dry and wet season may go up to 35-40 degrees centigrade. Though in the shade lower of course.
At night time temperature drop considerably but during the wet season nights are warm (like 16-20 degrees). During dry season temperatures can drop much lower at night.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Maik Dobiey

Male
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Bitis worthingtoni help!   Bitis worthingtoni help! Icon_minitimeSat 14 Nov - 0:42

BTW your stubborn male is the most beautiful specimen I have ever seen! Congrats!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bitis worthingtoni help!   Bitis worthingtoni help! Icon_minitimeSun 15 Nov - 12:03

Just make sure to keep him hydrated. I've had males stop eating for up to 13 months and then one night start again and never miss a meal since then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bitis worthingtoni help!   Bitis worthingtoni help! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bitis worthingtoni help!
Page 1 of 1