VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

First '08 squamigera babies

Go down 
+2
René Ries
Christian Moisander
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male
Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-04-27

First '08 squamigera babies Empty
PostSubject: First '08 squamigera babies   First '08 squamigera babies Icon_minitimeWed 4 Jun - 9:50

Well, I thought I'd share since I'm not sleepy yet...

In February, a yellow female dropped 9 unfertilized eggs and 3 tiny babies. I'm not 100% sure who the father is, since this female shared a terrarium with a green male for about two years. No action ever witnessed. In 2007 this female copulated with "0601", so he might be the father...

First the two males. The second one is a bit difficult for me to photograph, so his photo is the one taken shortly after birth. He's light grey, but in photos he appears mostly turqoise. I need to practice...
The third one is the female.
Hope you enjoy...

First '08 squamigera babies P1050387

First '08 squamigera babies P1040990

First '08 squamigera babies P1050415
Back to top Go down
René Ries
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
René Ries

Male
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: First '08 squamigera babies   First '08 squamigera babies Icon_minitimeWed 4 Jun - 22:02

Hey Christian!
Congrats - these are cute little squams!

I like the first one a lot!

Great!
Beste wishes
René
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male
Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: First '08 squamigera babies   First '08 squamigera babies Icon_minitimeThu 5 Jun - 3:41

Those guys are looking great, Christian! I love the banded ones, but I also can get attached to a nice solid colored animal no matter what color it is, you know? So that female is really cool for that, plus she's GOLD! Bonus! Nice man, thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arborealvipers.com
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: First '08 squamigera babies   First '08 squamigera babies Icon_minitimeSat 7 Jun - 6:48

Thank you very much guys! Glad you like them.
I too like the first one. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I kinda hope both males would stay grey or at least turn into something other than green... Wink

I used to desire mostly single colored, patternless individuals in the beginning, but have since started to really appreciate every variation. Still, it would be nice to have one solid colored specimen of each color in my collection Laughing

I used to have a larger copy of Louis Porras' photo (Fauna, Vol. 1, No. 2, 1997) on my wall in which there were solid blue, red and orange as well as green/yellow & black/turqoise specimens, one each. I used to look at that and wonder if I'd ever be able to even keep this species to begin with...
Come to think of it, I liked that photo so much I wrote a letter to mr. Porras, asking if that photo might be available as a poster. I sent the letter to the magazine and asked the staff to forward it to him. Surprisingly they did do that and mr. Porras was kind enough to personally reply. That was cool.
How's that for trivial nostalgia? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Al Hyde
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: First '08 squamigera babies   First '08 squamigera babies Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jul - 17:14

Well done Christian, great looking babies Smile

By the way, I did get your last very sad email, will reply soon
All the best,
Al
Back to top Go down
Brance Mauldin
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Brance Mauldin

Male
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-07-01

PostSubject: Re: First '08 squamigera babies   First '08 squamigera babies Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jul - 23:45

Hey Christian, I had some gray-banded baby squams born in January that turned a bluish tone after they shed. It seemed the darker they were at birth, the more blue they expressed once they had their first shed. Good looking babies either way.
Back to top Go down
Brance Mauldin
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Brance Mauldin

Male

PostSubject: Re: First '08 squamigera babies   First '08 squamigera babies Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jul - 23:52

I just realized that if you look at Derek's topic below this one (squam babies '07) the last two babies came from my litter born in January. The ones I held back look like the last one pictured except the greenish colors are replaced with blue. Here is a picture of one I held back.
First '08 squamigera babies DSC01181-1
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: First '08 squamigera babies   First '08 squamigera babies Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul - 5:21

Thanks a lot Al & Brance.

Al, yeah, things took a turn for worse indeed. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Brance, your hold-back is very nice looking specimen.
The male on the first pic of this post shed two days ago, and didn't really change in appearance as far as I can tell. I wonder if that's the way it's gonna be...
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: First '08 squamigera babies   First '08 squamigera babies Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 20:23

New shots from yesterday, just for the hell of it.

Actually, I have a new camera I'm trying out, and I'm desperately trying to figure out how to more consistently get ok photos with it. So far it seems that my old little camera gets me better results, with the new one it's a complete lottery... Laughing

Individuals are in the same order as in the original post.

First '08 squamigera babies P1010011

First '08 squamigera babies P1010004

First '08 squamigera babies P1000998
Back to top Go down
Brance Mauldin
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Brance Mauldin

Male

PostSubject: Re: First '08 squamigera babies   First '08 squamigera babies Icon_minitimeSun 31 Aug - 2:22

Love that yellow/ gold female. She would pair up nicely with my solid orange '07 male.
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male
Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: First '08 squamigera babies   First '08 squamigera babies Icon_minitimeSun 31 Aug - 6:39

Looks like you WON the lottery with that last photo!!! Nice depth, it's very sharp, and I love the butter tips on the scales there! What type of camera and lens did you get?

The males are a bit disappointing since they haven't done anything interesting yet, but the female makes up for it! Nice!
Back to top Go down
http://www.arborealvipers.com
Stefan Thomson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Stefan Thomson

Male
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: First '08 squamigera babies   First '08 squamigera babies Icon_minitimeSun 31 Aug - 7:08

Very nice, especially that first one would look much better in my terrarium Wink
I have to agree that the last photo rocks. And you must be a magician or something to get such pictures with the camera you use Laughing Or did you use the new camera on these pics??
Please, keep posting more pics!
Back to top Go down
http://www.exotic-animals.tk
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: First '08 squamigera babies   First '08 squamigera babies Icon_minitimeSun 31 Aug - 7:14

Thanks guys!

Brance, I'm sure they'd create some kick-a** babies. Like I've said to Derek before, curse this distance... Evil or Very Mad

Derek, thanks. It's one of the best lottery prizes ever. Wish I had the actual skill required to take shots like that Laughing
I guess I could reveal my top-secret photographing technique; it's point, curse, shoot, curse some more, delete, (optional loud cursing), repeat X times until desired frame is born. Haha!
But seriously, my old camera was Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5 and the new one is Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-18. This new one really seems like a great camera, I just don't have the hang of it. That's why I haven't sold my old one yet...

I've been surprised to see that the males are not changing at all, really. Haven't even noticed if new black scales have appeared or not. Although, I do like them they way they are, I don't have any others which would look like them.

The mother of these three has been copulating with a green male today, for about 1-2 hours now, I think. Unbelievable!
The male has rather minimal pattern and I've not used him before, so I'd be grateful to see offspring from these two. I don't think there's going to be any hidden extras, but you never know Very Happy

Yeah, Stefan, I used the new gear on the updated shots. And I used the old one on the original shots on the first post.
Will do, as I get pics that I'm not too ashamed to bring to daylight Wink
I hope that eventually I could offer a baby like that to you too. We'll see...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First '08 squamigera babies   First '08 squamigera babies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First '08 squamigera babies
Page 1 of 1