VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

B. nasicornis, question about reproduction

Go down 
+2
Mario Lutz
Christian Moisander
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male
Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-04-27

B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Empty
PostSubject: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitimeSat 14 Jun - 9:04

I thought I'd share a situation I've had with one of my female rhinos. In case someone has had similar experiences, hopefully they'd chip in as well, as I am not experienced in this regard...

This particular female has been copulating with a male, on and off, from July '07 to October '07.
June 4th (2008) I gave her a < 300g rat, which is pretty normal meal for her.
June 6th she had pooped, and I also witnessed her regurgitate the meal. At this point I also spotted one unfertilized egg in the enclosure. Or that's what I thought it was.
June 8th I noticed two more unfertilized eggs in the enclosure.

Since then it's been quiet, nothing special going on as far as I can tell.
Naturally I'm wondering if there will be live ones some day soon. I assume if everything inside her were unfertilized, wouldn't she have dropped them all by now? And I also assume that there is something there, taking up space, since the rat was returned two days after feeding.
Whatever the case, this is very exciting for me, and I'm rather impatienced, waiting to see what happens next...

This is the first 'egg' out of the female. It was upside down in the terrarium, so I could only see the orange stuff until I picked it up.
The two others were smaller and they did not contain a baby snake, just the orange mass.
B. nasicornis, question about reproduction P1050436

And this is the female in question, WC '05 from Uganda.
B. nasicornis, question about reproduction P1010557
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitimeSat 14 Jun - 10:19

strange thing christian, but you look lucky at the end, the young snake looks pretty "finish" to me, the orange stuff is dry egg joke.. dont know - why the babies was dying - normally, in a earlier stage the female will re-absorb them..

best of luck next time..

is your female drinking enough?

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitimeSat 14 Jun - 17:23

Thank you for the input Mario.

Yes, the baby had developed completely as far as I can tell.
I do hope next time would go better.

I would like to say that the female has been drinking enough. There was a dry period in the winter, but even then I offered water at least once a week. I'd let her drink as much as she would, if she started to drink.
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitimeTue 24 Jun - 4:24

Just in case someone's interested or might offer more advise/comments, here's what has happened since my last post:

June 17th: She had dropped 1 stillborn baby and 1 unfertilized egg.
June 18th: She had dropped another unfertilized egg and refused a small (~100g) rat.
June 22nd: She had dropped 2 stillborn babies and 2-3 unfertilized eggs.

As before, she's been offered water at least twice per week.
Since she's dropping dead material at rather irregular intervals, I don't have much hope for her giving birth to any live babies.

I would like to figure out what went wrong, of course.
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul - 5:39

Well, let's close this chapter, then.
This picture is worth at least several thousand curse words.

B. nasicornis, question about reproduction P1050620
Back to top Go down
Al Hyde
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul - 6:12

Hi Christian

This is so so sad, to actually see the picture really brings home to me how you must have felt.

Sorry my friend, here's to future success with nasicornis

Best regards,
Al
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul - 6:57

Thank you so much for the kind words Al.
I was devastated not only because this litter failed, but because I lost my favorite nasicornis female. I couldn't pick up that something was wrong and it cost dearly. Crying or Very sad
Hopefully some day I get to correct whatever mistakes I made and see live babies born...
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul - 11:44

Hi Christian...

i am sorry for your lost...
this feeling i had to many times myself....

best wishes for the next attempt

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Gavin Carpenter
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul - 12:41

Hi Christian
Sorry man! That sucks! Its really hard when this happens and I really hope you come right in the future! What length was the female? The Ugandan ones are so beautiful!.
Cheers
Gavin
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul - 18:03

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the kind words. I know I'm not the only one to experience this kind of incident, but boy have I been saddened by it.

Hi Gavin, I agree in that Ugandans are some of the best ones around.
By my estimation, I'd say this female was around 80-90 cm.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy Cederhag
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Jimmy Cederhag

Male
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitimeThu 31 Jul - 1:20

Ouch.!
Im sorry for your lost.

Cheers
Jimma
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitimeThu 31 Jul - 3:50

Thanks a lot Jimmy, I appreciate that.
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep - 1:29

It's f****n' happening again...
This time with my largest female.

On Sept. 10th, in the evening, said female started to drop slugs. Within 24 hours she had dropped 16 slugs, roughly 50/50 between fully formed babies and unfertilized eggs.
After that, nothing.

Obviously I'm scared to death that the events will follow suit with the original story on this thread. In my opinion she's too big to have only 16 slugs in her.
Wouldn't mind being wrong, though... I just hope she makes it.

I'm still confused as to why this keeps happening.
She's been fed modestly, and she stopped eating on her own accord. She's been given water as much as she will drink, when she will drink. She had an access to a modest basking spot, while general temp has varied according to season. There's been a cooler, drier period as well as warmer and more humid/wet period.

Again, any creative and helpful thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
The obvious difference to the original story is the fact that this female dispelled more material relatively continuously.

B. nasicornis, question about reproduction P1040651

Noticed something odd on one of the dead babies... They were hard/dried outside the baby's tail-end.
Looked like leeches almost. Never seen anything like it.
B. nasicornis, question about reproduction P1040655
Back to top Go down
Al Hyde
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep - 20:09

Hi Christian,
So sorry mate, that's absolutely devastating to see.

Can I ask that you check the temp in your basking spot and tell me what it's at?

Cheers,
Al
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep - 4:20

Damn that sucks. I'm terribly sorry for this happening again..
Back to top Go down
http://nothingtosayphoto.blogspot.com/
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitimeWed 23 Sep - 0:25

Thanks Al & Sami.
It really was depressing to see this happening again.
At this point the female is alive and coiled as usual. Even shed her skin few days ago.

To answer your question Al, it varies depending on the seasons.
During the warmest months, usually June-July, the basking light is mostly off. It may be on for 2-4 hours, depending on the behavior of the snakes as well as the general temperature.

At highest it's been around 30-33C, but only for short periods of time, and elsewhere in the terrarium the temperature has been 25-28C during the summer days.
Admittedly it's difficult to get decent night-time drops in the summer, it may not go much lower than 24C if it's really warm.

Usually daytime temps are around 23-26C or 25-28C, depending on the season.
In the fall and winter night-time temps are easier to lower, and at the lowest they are 15-16C. Winter is the drier season for them.

I just checked, and right now the general day temp is 24-25C.

I have another pair above this large female, and since yesterday the male has been hard at work trying to copulate with the female. So far, no luck.
But on the other hand, I recall that female has copulated with two males in the past 1-2 year period.
We'll see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitimeFri 25 Sep - 5:53

Sept. 24th: 2 unfertilized eggs
Back to top Go down
Al Hyde
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitimeSun 27 Sep - 17:11

Hi Christian,

So sad to hear this. The only thing I can suggest is that maybe the varying temp's are causing this. From what i've read from other long term keepers nasicornis thrives best in captivity when kept at a steady year round day and night temp'.
I've also noticed that mine do alot better since i've followed this rule.

Not much I know, but I sincerely hope you manage to find out what causing this.
All the best mate,
Al
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitimeWed 30 Sep - 5:49

Hi Al.

Thanks a lot for letting me know that.
I'll look into keeping them at less varying temps. Cheers.
I would really like to figure out why this is happening.

Sept 28th: 1 unf. egg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: B. nasicornis, question about reproduction   B. nasicornis, question about reproduction Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

B. nasicornis, question about reproduction
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: Viperidae :: Bitis-
Jump to: