VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Cape Town Bitis arietans

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Brett Glasby
Brett Glasby

Male
Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-08-04

Cape Town Bitis arietans Empty
PostSubject: Cape Town Bitis arietans   Cape Town Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 14:54

Hi Venomland
I thought it a good idea to show you a few Puff adders which have been caught in peoples homes in and around Cape Town.

Cape Town Bitis arietans 13082010

Cape Town Bitis arietans Dscn0410

Cape Town Bitis arietans 17082010

Back to top Go down
Henco Nienaber
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Bitis arietans   Cape Town Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 16:12

The second one is very nicely coloured, they are usually like that on the coast but also sometimes inland. Where was this one from?

H
Back to top Go down
http://www.bergrivier.co.za
Brett Glasby
Brett Glasby

Male

PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Bitis arietans   Cape Town Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 16:23

The first one from Hout Bay, second from Scarborough and the third are all from the Fish Hoek valley.
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2011-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Bitis arietans   Cape Town Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 16:32

Awesome Puff Adders , Bitis arietans, the information i take from the pics are theyre size massive , for field collected specimens , in captivity the one large may be viewed as over fed .

informative , regards.
Back to top Go down
Henco Nienaber
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Bitis arietans   Cape Town Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 16:35

Sorry dont want to hijack your post but this one is more inland from Ceres area( appr. 150km from Cape town).
Amazing the major differnce between them.

This is what makes pin pointing localities so diffucult, we easily tend to just say province...
Ceres
Cape Town Bitis arietans IMG_9762
Back to top Go down
http://www.bergrivier.co.za
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Bitis arietans   Cape Town Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 22:14

Brett Glasby wrote:
Hi Venomland
I thought it a good idea to show you a few Puff adders which have been caught in peoples homes in and around Cape Town.

Some fine looking snakes, Mr. Glasby; although probably not what most people would want to find in their house... Always good to see, real, live, wild specimens. Thanks for posting this. I trust that the beasts were relocated unharmed away from unappreciative Humans? Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Brett Glasby
Brett Glasby

Male

PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Bitis arietans   Cape Town Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 23:07

The really big girl is almost definately close to delivering a batch of little biters!

Thanks Jon, all of these were safely released within the boundaries of nature reserves with the permission of the relevant rangers. On average through the Season we remove up to nine snakes a day out of homes and gardens where the snake is unfortunately not welcome. One amazing point to make is that we are recieving more and more calls from areas where snakes were previously killed on sight due to superstition... Education is winning the day.
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Bitis arietans   Cape Town Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 23:30

Brett Glasby wrote:

'... all of these were safely released within the boundaries of nature reserves with the permission of the relevant rangers. On average through the Season we remove up to nine snakes a day out of homes and gardens where the snake is unfortunately not welcome. One amazing point to make is that we are recieving more and more calls from areas where snakes were previously killed on sight due to superstition... Education is winning the day'.
This is good to hear(that the general public in your neck of the woods is making an effort to have uninvited snakes on their property or in their homes humanely removed and relocated). Perhaps, if it's possible, you could please keep us updated from time to time with photographs of the specimens that you find and the local habitat that you release them in? I'm sure that this would be very much appreciated by the members here- especially for the fellows like me who can only read publications about African snakes. Bitis arietans are a fantastic and seemingly under appreciated beast. Thank you for the additional details, Mr. Glasby. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Brett Glasby
Brett Glasby

Male

PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Bitis arietans   Cape Town Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeTue 23 Aug - 15:26

I will continue to post a few pictures of the snakes we collect and release. On my next release I will take a few locale shots just to give all an idea of what the Fynbos biome looks like.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Bitis arietans   Cape Town Bitis arietans Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cape Town Bitis arietans
Page 1 of 1