VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Ceratophora neonates

Go down 
+6
René Ries
Gavin Carpenter
Christian Moisander
Totte Meilstrup
Bartholin Yann
Derek Morgan
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male
Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Ceratophora neonates Empty
PostSubject: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeThu 26 Jun - 2:32

I picked up three ceratophora neonates at the Columbia, SC reptile show and they are a hoot already. They of course were born from a newly imported female and they are TINY. I fed them pinky legs on Sunday night and they ate very well. I also picked up some adults and two of the females are gravid, so I just hope that the babies make it okay. I'll post pics of them later. Here are the cute babies:

Ceratophora neonates IMG_9865

Ceratophora neonates IMG_9873

Ceratophora neonates IMG_9877
Back to top Go down
http://www.arborealvipers.com
Bartholin Yann
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeThu 26 Jun - 4:46

nice babies i've planned to start keeping atheris in 2009 because my breeding center will be built, i love atheris specially nitschei and desaixi, i hope they will start feeding soon, good luck with your babies and your future mothers!
very cute animals!
Back to top Go down
Totte Meilstrup
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Totte Meilstrup

Male
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeThu 26 Jun - 4:51

They are so cute Derek.
This is the only Atheris species i really really want.
I had a female a couple of years back but she suddenly died Sad

Good luck with them.

Regards
Totte
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male
Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeThu 26 Jun - 5:26

Absolutely awesome.
I know they are in good hands. Can't wait to hear when you breed this species as well Very Happy
They are really gorgeous, I think the second one might grow up to be the nicest. More pictures as they grow, please...
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeSun 29 Jun - 22:51

Thanks guys! The babies defecated four days after feeding, so I will feed them again today. All of the adults fed yesterday, including the two gravid females, and they all took little coaxing to elicit a strike. I'll get some pics of the adults up when I can.

Yeah, Christian, that middle one is going to be sharp.
Back to top Go down
Gavin Carpenter
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Ceratophora   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeMon 30 Jun - 12:31

Hi Derek
I am curious about these. I have been told a few times that if you feed them on rodents, this includes adults, they will all die! They have to be fed frogs. What is your experience with these? I have been put off getting them because feeding frogs is a pain in the A**! I would love to get some, but I dont want to sit and watch them die because I fed them the wrong prey item!
Thanks
Cheers
Gavin
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeTue 1 Jul - 3:09

Hi Gavin

While it is almost certain that they probably feed primarily on frogs in the wild, it is not necessary to keep the adults alive. The adults have been kept alive for years on a rodent diet, including first hand by me. I've heard varying reports that the babies have been fed rodent parts or frogs, but the babies never did well. I've not read of anyone successfully raising them from neonates to adults, so I'm not sure about the babies. If anyone else has any literature on this I'd like to read it. Thanks.

Derek
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeTue 1 Jul - 5:23

Ceratophora neonates IMG_9903

Ceratophora neonates IMG_9901

Ceratophora neonates IMG_9897

Ceratophora neonates IMG_9896
Back to top Go down
René Ries
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
René Ries

Male
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeTue 1 Jul - 5:29

Way too nice Derek!!
My congrats! I love those snakes - just great!!
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeTue 1 Jul - 8:57

the last picture is wired... pencil like snake eats mouse food... lol

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Gavin Carpenter
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Ceratophora   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeTue 1 Jul - 12:47

Hi Derek
Thanks for the reply! Its always better to hear it straight from someone with personal experience!
Cheers
Gavin
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeTue 1 Jul - 22:27

Thanks René! Very Happy They're some of my favorites, as well.

Yeah Mario, I wish the photo was clearer, but I was working without a tripod and the outcome was a little worse than I hoped. But it's still an interesting photo. It looks kind of like a bear's hoof in there instead of a pinky foot.

Anytime Gavin. I'm always happy to swap information with people. Wink
Back to top Go down
Dan Scolaro
Dan Scolaro

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeWed 2 Jul - 13:22

Yea, that last photo looks weird in that the foot looks human like.

Several of the babies I've raised took to day-old pink heads as their first few meals and quickly took to day old pinks as their 3rd or 4th meal. And as such, I was quite surprised to see how large a meal they can hold fit and hold down.

I've kept many for over 6 years now on pinks and fuzzy sized mice with no problems. Mine appreciate a basking lamp to digest.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeWed 2 Jul - 20:17

Cool, Dan. So how many do you think you've raised from neos to adults? Any particular problems to look out for?
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeWed 2 Jul - 22:55

That last feeding shot is great, I love it.
They sure are tiny, I've never had the opportunity to try and raise them from babies. Yet.
Back to top Go down
Dan Scolaro
Dan Scolaro

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeThu 3 Jul - 2:28

I have 3 raised up from wild caught's that dropped babies the last few years and there have been no issues to look for raising them but pace their food so they never get fat and lazy and/or puke a fatty pink. I do keep them well misted just to ensure they have easy sheds and once yours starts taking tiny pinks you will be quite amazed how fast they grow. I have some others gravid here also at the moment including this bumble bee type phased specimen.

Dan

Ceratophora neonates Cerataphorabumblebee1
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeFri 4 Jul - 19:55

That's one of the more beautiful specimens I've ever seen Dan. Used to have that phase myself years ago.
The gravid ones you referred to, have they been imported gravid?
Post pictures once that black/yellow one drops, I'm really curious to see what color they are. Do you know which locality the one on the picture came from?
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeSat 5 Jul - 23:14

Yes, Dan, I too would love to see what type of babies this jungle female drops. Was she bred to another jungle phase male? I have wondered what determines the coloration of the babies, whether it be gentic or if it is locality-specific. In other words, can a jungle phase drop normals, jungles, and olives? Or will they be all jungles, or a mix of whatever phases the parents are?
Back to top Go down
Dan Scolaro
Dan Scolaro

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeSun 6 Jul - 0:53

Well I am not sure of the exact locality as they arrived from Tanzania. On that same shipment was a jumbo sized patternless olive/green male (above).

I've yet to see if these bumble-bee types drop babies so hopefully the female above is indeed gravid and not simply ovulating and will drop some babies to make a neat observation about them.

Sometimes they have been viewed breeding when placing many specimens together, but since they were recently imported, it was difficult to determine if the specimens became gravid from that breeding or were gravid imports as some were buldging females.

And once we emptied a couple of bags into a bare tank from a shipment and before we could seperate them, a couple of the males started to lock with the females. It seemed that the shipping process and all the animals together started the males up onto the females.

Dan

Ceratophora neonates Cerataphoramale1
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jul - 8:35

I've heard from a couple of people that this locality of ceratophora seems to be really prolific, especially straight out of the bag. I'll post more pics if my other two gravid females drop, and you please do the same if yours drop. I especially want to see what the jungle drops. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeThu 7 Aug - 3:11

One of the babies shed. Look at how much lighter it became after the shed....

Ceratophora neonates IMG_9925
Back to top Go down
Al Hyde
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeFri 8 Aug - 18:00

Derek, Christian and Dan, you'll have to stop this. You're making me like atheris almost as much as bitis. The blacks and this baby above are stunners
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeSun 14 Sep - 6:13

Sorry, Al, but there's more temptation for you here! Very Happy Another of the babies shed and it looks pretty nice, too.

Ceratophora neonates IMG_0939

Of course, it is still not as nice as the first one that shed:

Ceratophora neonates IMG_1005

The runt still has yet to shed. He may not be as pretty, but he's my favorite. He's a feisty little thing that just loves to eat:

Ceratophora neonates IMG_0999
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeTue 30 Sep - 3:58

The runt shed and he looks pretty good, too:

Ceratophora neonates IMG_1091
Back to top Go down
David Nixon
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
David Nixon

Male
Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitimeTue 30 Sep - 7:20

Hi Derek, fantastic photographs.

cheers

Dave
Back to top Go down
http://www.midlandsreptiles.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ceratophora neonates   Ceratophora neonates Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ceratophora neonates
Page 1 of 1