VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Road Cruising in Thailand

Go down 
+4
Peter Zürcher
Frank Weinsheimer
Jorg Schenkels
Randy Ciuros
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Road Cruising in Thailand Empty
PostSubject: Road Cruising in Thailand   Road Cruising in Thailand Icon_minitimeSun 18 Sep - 13:59

I was in Thailand from Sept 9 - 16, and we decided to cut through Khao Yai National Park, as it was shorter than driving around it to get to our next destination. It started raining very hard shortly after entering the park at 5:30 pm. Thunder and lightning, the works. We saw a couple different kinds of Deer and some birds as the rain was slowing, right before dark. Driving through the park, now without rain, we came across a yearling Reticulated Python in the middle of the road. I have seen many DOR Reticulated and Burmese Pythons, and Rat Snakes in Thailand, as well as many live Rat Snakes crossing the roads. This was the first live Retic. We stopped and took some photos, and moved it off the road as cars were still going by, now and then.

Road Cruising in Thailand ReticulatedPythonPythonReticulatus1

Road Cruising in Thailand ReticulatedPythonPythonReticulatus2

We drove about 10 more minutes and came across a White-lipped Pit Viper sitting on the road. We got it on a stick and took turns taking photos of it, and then put it up in some tree branches next to where we found it, hoping it would not be killed by passing cars. We were lucky to fine these two alive, as there were many cars cruising through the park, in both directions, and most travel at higher than legal speeds, and would probably have killed the snakes.

Road Cruising in Thailand White-lippedPitViperCryptelytropsalbolabris1

Road Cruising in Thailand White-lippedPitViperCryptelytropsalbolabris2

Road Cruising in Thailand White-lippedPitViperCryptelytropsalbolabris3
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomstreet.com
Jorg Schenkels
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jorg Schenkels

Male
Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Road Cruising in Thailand   Road Cruising in Thailand Icon_minitimeSun 18 Sep - 16:16

realy nice mate a friend of my is there now to herp... did you see any cobra's.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Road Cruising in Thailand   Road Cruising in Thailand Icon_minitimeSun 18 Sep - 18:33

Nice pictures.

I am far from an expert so please don't think I am trying to be, but is that definitely an albolabris?
Back to top Go down
Frank Weinsheimer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Frank Weinsheimer

Male
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Road Cruising in Thailand   Road Cruising in Thailand Icon_minitimeSun 18 Sep - 19:48

Hey Randy,

nice pictures, but the "Albolabris" is actually a Trimeresurus (or whatever the currently used genus name is) macrops.

Best regards

Frank
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Road Cruising in Thailand   Road Cruising in Thailand Icon_minitimeSun 18 Sep - 19:50

That's what I was thinking, it looks like it had some nice blue on it too
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Road Cruising in Thailand   Road Cruising in Thailand Icon_minitimeSun 18 Sep - 21:49

Thanks everyone, nope, no Cobras in the wild Jorg. No Frank and Owen, I am not sure about what it is. I'm a Cobra guy, and I have only kept one Atheris for a few months and pair of Bothrechis (sp) for about 1 year. So, I'm sure you both know better than me, what it is.

When we found it, we both thought White-lipped Pit Viper. Yesterday I looked for photos of Trimeresurus online hoping to post about it correctly and not look like an idiot, haha. Too late, haha. Anyway I came across the website below, and the 2nd snake down looks a little more like what we photographed. It states that the macrops also has a red/brown tail, which I didn't see in the photos on the website of the macrops.

http://bangkokherps.wordpress.com/category/snakes/vipers/

Either way, it was a cool find. Not a Cobra, but cool non-the-less.

So, what is your
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Road Cruising in Thailand   Road Cruising in Thailand Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep - 0:00

I would say macrops too - according to Malhotra & Thorpe, these are the same genus like albolabris (Cryptelytrops)
regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Bob Herrington
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Road Cruising in Thailand   Road Cruising in Thailand Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep - 0:07

Nice pics Randy, thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Road Cruising in Thailand   Road Cruising in Thailand Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep - 1:28

Thanks all I wasn't aware of the name change to Cryptelytrops, until I came to that website. Can anyone tell me the easily noticeable differences between albolabris and macrops? I will inform my buddy that found it with me as to what it actually is. He is more of a Crotalus guy.
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Road Cruising in Thailand   Road Cruising in Thailand Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep - 4:33

Cannot find that paper at the moment, Randy. There are differences in head scalation, if i remember right.
First of all, in your specimen those large eyes responsible for the species name jumped into my eyes....
regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Road Cruising in Thailand   Road Cruising in Thailand Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep - 4:44

No problem about the paper. I believe your right about the eyes Peter. On the website I posted the link to, the photos of the Cryptelytrops macrops, while poor, show a larger eye, and more similar to what we photographed, than the albolabris.
Back to top Go down
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Mike Spencer

Male
Number of posts : 386
Registration date : 2010-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Road Cruising in Thailand   Road Cruising in Thailand Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep - 12:39

Nice night. Thailand is pretty high up on my list of places to visit in the coming years.
Back to top Go down
http://www.michaelrayspencer.com
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Road Cruising in Thailand   Road Cruising in Thailand Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep - 13:48

I think some better places to look for, especially for Cobras might be the rice fields, but I would ask permission before just tromping around someones land. If your there at the right time of year, you will see people in the fields, and you can ask them if they have seen Cobras, and if you can look around if you do not trample the rice. Make sure they know your only wanting photos. They may be scared of the snakes, but they know they keep the rodent population under control which saves them money.

I go to King Cobra Village near Khon Kaen each time I go to Thailand, as it is not far from where my girl lives. We went there last Tuesday, and asked again if anyone could take us out looking for Cobras to photograph. My girl was with us, so being Thai, she can communicate better with them. They will not take you out looking, but a man did offer to take a king from his home, out to a field so we could pretend we found it in the wild, haha. We declined.

I will be going back to Thailand between late Oct. and early Dec when my girl gets her Visa to come to USA, and we plan to go down south near Surat Thani/Phuket area. It will be late in the year for snake hunting, but we will spend more time looking for Cobras.
Back to top Go down
Hans Bergman
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Hans Bergman

Male
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2011-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Road Cruising in Thailand   Road Cruising in Thailand Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep - 19:50

Sounds like you having much fun Smile i know i would
Back to top Go down
Ro vd Bergh
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Ro vd Bergh

Male
Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Road Cruising in Thailand   Road Cruising in Thailand Icon_minitimeTue 20 Sep - 6:19

Cool findings Randy! Sounds like you had a great time.
Next time a cobra would be nice but you probably will. It won't be the last time you're there.

Cheers, Ro.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Road Cruising in Thailand   Road Cruising in Thailand Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Road Cruising in Thailand
Page 1 of 1