VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Moving topics

Go down 
+9
Jan Jonkman
Dexter Bressers
James Shepherd
Jon Davidson
Stefan Anthonijsz
Peter Zürcher
Ro vd Bergh
Randy Ciuros
Jorg Schenkels
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Moving topics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving topics   Moving topics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 14 Dec - 20:42

Not stupid at all, Israel.
To get the board and its content more structured, we will have to adapt some classifications and, in some cases to move topics or posts, but classifying people (and moving some of'em now and then) will open the door to numerous discussions and cause conflicts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Dexter Bressers

Male
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Moving topics   Moving topics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Dec - 0:09

Peter Zürcher wrote:
Who should do these classifications, Dexter? Members themselves when registering or the team members either when activating members or after some postings?
i see here a giant source for discussions or even uproars in cases where members should be downgraded - even worse than in moving posts.

Additionally, we will have another problem. I don't think professionals will visit the beginners section periodical, so beginners will not have a good chance for having their questions seen and answered by professionals. That would be a loss for all of us, because some good, professional threads have been triggered off on this board by good and serious questions of beginners.

To get the board and its content more structured, we will have to adapt some classifications and, in some cases to move topics or posts, but classifying people (and moving some of'em now and then) will open the door to numerous discussions and cause conflicts.

regards
Peter

Yes! I see a real discussion being born so I will try to defend my idea okay? cheers

I was hoping that forum members themselves would be honest enough to have themselves be put into the correct group of peers.
Let me be completely honest here.....if I was to place myself in the professional group I would soon be discovered for what I am, a knowledgeable enthusiast at best. silent
There is no way in which I could contribute relating to the content, in a thread discussing specific behavior in the wild of a certain species, or its genetic and taxonomic classification to name only a few subjects.
That is because everything I know about those subjects is on a hear and tell basis and certainly not from any research that I did.
So, not being able to post in such a discussion presents no problem for me, as long as I can read it all to learn something new.

Furthermore I would hope that professionals were to keep on visiting the boards just as they do now.
I never meant that the board itself should be divided into sections, only that the right to post in a number of boards is being restricted if a member is in another group.
So for professionals there is no need for any change in their visiting behavior, other than that they are now free to choose if they want to participate in a (interesting) discussion started by either a beginner or enthusiast or not.
This is exactly the same as what is happening now and I do not see any difference to justify a change in the behavior of our board members.
On the other hand, if a professional wants to discuss a subject with more depth than average, he/she is free to do so without being bothered by 'pollution' from less knowledgeable members who are not allowed to post there, but who still can read everything in that thread and learn from it. (Which is what is happening now also.... Wink )

And finally this: are people not being classified here already? I have one gold star and the prefix 'newbie' and others have more gold stars and different prefixes like Snakemaster or Serpent Chief.
What does that say about someone? I know that my knowledge is bigger than the knowledge of most twenty-some year olds (some excluded of course) because I was keeping snakes when they were still wearing diapers.

IMPORTANT: To put things in perspective for everyone: I am not trying to make new rules here or get people upset by pushing them into a status they think is undeserved.
The purpose of my post was to open up a discussion on how to get a positive change into the Venomland boards and get the quality of posts up again, nothing more, nothing less.
What I wrote was only an idea and very possibly not the best, but I gladly invite you all to come up with something better..... Very Happy

@Israel: Professionals is only a name tag I used. But if you really want to classify it, your example was not far off.
And lets be honest: We all know who the professionals are don't we? Wink

Back to top Go down
http://www.fotofoosa.nl/
Israel M. Sánchez
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Israel M. Sánchez

Male
Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Moving topics   Moving topics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Dec - 0:32

The 'stars-classification' is the typical of all boards, and only refers to the number of posts. That has nothing to do with expertise or whatever... I think does not mean a thing, really.
Back to top Go down
Jan Jonkman
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jan Jonkman

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Moving topics   Moving topics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Dec - 5:44

Maybe it's just my "simple" way of thinking , but I see a lot of complicated ideas and theories passing the revue here, but I just keep wondering whats wrong with clicking the little red cross in your top right corner when you see a topic you don't like..? Whether it's a topic called "Of possible interest" or a topic featuring the 36th albolabris or ammodytes..

Live and let live people..
Back to top Go down
Israel M. Sánchez
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Israel M. Sánchez

Male

PostSubject: Re: Moving topics   Moving topics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Dec - 8:22

Jan Jonkman wrote:

Indeed Wink

Good days and pleasant nights.
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: Moving topics   Moving topics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Dec - 17:42

Quote :

Cool sayings ain't really helpful here.

If that's your way to tell us you're satiesfied with the forum and its tendencies - okay, accepted as your personal opinion.

But "let live people" cannot go that far, that VenomLand is an open, unruled place where everbody can do at his own will.
Back to top Go down
Israel M. Sánchez
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Israel M. Sánchez

Male

PostSubject: Re: Moving topics   Moving topics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Dec - 18:00

I honestly do not think that was the meaning of the saying IMHO.

And please, all of you remember what VenomLand is, and what it is not. I have had very serious problems in other board because some people loose the grip on reality and transforms a forum board in a real battlefield. I loved VenomLand because here people are indeed normal and you can talk about snakes with no problem. Even now. When I said before that I do not see VenomLand so 'dark' is because I know other places in the net... as I suppose you too. So yes, even if you (or any of us) are not satisfied with the forum and its tendencies, please, live and let live, and that does not mean, at least for me, to not moderate or not having stronger forum rules. For me it is another different thing. Do not be so dramatic because things can be changed for good. Nothing is perfect all the time, and no one is always the best. Just make the necessary changes and go ahead, some people will like it, some not, some will remain here and some others not, but that's life. I think the goal is that this forum persists as an invaluable source of information on biology and captive management of venomous snakes. That was the reason that made me enter here for the first time.

Last edited by Israel M. Sánchez on Thu 15 Dec - 19:28; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jan Jonkman
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jan Jonkman

Male

PostSubject: Re: Moving topics   Moving topics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Dec - 18:09

Peter Zürcher wrote:
Quote :

Cool sayings ain't really helpful here.
If that's your way to tell us your satiesfied with the forum and its tendencies - okay, accepted as your personal opinion.
But "let live people" cannot go that far, that VenomLand is an open, unruled place where everbody can do at his own will.

I don't have the faintest clue why you make it sound like total anarchy is ruling Venomland?
Just because you and some other people don't like all the picture topics?

I think most of the members here enjoy the beautiful pictures posted on this forum, and like I said, if you don't , click the red button.
I do that to when I see pictures of women tangling with Scorpions on their crotch.. or an "Of possible interest" file that just doesn't interest me at that time. That is what live and let live means Peter. Not just a "cool" saying.

If you take away the picture topics there isn't any board left at all. People are proud on their animals and like to show them, and be honest ,there isn't always something "academic" to talk about. And the short reply's on those topics (Wow, stunning animals- Beautiful Dendroaspis!- or That's a humongous scorpion on her crotch! ) are a logical result of that kind of topics. What would you like tot do? Make a character minimum or something like that? The only results you're going to get from something like that is either a lot of bullshit (excuse my French) is being typed down or no posts at all, both resulting to no new topics being posted. After all who's going to post on a board where he/she gets no replies?

Venomland would be like a ghost town in a matter of weeks in my opinion.
Thats why I said. "Live and let Live" , that way there is something for everyone.
And again, if you don't like one topic, move on to the next. Easy as that..

Greetings Jan
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: Moving topics   Moving topics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Dec - 20:24

Quote :
People are proud on their animals and like to show them

my words

Quote :
If you take away the picture topics there isn't any board left at all.

No one wants to take away picture topics from the board, i doubt you read my postings well and unprejudiced.

It's difficult to discuss in a factual way if participants taking care in misunderstanding opponents and turning things out of position.

regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
Jan Jonkman
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jan Jonkman

Male

PostSubject: Re: Moving topics   Moving topics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Dec - 21:49

Peter Zürcher wrote:

No one wants to take away picture topics from the board, i doubt you read my postings well and unprejudiced.
It's difficult to discuss in a factual way if participants taking care in misunderstanding opponents and turning things out of position.

Oh sorry, my bad I actually didn't read that part, but I think i was exaggerating to make a point. But to say I'm prejudiced against you? Why, I don't know you, and have nothing against you.
Everything I'm saying is just in the best interest of this board ( In my opinion it is at least ).

You say It's hard to discuss that way, maybe it makes it even more hard to discuss certain matters when you single out the only fault in the whole text and ignore the rest of the story..

greetings Jan
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: Moving topics   Moving topics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Dec - 22:23

Quote :
But to say I'm prejudiced against you?

I didn't say that, Jan.
One cannot only be prejudiced against a person, but against ideas, proposals or modifications from whom they ever may come from.
Nice to hear that you do all "in the best interest for the board" - welcome to the club!
regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
Jan Jonkman
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jan Jonkman

Male

PostSubject: Re: Moving topics   Moving topics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Dec - 3:38

Jan Jonkman wrote:

Maybe it makes it even more hard to discuss certain matters when you single out the only fault in the whole text and ignore the rest of the story..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moving topics   Moving topics - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Moving topics
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3