VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Bitis schneideri

Go down 
+6
Walter Silva
Chaim Haveman
Sebastian Arvidsson
Albert Gracer
Philipp Einfalt
Henco Nienaber
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Henco Nienaber
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-11-21

Bitis schneideri  Empty
PostSubject: Bitis schneideri    Bitis schneideri  Icon_minitimeWed 28 Dec - 15:12

Thought I would share this pic of a very nice red Namaqua Dwarf adder I saw over the weekend.

Bitis schneideri  SchneideriFER

H
Back to top Go down
http://www.bergrivier.co.za
Philipp Einfalt
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Philipp Einfalt

Male
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Bitis schneideri  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bitis schneideri    Bitis schneideri  Icon_minitimeWed 28 Dec - 19:43

Hi Henko!
Very nice! Tell us more! Something about the location....
best regards
Philipp
Back to top Go down
Henco Nienaber
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

Bitis schneideri  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bitis schneideri    Bitis schneideri  Icon_minitimeWed 28 Dec - 21:41

Hi Phillip

Im unfortunately not going to share any information regarding locality as this would just be a reason for people to exploit this threatened species more!

Btw - Red Namaqua dwarf adders are well known to do horribly in captivity and die easily!

I believe you'd understand.

H
Back to top Go down
Albert Gracer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Albert Gracer

Male
Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2011-11-07

Bitis schneideri  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bitis schneideri    Bitis schneideri  Icon_minitimeThu 29 Dec - 0:54

You are absolutly right Henco.

The picture and the snake are very beautiful, thanks.

Cheers,
Albert
Back to top Go down
http://www.stalgo-exotic.com
Sebastian Arvidsson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sebastian Arvidsson

Male
Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2011-02-13

Bitis schneideri  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bitis schneideri    Bitis schneideri  Icon_minitimeThu 29 Dec - 5:16

wow! so cool! very nice!
Back to top Go down
Chaim Haveman
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Chaim Haveman

Male
Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Bitis schneideri  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bitis schneideri    Bitis schneideri  Icon_minitimeSun 1 Jan - 21:34

a little jewel!
very nice.
Back to top Go down
Walter Silva
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Walter Silva

Male
Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2009-06-15

Bitis schneideri  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bitis schneideri    Bitis schneideri  Icon_minitimeTue 3 Jan - 12:01

Henco:

Very nice dwarf...It´s one my favorites dwarfs...

I listened about, is very complicated the feeding in babies, is it difficult?

Congrats man!!

Back to top Go down
Martti Niskanen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martti Niskanen

Male
Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Bitis schneideri  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bitis schneideri    Bitis schneideri  Icon_minitimeTue 3 Jan - 19:00

Henco Nienaber wrote:
Im unfortunately not going to share any information regarding locality as this would just be a reason for people to exploit this threatened species more!

Hear hear!
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

Bitis schneideri  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bitis schneideri    Bitis schneideri  Icon_minitimeTue 3 Jan - 22:14

Good intention , but I am quite sure that this threatened species as well as other will find the way to Europe / USA soon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Henco Nienaber
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

Bitis schneideri  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bitis schneideri    Bitis schneideri  Icon_minitimeThu 5 Jan - 20:32

Fabian - Unfortunately so many wild caught Bitis does go overseas already!

That is why some people (including myself) are trying to breed a variety of localities and species so that CB stock can become available more often, but snakes like B. schneideri is not kept by any person I know!
B. caudalis
B. cornuta
B. atropos
B xerepaga
are the more common species in captivity and are being bred successfully.

Snakemaster I have no idea but I can only think such a minute animal will not be easy to keep, although I know some people have had success in keeping them alive but not bred!

They live in a very unique environment where mist rolls in almost every morning, nights tend to be fairly cool and day temps spike up very high. It would be near impossible to recreated this in a cage.

H

Back to top Go down
Marco Buegel
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Bitis schneideri  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bitis schneideri    Bitis schneideri  Icon_minitimeThu 5 Jan - 21:58

Years ago I already had B. schneideri in my collection. Unfortunately most WC animals die very soon, it really depends a lot of how the animals have been transported and housed until they are sold. Interesting fact is that females always did very well for me, and I never ever lost a single female, but males are a pain in the A**..... they always died and rarely accept food in between.

That's why I decided not to start again with schneideri as long as there are no SA CB animals available. Its a stupid thing just to ''import'' snakes (not to mention that most are illegaly WC), just to see them die @ you place...... that's very very sad for some of these already threatened or at least hard to find species in the wild, and also bullshit for your wallet. That's not worth it, the only winner in this game is the one who distributes them and makes the cash.

B. caudalis are very very easy to breed, have had babies myself already years ago before the where kept by too many people. 3 times I even bred these myself and twice I had received a pregnant female..... anyway, breeding is no big deal. Only problem is it to put female and male together, because I had adult females at home with the ''Nickname'' : Black Widow...... think this says all. These 2 females have never bred for me because the bite or even killed and swallowed every male I offered. They just where a nice and welcome snack :-(

The same for cornuta, easy to bred

B. atropos I have never bred yet, but I am working on it...... also here is problem that these guys are cannibalistic (sometimes).

B. xeropaga is even more rare, and hard to get nice and pretty animals.

But what I am missing is Bitis peringueyi ! These guys I also had many years ago with good success and also had babies more then just once. They are really fantastic snakes, very nice and interesting in behaviour and usually do very very well- can usually also be switched to mice very easy and also the babies are not too difficult.

just my two cents

Back to top Go down
Henco Nienaber
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

Bitis schneideri  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bitis schneideri    Bitis schneideri  Icon_minitimeThu 5 Jan - 23:18

Thanks for that Marco.
I truly hope that more people would realize that WC animals are prone for disease or death and the majority of the animals collected are not even attempted to be bred in SA and shipped overseas for the quick buck! It sickens me!

I really hope that some of us in SA and the breeders abroad will have a good breeding season so that some more CB animals can become available.

I think I've been very lucky to see many of South africa's dwarf Bitis.
Bitis caudalis
Bitis cornuta
Bitis atropos
Bitis rubida
Bitis scnheideri

Then Bitis xeropaga and Bitis armata - hopefully I can check them of my list this year!
As for inornata and albanica that is another story...

H

Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Bitis schneideri  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bitis schneideri    Bitis schneideri  Icon_minitimeSat 14 Jan - 11:28

On a bit of a side note, there is an article in the current issue of the Journal of Herpetology(Vol. 45, No. 4, December 2011; pps: 457-462) entitled: 'Morphology, Sexual Dimorphism and Growth in the Smallest Viperid, Bitis schneideri(Reptilia: Squamata: Viperidae)' by Brian Maritz and Graham J. Alexander, that might be of possible interest. Good photograph, Mr. Nienaber. Thank you for posting it. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bitis schneideri  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bitis schneideri    Bitis schneideri  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bitis schneideri
Page 1 of 1