VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Atheris hispida

Go down 
+19
Peter Zürcher
Rafał Broński
Piero Moroni
Shawn Caswell
Trey Keyes
Gustavo Toledo
Bob Herrington
Philipp Einfalt
Nigel Sowter
Pascal Buri
Lukáš Vítek
Jaroslav Karhánek
Andrew Hacket
Omar Abraham Nelo
Sami Heikkinen
Jean-Pierre Linossier
Manuel Ebert
Tomaz Jagar
Rene Schenk
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rene Schenk
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Rene Schenk

Male
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb - 5:46

I'm in love

Atheris hispida 2012_014

Atheris hispida 2012_015

Atheris hispida 2012_016

they're so cute and handsome.
Rene

BTW: that's a adult male, just shed.
Back to top Go down
Tomaz Jagar
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2012-01-20

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb - 5:55

Gorgeus animal you have there Smile

Does anyone know of any animals available, perhaps on Hamm?
Back to top Go down
Manuel Ebert
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb - 6:13

Damn nice, Rene! One day I'll have some of them as well. The nicest Atheris sp.! Wish you good luck with them!

Kind Regards, Manuel
Back to top Go down
http://www.manuelebertherpetology.com
Jean-Pierre Linossier
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jean-Pierre Linossier

Male
Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb - 15:42

Stunning animal, have you got a female for him ?
Could you tell us a little about your keeping parameters ?

Kind regards
Back to top Go down
http://viperidae.fr
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeThu 16 Feb - 0:51

Stunning snakes as usual! Now hunting earthworms etc. for the buggers?
How many of them did you get?
Back to top Go down
http://nothingtosayphoto.blogspot.com/
Omar Abraham Nelo
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Omar Abraham Nelo

Male
Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2011-04-14

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeThu 16 Feb - 1:49

amazin snake.... congrat!!
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male
Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeThu 16 Feb - 18:02

YOH !!! That's the best pictures I have seen of this species !! AMAZING !! Thank-you.
Back to top Go down
Jaroslav Karhánek
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jaroslav Karhánek

Male
Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeThu 16 Feb - 20:29

wow, amazing. If you could share with us some info about how you keep them and so on I would really appreciate it. And how many of them do you have?
Back to top Go down
http://www.bushmaster.estranky.cz/
Lukáš Vítek
Lukáš Vítek

Male
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeThu 16 Feb - 21:38

Dragon snake Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Pascal Buri

Male
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-03-18

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeFri 17 Feb - 16:41

For me one of the most beautiful snakes! What do you feed it with?

Best regards
Pascal
Back to top Go down
Nigel Sowter
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2010-11-29

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeFri 17 Feb - 18:08

Can see why you are in love! Couple of questions posted in relation to food, what "things" do these stunning snakes feed on?
Back to top Go down
Philipp Einfalt
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Philipp Einfalt

Male
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeFri 17 Feb - 18:59

They are so beautiful ! and...please tell us something about the keeping...
best regards
philipp
Back to top Go down
Bob Herrington
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeFri 17 Feb - 21:13

Congratulations, beautiful snake and great pics. As most of the above have asked, let us know what you get it feeding on. Also it would be useful to keep notes on your environmental parameters. I wish you the best with these.
Back to top Go down
Gustavo Toledo
Gustavo Toledo

Male
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeMon 26 Mar - 18:36

[img]Atheris hispida Dsc00710[/img]
Back to top Go down
Gustavo Toledo
Gustavo Toledo

Male
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeMon 26 Mar - 18:46

[img]Atheris hispida Dsc00511[/img][img]Atheris hispida Dsc00613[/img][img]Atheris hispida Dsc00614[/img]
Back to top Go down
Trey Keyes

Male
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeSun 1 Apr - 1:04

Rene, please detail on your success or lack thereof with hispida. I am very interested in the husbandry of them.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Caswell
Shawn Caswell

Male
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2011-02-14

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeSat 14 Apr - 1:48

Rene, absolutely stunning hispida!!!
Back to top Go down
Piero Moroni
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Piero Moroni

Male
Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2012-04-12

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeSat 14 Apr - 4:17

A feast for the eyes your photos, a beautiful beast.
Best..
Back to top Go down
Rafał Broński
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Rafał Broński

Male
Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec - 4:35

I could watch for hours, really beautiful . I also hope that I will succeed in the end to buy his dragon, for some time, this is my holy grail. The most beautiful.
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec - 20:33

Are there reports of succesful breedings? As far as i know only a few specimens, if any at all, have been kept alive in captivity for a really long time.

Definitely a species which should be left in the wilderness in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Stefan Olsson Jr
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Stefan Olsson Jr

Male
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-12-31

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeSat 20 Dec - 20:46

Peter,

And no matter how many times the truth you're expressing is re-mentioned, the downward spiral continues.

The hispida story is a BIG shame on the herpetological community.
Back to top Go down
Rene Schenk
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Rene Schenk

Male
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeWed 24 Dec - 19:38

Sorry guys about the very late answer. I do not Keep hispidas anymore, and will never again buy any of these. Peter Zürcher is right, this spp does not belong in a cage, to many things are unknown about the feeding and their needed pray. I tried almost everything but the animals died anyway. I had 2 babies from a gravid animal and they where doing good, eating snails on there own from the beginning, but after 3 months they died within one week. What i found out is that they eat a special snail with the housing, and this snail i could not find. The parasites you can eliminate and the climat is not that difficult, but the food seems to be the point. So please iff you want them go to africa and pick them yourself including the necessary snails.
Back to top Go down
toni beckman
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-12-19

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeThu 25 Dec - 0:53

I think that last three comments (up), has created one of the most important discussion since long time.
Small but full of respect.
Back to top Go down
Radovan Muška
Radovan Muška

Male
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2010-01-07

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeThu 25 Dec - 3:23

Hello,

firstly I should mention that I have never kept this species.I just feel a need to write here something.
As far as I remember well,these bushvipers have been already successfuly bred - at least 3 times.
Robert Meidinger has even written an article published in magazine Elaphe.I was surprised after reading the paper since it seemed like "not so hard to keep" species.

Meidinger, R. 2000. Erfolgreiche Haltung und Erstnachzucht von Atheris hispidus, der Rauhschuppigen Buschviper. Elaphe 8 (4): 5-10

Another article has been published by a person from Germany.Unfortunately I have never read the stuff.Well,now I am thinking if it is about successful breeding or "only" successful keeping but I think it does not matter.

Fleck, J. 2003. Bemerkungen zur Haltung und Fütterung von Atheris hispida LAURENT 1995. Elaphe 11 (2): 38-42

And the last case I am aware of has been in Czech republic.An extremely experienced person has successfuly bred them in captivity too.There is no article about it.I just remember few main points about captive care shared few years back through a forum.

For instance :

the main problem is they have pretty fast metabolism.This simply is not like squamigera,nitschei etc.Therefore they do not last without water or food too long.I believe after the capture by hunters in wild they are just left without any care,waiting till export into Europe/USA etc.This is the most important part - simply the shorter waiting the better.

After arriving:
rehydratation,no deworming !,naturally furnished cage,earthworms as food,low night time drop 14-16 °C - many breeders do underestimate this rule in my opinion and daily spraying...

I know that is just a theory and practice can turn into a horror movie but once a person is SKILLED ! mainly with WC reptiles,treatment etc and has the unique breeding sensitivity,so why not to try this species ? I believe A.hispida is the category exactly for this kind of people.I am just glad that they are not imported so frequently in high numbers.

Best regards,
Radovan

Back to top Go down
Rafał Broński
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Rafał Broński

Male
Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitimeThu 25 Dec - 4:04

I see an interesting discussion, I've read just about the biggest problem is feeding. Despite this, I think it's one of the most beautiful snakes. Hi Radovan Muška, or you can buy this magazine somewhere? (Elaphe 8 (4): 5-10). Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Atheris hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris hispida   Atheris hispida Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Atheris hispida
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next