VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

taxonomic changes of Naja species

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Zsolt Fekete

Male
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-12-24

taxonomic changes of Naja species Empty
PostSubject: taxonomic changes of Naja species   taxonomic changes of Naja species Icon_minitimeTue 13 Mar - 22:00

Hello,

Recently i found this study about reclassification of true cobras.:

http://www.smuggled.com/AJHI7.pdf

This is the list of "new" species.:

http://www.smuggled.com/coblis1.htm

Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: taxonomic changes of Naja species   taxonomic changes of Naja species Icon_minitimeTue 13 Mar - 22:19

funny - hahaha

try this:
http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2009/f/zt02236p036.pdf
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Omar Abraham Nelo
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Omar Abraham Nelo

Male
Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: taxonomic changes of Naja species   taxonomic changes of Naja species Icon_minitimeWed 14 Mar - 23:41

Hi guys .. but my question is which of the lists is what is currently in effect?? because I'm not very good at taxonomy but I try to stay current and updated .. they give courses and lectures about snakes ...

Greetings!
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: taxonomic changes of Naja species   taxonomic changes of Naja species Icon_minitimeThu 15 Mar - 3:39

Quote :
but my question is which of the lists is what is currently in effect??

The question which lists or which scientific names are currently in effect cannot be answered that easy. Some answers depend upon personal opinions, and no one can finally decide whats right or wrong - it depends partially on acceptance or non-acceptance of other authors.
If you think that african Naja species should be splitted into several different genera - follow Mr. Hoser, if you think they should be left in a single genus Naja, follow the second paper which proposes to treat the different clades as subgenera.

Read both papers, know something about the background and the authors behind - and make your own decision.

If you follow Hosers paper and accept his new genera, be aware of the fact that his new genus Wellsus depends on a mistake (not the only one in that paper) and must be named Uraeus due to taxonomic rules - do you need more help for your decision?

Wolfgang Wüster, an author of the second paper (and VenomLand member) could explain that way better than i do, i'm still a layman when it comes to taxonomy even if i may know some more than the average snake keeper.

regards
Peter

Last edited by Peter Zürcher on Thu 15 Mar - 17:05; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Omar Abraham Nelo
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Omar Abraham Nelo

Male

PostSubject: Re: taxonomic changes of Naja species   taxonomic changes of Naja species Icon_minitimeThu 15 Mar - 3:55

Hello and thank you very much ... I really I have no sort of Naja and less I've seen ... but I know the taxonomy seems appropriate date and accepted by most connoisseurs .. because for me it is important not to give false information or just rooted in the reality, and because I think that the second article is more attached to reality ... and it is less likely to confuse people with the information.

also the problem of taxonomic classification is always latent in all species .. and as every year there are hundreds of publications devoted to reclassify certain genera and families. but I share his view that we need to make personal unjuicio ready to use ... but the idea is to communicate about a particular species all or most of us to use the same key identification without problems .. almost like a universal language taxonomic. but I think it is very difficult .... jejejejejejeje

thank you very much for your help! Greetings ..
Back to top Go down
Scotty Allen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Scotty Allen

Male
Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-11-19

PostSubject: Re: taxonomic changes of Naja species   taxonomic changes of Naja species Icon_minitimeSat 17 Mar - 22:01

Once you have read a few more of Hoser's "papers" if you are completely bored and have absolutely nothing more interesting to do, you will realize that he is definately not where you want to go when trying to get a handle on taxonomy.

Stick with the work of Wolfgang Wüster et al. and you will be much further ahead.
Back to top Go down
Martti Niskanen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martti Niskanen

Male
Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: taxonomic changes of Naja species   taxonomic changes of Naja species Icon_minitimeSun 18 Mar - 2:46

http://www.kingsnake.com/aho/pdf/menu2/littserp.pdf
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: taxonomic changes of Naja species   taxonomic changes of Naja species Icon_minitimeSun 18 Mar - 3:08

I didn't know this - very interesting!
Thanks for posting it here, Martti!
regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
Omar Abraham Nelo
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Omar Abraham Nelo

Male

PostSubject: Re: taxonomic changes of Naja species   taxonomic changes of Naja species Icon_minitimeTue 20 Mar - 0:30

thanks.... for the information... very usefull!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: taxonomic changes of Naja species   taxonomic changes of Naja species Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

taxonomic changes of Naja species
Page 1 of 1