VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

[Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait

Go down 
+2
Piero Moroni
Derek Vallejo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Derek Vallejo

Male
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2012-05-12

[Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait Empty
PostSubject: [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait   [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait Icon_minitimeTue 15 May - 10:59

Hi all !

Great forum, i've bumped around for awhile and reading much, many fantastic pictures, and very impressive enclosures !

I found a baby Crotalus Atrox in my front yard (Austin, Texas) mid-October last year. (7 months i've had him, he's shed since this picture, & now has his first rattle (button only here))

I've assumed it was a male, and he seems very smart, curious & active and is growing fast.

While I've never had a snake before, I treat him with great respect, and want to research an ideal enclosure for 'him' to grow into, I especially like the elegant solution of the 'trap/hide box'

I humbly bow in your presence and am here to learn / be safe

While providing an environment that will have him as comfortable & happy as possible.

Apologies for speaking long, here's my boy:

[Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait 7200078670_32824cb4cc_b

Last edited by Derek Vallejo on Thu 17 May - 2:28; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Piero Moroni
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Piero Moroni

Male
Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2012-04-12

PostSubject: Re: [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait   [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait Icon_minitimeWed 16 May - 0:51

Hello Derek ;

You have a beautiful the beast.
You're very lucky (so to speak) to find it in your yard.

I wish you every success with him..

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Joel Power
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Joel Power

Male
Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-07-29

PostSubject: Re: [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait   [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait Icon_minitimeWed 16 May - 3:03

Not often I say something is cute but thats one cute snake Smile
Back to top Go down
Thiago Rodrigues
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Thiago Rodrigues

Male
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-10-19

PostSubject: Re: [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait   [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait Icon_minitimeWed 16 May - 8:41

It would be a dream to find a Crotalus atrox in the yard of my house!

It takes care of well of it!
Back to top Go down
Derek Vallejo

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait   [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait Icon_minitimeWed 16 May - 10:31

Piero: Yes, I am happy he found me. Good to start with just one, but sad neighbors killed 3 of his brothers/sisters

Joel: Thank you, there are MANY beautiful snakes on here, but I do agree he's cute, maybe when Crotalus Atrox age / mature they look meaner, but it now seems his eyes are more 'open' or less squinty / angry looking than others I've seen pictures of

Thiago: Yes, I am happy I found him with my eyes and not my foot !

Below is a picture of him 1 week after I found him, his house is better now than here, I apologize for such crude environment. I know it's backwards to first get him, and then try to learn about him... but I didn't plan it.

I call this one: they meet

*** edit: image removed ***

Last edited by Derek Vallejo on Wed 16 May - 15:40; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Joel Power
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Joel Power

Male
Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-07-29

PostSubject: Re: [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait   [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait Icon_minitimeWed 16 May - 11:04

I take it the mouse didn't make it out alive Wink
Back to top Go down
Simon Ball
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2010-11-17

PostSubject: Re: [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait   [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait Icon_minitimeWed 16 May - 15:00

Hi, Derek

First, nice snake. Good luck in keeping him, and stay safe!

Second, you might want to rethink posting pics of live prey in with your snake. Your choice in posting it, of course, subject to what the forum mods think, but in many countries this is contrary to laws/regulations, and I think it is likely to offend some members.

Cheers,
S
Back to top Go down
Derek Vallejo

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait   [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait Icon_minitimeWed 16 May - 15:27

Simon, I appreciate the heads up. I wasn't aware of this. my apologies...

I have spent time on the board prior to registration / participation. I even read & followed the no nicks rule !

I also read the faq, but it only seems to address technical side, how to.

Is there a newbie thread I overlooked that touches on rules, or suggestions on proper etiquette, I certainly don't want to offend or step on toes

as a newcomer, to this great board, as well as snakes, I want to be respectful to all

Back to top Go down
Derek Vallejo

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait   [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait Icon_minitimeFri 5 Oct - 3:32

Hi guys, it's been awhile... thought I'd share an update and let you know that Jeffrey is doing well...

He's shed 4 times now and he's close to 1 year old, he's been growing about an inch a month and is now just over 2 feet... I guess this is typical but I don't know...

I was surprised to see him up 'in the rafters' and am not sure if he was just exploring or trying to get closer to light source... I keep his tank at 82 F under the light, and have a second light I turn on daily for a bit that gets it to about 98 F... of course the light is off centered so the other half of the tank would be lower, giving him a range to choose from...

Any thoughts on the constant temperature ? is the high too hot ? low too low ?

here he is doing his impression of a tree snake !
[Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait 8054276466_d24436263c_b

you can see big boy has been growing ! I feed him a mouse every week or so, I usually just wait for him to poop them feed him a day or two after that...

sometimes when he's ready to eat, he comes over and stares at me, and I feel like he's begging for food and saying "Please daddy, give me a mouse" ! Smile

Here's a good view of his rattle progression, he only had his button when I found him so I think he's doing pretty good
[Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait 8054274153_c4856be6b0_b

That voyeur Krusty likes to shoot video !
[Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait 8054295978_3a25573775_b

I got him a new home via the Petco $1 / gallon sale and he's now in his 55 gallon 4 foot tank ! He got tall enough to reach the top, so he's got a new lid now too, screened in the middle, with solid wood around the edges...

I found him the week before halloween last year, and I suspect he was between a week & a month old then since he had already done his 1st shed after birth & had his button...

anyways, hope everyone is doing well and having a good year !

Cheers, Derek
Back to top Go down
Thiago Rodrigues
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Thiago Rodrigues

Male
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-10-19

PostSubject: Re: [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait   [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait Icon_minitimeFri 5 Oct - 22:22

Hi Derek!

I am happy to know that the Crotalus atrox after a somewhere, is healthy and developing!

Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
Derek Vallejo

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait   [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jan - 9:59

Hi Everyone ! Hope y'all are well ! I'm happy to report that Jeffrey & I are still safe and doing great !
Here's a new pic of my boy... he's about 15 months now and 27 or 28 inches. He's growing fast !
This is a frame grab from video from dinner last night Smile

[Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait 8405215764_1ddf202e79_b
Back to top Go down
Lee Reeve
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Lee Reeve

Male
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait   [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jan - 22:54

He's looking great. C. atrox is without a doubt my favourite species of snake.

Did you upload the video from which the frame shot was taken?
Back to top Go down
Derek Vallejo

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait   [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait Icon_minitimeFri 25 Jan - 6:23

Thanks Lee... no I haven't ever uploaded video. I previously uploaded a still image here with him with live prey & was advised that it's frowned upon, and is actually illegal in some other countries... I've seen live prey videos on youtube, so I guess it's ok to post there...
Back to top Go down
Lee Reeve
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Lee Reeve

Male
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait   [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait Icon_minitimeFri 25 Jan - 9:49

Derek Vallejo wrote:
Thanks Lee... no I haven't ever uploaded video. I previously uploaded a still image here with him with live prey & was advised that it's frowned upon, and is actually illegal in some other countries... I've seen live prey videos on youtube, so I guess it's ok to post there...

Sorry, I didn't notice it was taken from a live feeding video. Yes, I believe it is illegal in some places, although I'm unsure on where. Live feeding is often frowned upon; I personally only resort to live if truely necessary. There are many live feeding videos on youtube, but I'm unsure on the legalities of uploading them - I'm guesing there is no real rule, for or against.

Anyways, good luck with your beautiful catch, and stay safe.

Lee
Back to top Go down
Derek Vallejo

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait   [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait Icon_minitimeFri 1 Aug - 1:28

Hi all, I'm happy to announce we are both still alive. He is available and I put an ad in the sale / swop section if you are in the central texas area and are interested please let me know ASAP.

He's almost 3 years old now, and is right at 4 feet long

[Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait <a href=[Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait 14792610854_bf3eb4710a_bJeffrey_May 29th 2014 by coulromania, on Flickr" />
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait   [Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Crotalus Atrox] - Introductory portrait
Page 1 of 1