VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip

Go down 
+10
Petter Albinson
Christian Moisander
Al Hyde
Guenter Leitenbauer
Peter Zürcher
Mario Lutz
Rob Deans
Frank Weinsheimer
Markus Gottlieb
Derek Morgan
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male
Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-05-13

2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Empty
PostSubject: 2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip   2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 4:02

I recently returned from my trip out to New Mexico/Arizona where I went herping with my brother, York, and a good internet friend, Paul. Thanks to American Airlines and an unexpected stay in DFW on Friday night, our trip was delayed until midday on Saturday. We headed straight out and hit some talus slopes, but it was getting late and it was really chilly, so we saw nothing. We decided to head back to lower elevation and do some road cruising for the night and our luck picked up.

We saw the usual suspects. First up was a Western Diamondback Rattlesnake (Crotalus atrox):
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_9953edit

Then their usual sidekick, the Mojave Rattlesnake (Crotalus scutulatus scutulatus):
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_9946edit

Black-Tail Rattlesnakes (Crotalus molossus molossus) are fairly common here, as well, and we were not disappointed:
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_9963edit

After a satisfying night of road cruising, we camped and prepared for a morning hike the next day. The next day we caught our first ever Arizona Mountain Kingsnake (Lampropeltis pyromelana pyromelana):
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_9997edit

Afterwards, we hit another talus slope in another mountain range and first struck big with Banded Rock Rattlesnakes (Crotalus lepidus klauberi). First, a good-looking juvenile:
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0016

An older animal with some nice banding:
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0039

The last was a favorite with nice pink highlights and some neon green striping on the top:
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0047edit

We then found an Arizona Ridge-Nosed Rattlesnake (Crotalus willardi willardi):
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0080edit

Well, actually, it turned out to be a pair under the same rock:
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0058edit

2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0074edit

Again, satisfied with our results for the day, we camped at another location and prepped for another morning hike. We started our hike the next morning and immediately found another Arizona Mountain Kingsnake (L. p. pyromelana) right in the middle of the trail:
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0837edit

2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0853edit

We continued about 5 miles up the mountain and immediately started seeing food for our target species, Yarrow's spiny lizards (Sceloporus jarrovi):
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0153edit

And then our target species started with a nice neonate. Notice the button and the birth skin still on it. Twin Spot Rattlesnake (Crotalus pricei pricei):
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0109edit

Number two:
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0126edit

Number three:
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0133edit

Number four:
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0168edit

After our hike back, I for one was glad to rest my blistered feet while we did some road cruising! We had a little luck for the next several hours catching some odds and ends, like this Chuckwalla (Sauromalus ater):
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0261edit

And another Black-Tail Rattlesnake (C. m. molossus):
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0560edit

2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0536edit

You can never find too many molossus as far as I am concerned:
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0171edit

And then we hit some more night cruising and found one that York had never seen. Sidewinder (Crotalus cerastes cercobombus):
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0202edit

I only took one or two photos of the sidewinder because it was small and I figured we would see several of them that night, but we never saw another one. Oh well, we just had to settle for my #1 target species of the trip. Gila Monster (Heloderma suspectum suspectum):
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0245edit

I think Paul was almost as excited about the next pair as I was to see the gila monster. We found these 40’ apart on the road like someone had laid them out for us. I still don’t know what the big deal is, Paul, we have rat snakes everywhere here in North Carolina if you want to come catch some. Green Rat Snake (Senticolis triaspis intermedia):
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0666edit

2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0674edit

We started wishing aloud for our next species since we were pretty much already naming what we wanted to catch next. “Tiger!” we all said. Tiger Rattlesnake (Crotalus tigris):
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0702edit

Oh heck, why not be greedy and wish for a pair:
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0710edit

2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0764edit

The trip was coming to an end since my plane left the following day from Albuquerque and we were many hours from my brother’s place. So, the question was should we call it quits and head home to get some decent rest and maybe work on some photos? Or was there maybe one more species we wanted to catch? You only live once! Arizona Black Rattlesnake (Crotalus cerberus):
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0797edit

2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0873edit

2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0885edit

So, the trip was over and I was on my way to miss another connection flight due to bad weather and spend another night in DFW! What can I say, Dallas and American Airlines love me!

Here’s the official catch list (21 lifers on it for me!!):

1 Banded Gecko (Coleonyx variegatus bogerti)
6 Mojave Rattlesnakes (Crotalus scutulatus scutulatus)
7 Western Diamonback Rattlesnakes (Crotalus atrox)
3 Black-Tail Rattlesnakes (Crotalus molossus molossus)
1 New Mexico Ridge-Nosed Rattlesnake (Crotalus willardi obscurus)
2 Arizona Mountain Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis pyromelana pyromelana)
2 Sonoran Whipsnakes (Masticophis bilineatus)
3 Banded Rock Rattlesnakes (Crotalus lepidus klauberi)
2 Arizona Ridge-Nosed Rattlesnakes (Crotalus willardi willardi)
4 Twin Spot Rattlesnakes (Crotalus pricei pricei)
1 Western Patchnose Snake (Salvadora hexalepis deserticola)
1 Sidewinder (Crotalus cerastes cercobombus)
1 Regal Horned Lizard (Phrynosoma solare)
1 Gila Monster (Heloderma suspectum suspectum)
1 Longnose Snake (Rhinocheilus lecontei lecontei)
2 Chuckwalla (Sauromalus ater)
2 Speckled Rattlesnakes (Crotalus mitchelli pyrrhus)
2 Green Rat Snakes (Senticolis triaspis intermedia)
2 Tiger Rattlesnakes (Crotalus tigris)
2 Sonoran Gopher Snake (Pituophis catenifer affinis)
1 Arizona Black Rattlesnake (Crotalus cerberus)
1 Blackneck Garter Snake (Thamnophis cyrtopsis cyrtopsis)
1 Lowland Leopard Frog (Rana yavapaiensis)
1 Sonoran mud turtle (Kinosternon sonoriense)
2 Madrean alligator lizards (Elgaria kingii nobilis)
1 Striped Whipsnake (Masticophis taeniatus taeniatus)
TMTC Yarrow's spiny lizards (Sceloporus jarrovi)
TMTC Colorado River toads (Bufo alvarius)

And some more odds and ends photos just in case your computers haven’t fried yet.
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0213edit

2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0218edit

Landscapes:
2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0180edit

2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_9969edit

2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0572edit

2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0187edit

2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip IMG_0192edit

Many thanks go to my brother for his hospitality and his hard work preparing for this trip, especially all of the scouting for good herping spots that paid off big time. The same goes to my new brother, Paul, who has herped out there for years and without his expertise we would have had to hunt much harder and dumber. Also, thanks to Matt and Chip for their hospitality and their willingness to offer suggestions for places to hunt specific species. It was certainly a group effort that paid off big time!
Back to top Go down
http://www.arborealvipers.com
Markus Gottlieb
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Markus Gottlieb

Male
Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip   2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 6:46

Hi Derek

Nice Herp Trip!
Very cool pictures, awesome trip!

Greetings,
Markus
Back to top Go down
Frank Weinsheimer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Frank Weinsheimer

Male
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-04-20

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip   2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 7:34

Hi Derek,

great trip, great animals and superb pictures. What more do we want? One last: Please post a photo of the Crotalus willardi obscurus if you have one.
Thanks in advance.

Best wishes

Frank
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip   2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 14:18

Amazing trip, and great diversity in Crotalus there. What kind of range are we talking here?
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip   2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 16:33

i am speechless, on time more!

cheers
Mario

and thanks for sharing - i will call you guys and ask permission to join on time on your fieldtrips.
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip   2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 17:30

Fantastic report.
Reminds me on my own trips overthere.
Thanks for sharing.
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip   2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 23:11

Thank you everyone! I would have been happy catching 1/4 of the species that we found, so it was a phenomenal trip.

Frank, I don't want to post those publicly, so check your PM box.

Rob, we started out hunting the mountain ranges in southwestern New Mexico and then headed over into southeastern Arizona hunting adjacent mountain ranges. We found our target montane species so quickly that we migrated west around Tucson and Phoenix and then into the southwestern corner of Arizona chasing species we knew would be tougher to find. Once we found those species, we circled back to southeastern Arizona and started on other species we had no idea we'd have time to hunt for. We're photographers, not collectors, so that's as specific as I care to get with localities.

Mario, no permission needed...the invitation is always there.

Peter, I'd love to see photos from your trips here when you have time to post them.
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip   2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Icon_minitimeSun 31 Aug - 0:47

This is more than impressing to me!
Congratulations,
Guenter
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Al Hyde
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip   2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Icon_minitimeTue 2 Sep - 17:37

Hi Derek,
Wow! Fantastic trip and some great pics there mate, well done.

Don't forget, you and I have a herping trip booked in the future Very Happy!

All the best old chap,
Al
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip   2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Icon_minitimeTue 2 Sep - 22:51

Thanks Al! No, I have not forgotten. I'm going to take you up on that one day, so you'd better quit reminding me if you're not serious! Wink

Thanks Guenter.
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male
Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip   2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Icon_minitimeWed 3 Sep - 6:22

Outstanding photos and a great trip it must've been. A wet dream of a field trip, pretty much... Laughing
So many unbelievable creatures -sigh-
Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Petter Albinson

Male
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip   2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Icon_minitimeWed 3 Sep - 6:38

Fantastic!
I have to go herping in the US sometime.

It seems like a very succesful trip. Many of the species you saw (willardi, suspectum etc.) is quite hard to find, I´ve heard. Luck can´t explain it all, you must have very good eyes...

Petter
Back to top Go down
Al Hyde
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip   2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Icon_minitimeSat 27 Sep - 20:32

Derek Morgan wrote:
Thanks Al! No, I have not forgotten. I'm going to take you up on that one day, so you'd better quit reminding me if you're not serious! Wink

Eeeello Derek me old mate, of course i'm serious Very Happy Got Ghana in the pipelines , also sri lanka , and many places in Europe I still want to herp
Back to top Go down
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male
Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip   2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Icon_minitimeSun 28 Sep - 3:47

Beautiful and impressive trip!
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Harold
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomenal.com
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip   2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Icon_minitimeTue 30 Sep - 3:34

Thanks everyone!

Christian, if you make it back to Arizona let me know. if I can't make it out there, at least my brother can take you out and show you the difficult species. That's what he does every single weekend during herping season. I know you said that was unlikely to happen for you, but.....

Petter, I'm not sure what it was because my brother and a buddy go out herping all the time there and they have never had that kind of luck. Maybe I am a good luck charm? Laughing

Thanks Harold.

Al, it sounds like you have the same problem I do! I now want to go herping everywhere! I have Costa Rica on my radar for next year, I hope. Africa would be my ultimate trip. If I could catch Atheris in the wild I would be in true heaven!
Back to top Go down
Chip Cochran
Chip Cochran

Male
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-02-20

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip   2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Icon_minitimeFri 20 Feb - 10:45

Great pics man. Glad to see your photos from that trip. I bet I know where pricei two and three came from. Nice photos again and it was great herping with you guys.

Chip
Back to top Go down
Jakob H. Christensen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jakob H. Christensen

Male
Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip   2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Icon_minitimeWed 25 Feb - 17:50

Fantastic findings. That must have been a fantastic trip!

That last molossus is stunning. Great pictures, and thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jhcreptiles.com
joshua richards

Male
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip   2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jul - 3:56

Man, this post REALLY makes me miss living in arizona! I used to find many of these species on a regular basis. I am very jealous of the willardi however. I have looked for them on several occasions and have always been skunked! Very good post! thanks for sharing!

-Josh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip   2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2008 Arizona/New Mexico Field Trip
Page 1 of 1