VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros?

Go down 
+2
Denis de Gruchy
Navreet Notey
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Navreet Notey

Male
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-12-17

Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros? Empty
PostSubject: Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros?   Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep - 6:07

Hi, are the West African Gab's Bitis rhinoceros or Bitis gabonica rhinoceros?

I see both written, and just wanted it cleared up. I thought it was Bitis rhinoceros initially until someone told me different..

If it is just Bitis rhinoceros, then it is still considered a Gaboon?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Denis de Gruchy
Denis de Gruchy

Male
Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros?   Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep - 14:10

Hi Navreet

Bitis gabonica,Gaboon viper. and there is a subspecies Bitis gabonica rhinoceros,West African gaboon viper.

B.gabonica has smaller horns where B.g rhinoceros has enlarged horns.

correct me if me wrong .
hope i could help

regards
Denis
Back to top Go down
Dillon Haining
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Dillon Haining

Male
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2012-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros?   Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep - 15:00

I am positive that it is Bitis Rhinoceros, and that is was removed from the Bitis Gabonica subspecies classification due to the differences between both Bitis Gabonica and Bitis Rhinoceros.

I hope this helps,
-Dillon
Back to top Go down
Martti Niskanen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martti Niskanen

Male
Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros?   Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep - 15:49

Denis de Gruchy wrote:

correct me if me wrong .

Why reply if you're not sure?

B. gabonica & B. rhinoceros. No recognised subspecies.
Lenk, P., H.-W. Herrmann, U. Joger, & M. Wink (1999) Phylogeny and taxonomic subdivision of Bitis (Reptilia: Viperidae) based on molecular evidence. Kaupia, 8: 31-38.
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros?   Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep - 16:09

There are more genetic differences between gabonica and rhinoceros than between both of'em and Bitis nasicornis.

here's the paper of Lenk et al.
http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/institute/fak14/ipmb/phazb/pubwink/1999/7.%201999.pdf

this one could be interesting too:
http://www.kingsnake.com/aho/pdf/menu2/lenk2001.pdf
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Denis de Gruchy
Denis de Gruchy

Male
Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros?   Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep - 18:44

Martti Niskanen wrote:
Denis de Gruchy wrote:

correct me if me wrong .

Why reply if you're not sure?

B. gabonica & B. rhinoceros. No recognised subspecies.
Lenk, P., H.-W. Herrmann, U. Joger, & M. Wink (1999) Phylogeny and taxonomic subdivision of Bitis (Reptilia: Viperidae) based on molecular evidence. Kaupia, 8: 31-38.

Hi Martti

Thanks for correcting me. I am here to learn from the best.
Was just trying to help.
Back to top Go down
Navreet Notey

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros?   Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep - 19:02

Thanks for the help guys! Will take a look at the papers Peter has provided.

What is the common name for Bitis rhinoceros then? Is it still just a West African Gaboon Viper?

For some reason many people aren't aware that it is Bitis rhinoceros, a post on a UK forum in the past few days also has it labelled as gabonica rhinoceros - which is why i kept on getting confused.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Martti Niskanen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martti Niskanen

Male
Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros?   Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep - 19:29

Navreet Notey wrote:

What is the common name for Bitis rhinoceros then? Is it still just a West African Gaboon Viper?

Here we come across the problem of common names. Can't call it the rhino viper and it's not really a gaboon. A good example of the importance of using scientific names.
Back to top Go down
Navreet Notey

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros?   Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep - 19:35

Martti Niskanen wrote:
Navreet Notey wrote:

Here we come across the problem of common names. Can't call it the rhino viper and it's not really a gaboon. A good example of the importance of using scientific names.

For sure, i always use scientific names. But when you're talking to an ordinary leyman who knows nothing about snakes, the latin will make no sense.

I have seen people suggest it be called the Rhinoceros viper...but that clashes with nasicornis.
Back to top Go down
Trey Keyes

Male
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros?   Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros? Icon_minitimeSun 27 Apr - 10:54

Confused on the subgenera. Should we refer to them as macrocerastes in place of bitis now?
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros?   Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros? Icon_minitimeSun 27 Apr - 16:05

http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/institute/fak14/ipmb/phazb/pubwink/1999/7.%201999.pdf

If you think the Bitis section should be divided in several subgenera (some people do, some others do not), you should use Macrocerastes for gabonica, rhinoceros, nasicornis and parviocula.
Back to top Go down
Trey Keyes

Male
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros?   Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros? Icon_minitimeTue 29 Apr - 0:01

Thanks Peter. So then, if we are going to refer to east and west African Gaboons as seperate species ( gabonica and rhinoceros) and not as subspecies ( g. gabonica and g. rhinoceros) based on the above publication, then should we not also use the new subgenera also suggested by that very same publication?

I bring this up because I see several people correcting others on the use of ssp. for these two.. If we are going to correct for one thing then we need to correct for both. IMHO
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros?   Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros? Icon_minitimeTue 29 Apr - 2:57

While there is given strong evidence to treat gabonica and rhinoceros as different species, this evidence seems not being that clearly present in the question of dividing Bitis into subgenera or not. If it would be, we probably would have taxonomic papers suggesting different genera, not subgenera for the Bitis section.

I almost never see hobbyists use subgenera, even scientist rarely use them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros?   Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bitis rhinoceros or gabonica rhinoceros?
Page 1 of 1