VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

C insularis- male or female?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kimberly Urban

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-06-05

C insularis- male or female?  Empty
PostSubject: C insularis- male or female?    C insularis- male or female?  Icon_minitimeFri 30 Nov - 0:58

Hi guys. I am fortunate to have a beautiful C. insularis CBB 2011. cheers The sire was owned by Mike Torocco and the dam is Al Coritz's. I got this snake back in July, and have been feeding it f/t mouse fuzzies every 1-2 weeks since. I've never owned an arboreal viper that ate like this one- it's insatiable!! It would eat every day if I let it I think. Al thought it was probably a male, but it's growth has been so rapid that I am wondering. I am nervous to probe it as I do not want to injure it; can I get a good idea of gender from subcaudal scales? The tail is very long and thin, the head is large, and the overall snake has tripled in size since July. It is one of my favorite specimens....I really love the bright yellow. Here are a few pictures of the snake, if that helps anyone guess at sex for me.

C insularis- male or female?  20121114_211145

C insularis- male or female?  20121111_180848

C insularis- male or female?  20121111_174656

The snake shed in one perfect piece this morning. I intend to use the shed to get a subcaudal scale count.
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: C insularis- male or female?    C insularis- male or female?  Icon_minitimeFri 30 Nov - 1:23

Nice snake, but for determinating the sex of it - only the other end is what we need!
Please make pictures from the tail!

Best will be to put it in a box and make a picture, when possible from the bottom side
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male

PostSubject: Re: C insularis- male or female?    C insularis- male or female?  Icon_minitimeFri 30 Nov - 1:56

for the possibility that you can´t ame new pictures, here are some to compare with yours.

Note also, that males are allways a littel bit smaler and slender than females. Here at my room, the females are now 70-80 cm and the three year old male only 40 cm!
Yours look to me as an snake of around 50-60 cm and much like a female.

But compare by your self. Have a special view on the lenght & shape of the tails!

First pic - Tail of a male T. insularis - Wetar

C insularis- male or female?  T_insu12

2nd - tail of an female T. insularis Wetar

C insularis- male or female?  T_insu13

last one, a couple to compare the size

C insularis- male or female?  T_insu15

hope it helps a bit.

Back to top Go down
Kimberly Urban

Female

PostSubject: Re: C insularis- male or female?    C insularis- male or female?  Icon_minitimeFri 30 Nov - 4:32

Peter, I can take new pictures. I did dig through my Photobucket and found this tail shot...female?
C insularis- male or female?  Fc8b1f65

This is the picture given to me by Al when I was choosing the snake:
C insularis- male or female?  6a603fbe

Here is the size when I brought it home...it's hard to believe Parallax (viper's name) ever fit into that cup...would take up every inch now! This was early July 2012.
C insularis- male or female?  5ee4b1e6
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male

PostSubject: Re: C insularis- male or female?    C insularis- male or female?  Icon_minitimeFri 30 Nov - 23:06

Hi Kimberly,
not realy usefull pictures, but better than the first ones.

So, when I have a look on the 2nd picture, I will sugest, that´s a female.
Not for 100%, its only the best what i can say about this now.

I don´t know how are your experiences about Vipers in gerneral, but it´s nearly the same than in most of them. Longer Tails in Males , shorter in females. Males are slender, females bigger.... But, I know it´s hard, when you have only one snake and nothing to compare.

Back to top Go down
Kimberly Urban

Female

PostSubject: Re: C insularis- male or female?    C insularis- male or female?  Icon_minitimeSat 1 Dec - 5:15

I'm going to do a subcaudal scale count today... can you tell me what the count range should be?
Back to top Go down
Albert Gracer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Albert Gracer

Male
Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: C insularis- male or female?    C insularis- male or female?  Icon_minitimeSat 1 Dec - 5:24

Males: 70-75 subcaudal scales;

Females: 54-59 subcaudal scales.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stalgo-exotic.com
Kimberly Urban

Female

PostSubject: Re: C insularis- male or female?    C insularis- male or female?  Icon_minitimeSat 1 Dec - 5:26

I just completed the scale count.

Counting the scales immediately after the cloaca, depending on which I chose as the first, it was 59-61 subcaudal scales. I did not see evidence of hemipenes on the shed, although there is a trace of some tannish deposit near the cloaca
Back to top Go down
Kimberly Urban

Female

PostSubject: Re: C insularis- male or female?    C insularis- male or female?  Icon_minitimeSat 1 Dec - 5:41

I just counted the left side of the caudal scales and got 54 and 57. I guess it's somewhere between 54-60 caudal scales.....that would mean female right?
Back to top Go down
Kimberly Urban

Female

PostSubject: Re: C insularis- male or female?    C insularis- male or female?  Icon_minitimeSat 8 Dec - 3:53

Can anyone tell me how definite a scale count of between 54-61 is for female?
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male

PostSubject: Re: C insularis- male or female?    C insularis- male or female?  Icon_minitimeSun 9 Dec - 1:56

Yes Kimberly, you will have for sure a female!
Back to top Go down
Kimberly Urban

Female

PostSubject: Re: C insularis- male or female?    C insularis- male or female?  Icon_minitimeTue 11 Dec - 1:49

Well that's cool. I prefer a female as she will get larger and breeding loans can be arranged with my friend, who has a number of unrelated males.
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male

PostSubject: Re: C insularis- male or female?    C insularis- male or female?  Icon_minitimeTue 11 Dec - 2:21

Thats nice for you, and yes, they grow up very big. I was suprised that now my females are between 70-90 cm! My male only 40 cm. And very slender.
Back to top Go down
Kimberly Urban

Female

PostSubject: Re: C insularis- male or female?    C insularis- male or female?  Icon_minitimeWed 12 Dec - 4:49

Wow, I can't wait until Parallax gets full grown. She's such a stunning snake. A good friend of mine has an unrelated male that he has offered for a breeding loan when Parallax is old enough. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: C insularis- male or female?    C insularis- male or female?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

C insularis- male or female?
Page 1 of 1