VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sascha Steinhoff

Male
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-10-22

Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous? Empty
PostSubject: Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous?   Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous? Icon_minitimeWed 23 Oct - 6:58

hi guys,

i would like to know if all species of the genus tachymenis and thamnodynastes are venomous. tachymenis peruviana is definitely venomous, same applies to thamnodynastes strigatus. i just wonders if that applies to the rest as well. just need to know if the snakes have a venom gland or not. it does not matter, if they pose a potential threat to humans.

thanks,

sascha
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous?   Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous? Icon_minitimeThu 24 Oct - 19:14

under your circumstances, yes !
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Sascha Steinhoff

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous?   Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous? Icon_minitimeThu 24 Oct - 19:34

hi fabian,
i used your website for research many times, but since it's offline, it's sometimes hard to find out stuff about rear fanged snakes.

it is unfortunately not possible, that a snake has a venom gland under circumstances Smile either it has a venom gland, or it has no venom gland. do you know, if all species of the genus tachymenis and thamnodynastes have a venom gland? that would be a big help for my current project, the snake database.

thanks,
sascha
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous?   Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous? Icon_minitimeThu 24 Oct - 20:47

Quote :
it is unfortunately not possible, that a snake has a venom gland under circumstances
But if you call it venomous or not ...
Pretty much colubrids have evolved glands some not. It is moreover a lack of defintion when we call a snake venomous ...
Back to top Go down
Sascha Steinhoff

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous?   Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous? Icon_minitimeFri 25 Oct - 2:04

the question how to define a "venomous" snakes would definitely deserve an own thread, but that's not what i've been asking for.

so another try: has anybody an idea if all snakes of tachymenis and thamnodynastes

a) have venom glands and
b) have specialized venom fangs (either hollow or carved)

right now i can confirm this only for tachymenis peruviana and thamnodynastes strigatus. if i have wrong information, please point me into the right direction.
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous?   Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous? Icon_minitimeFri 25 Oct - 3:08

A venom gland do not evolve *puff here I am* , or do you think it only evolved at a single species within a genus ..., like I said ... there are pretty much colubrids who have glands , and some who have none like Cornsnakes , Kingsnakes e.g.

Some call it venom gland, some call it Duvernoysche Gland ... it is pretty much a definition ...

Fangs:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rear-fanged/4693030242/

Tachymenis has enlarged, recurved posterior maxillary fangs but although this genus has a lack of informations. The reported fatal bite could be a mistake .... Normally that genus cause mild to moderate effects.
Back to top Go down
Sascha Steinhoff

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous?   Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous? Icon_minitimeFri 25 Oct - 4:07

from your answer i guess, that you want to say that all snakes of the genus tachymenis have both venom glands and venom fangs. is that correct?

does the same apply to thamnodynastes? i know already that there are thamnodynastes species that have both venom glands and venom fangs. but does this apply to the whole genus?

i am sorry for nailing you down, but it's for a database about snakes. a data field in a database can in this case have pretty much three conditions:

1) yes
2) no
3) unknown

everything is set to "unknown" by default. i am happy about any valid information that helps me to replace the "unknown" fields with either "yes" or "no". i cannot post links as a new member, but googling "snake database LD50" will lead you directly to the website.
Back to top Go down
Sascha Steinhoff

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous?   Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous? Icon_minitimeSun 3 Nov - 2:24

hi guys,

now i can - hopefully - post links to show you today what it's all about:

http://snakedatabase.org/pages/venom-taxonomy.php

this is a taxonomy overview of snake species, color coding shows the difference between the venomous and the non-venomous snakes. every snake that has a venom gland is classified as venomous. this visualizes some basic informationen, that you usually have to dig out with some effort from various resources. now it's accessible for everybody.

it was and is still a big problem for me to get valid data to feed the database. the questions i asked e.g. in my very first post still remain unanswered. if anybody can give me clear feedback about this or other species that are not properly classified yet, i would be happy. until further notice i will only categorize this two species tachymenis peruviana and thamnodynastes strigatus as venomous.
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous?   Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous? Icon_minitimeSun 3 Nov - 3:46

It is not that clear answer ... anyway , but for you : Colorize the species you asked for

Quote :
every snake that has a venom gland is classified as venomous.
And that is what I said ... but again ... a lot of colubrids have glands , some not like ratsnakes e.g.

for your database it means you can colorize almost all and leave a bit black Smile

And you missed some important species
Ahaetulla
Chrysopelea

for example

If I have more time I will have a closer look

If you read " Venomous Bites from Non-Venomous Snakes A Critical Analysis of Risk and Management of “Colubrid” Snake Bites " there are still questionsmarks behind many well known species...
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous?   Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous? Icon_minitimeSun 3 Nov - 4:08

And if you claim a species venomous you should say that it may not harm people ... if authorities read that it may lead to trouble for people ...

Back to top Go down
Sascha Steinhoff

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous?   Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous? Icon_minitimeSun 3 Nov - 22:36

hi fabian,

thanks for the input! i double checked your info regarding Ahaetulla and Chrysopelea and now changed the according ata records of all species of these genus'.

the Tachymenis and Thamnodynastes species discussed have updated their data records long time ago. the question how to deal with the whole genus remains open. the advice given here leaves some room for misinterpretation.

regarding authorities and the labeling as venomous:
we collect facts about snakes in this database. a snake that has a working venom gland is venomous. that's a fact and everything else is well-intentioned propaganda :)some don't like this classification and then we have the absurd situation that people are bitten by so called non-venomous snakes that can in fact lead to serious envenomination.

the title of the book mentioned reflects this absurd situation quite well. i tried to get it in some libraries, but so far i had no success. i am happy about more feedback, if possible.
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous?   Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous? Icon_minitimeSun 3 Nov - 23:59

Quote :
a snake that has a working venom gland is venomous. that's a fact and everything else is well-intentioned propaganda
You can claim all snakes venomous which have a gland, thats true ... but where is the benefit ?
I asked myself 1000 times that question but it is more essential if a snake is capable to trigger an envenomation ... and even in that point papers are not that clear.
Although the different fangs anatomy is an important point ...

Dont forget pythons to be venomous
Back to top Go down
Sascha Steinhoff

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous?   Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous? Icon_minitimeMon 4 Nov - 3:13

didn't know that pythons have venom glands! is it another discovery by brian fry? would be happy to get more information what species or probably genus are affected. right now the whole superfamily Pythonoidea is deep blue. wouldn't mind to make some red or pink if there is reliable data available.

i am working on the fang-section. this is the next thing upcoming.
Back to top Go down
Sascha Steinhoff

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous?   Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous? Icon_minitimeMon 4 Nov - 3:47

just found that all species of these genus' all have venom glands as well:

- Clelia
- Boiruna
- Ithycyphus
- Mimophis
- Balanophis

it's already in the database.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous?   Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tachymenis & Thamnodynastes spp. -> all venomous?
Page 1 of 1