VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Atheris ceratophora; seeking climatic data of micro- and macro-habitats

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Timothy Gould

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-03-30

Atheris ceratophora; seeking climatic data of micro- and macro-habitats Empty
PostSubject: Atheris ceratophora; seeking climatic data of micro- and macro-habitats   Atheris ceratophora; seeking climatic data of micro- and macro-habitats Icon_minitimeSun 21 Jun - 22:23

Hello,

As this is my first post on Venom Land, let me provide a quick, one-paragraph introduction.  I have kept serpents for 23.5 years (since 21 November 1991) and venomous for 14+ years (since 5 January 2001).  I have a library greater than I count including college-level texts for biochemists/toxinologists, such as Handbook of Venoms and Toxins of Reptiles by Stephen P. Mackessy; also more significant, in-depth and beneficial (-for successful captive-keeping) books specializing in a specific subfamily and even specific species, such as True Vipers: Natural History and Toxinology of Old World Vipers by David Mallow/David Ludwig/Göran Nilson.

Now; very soon, I should be receiving 1.1 WC Atheris ceratophora from a good friend who is importing them.  As these will be my first Atheris sp. (I was supposed to have 1.1 CBB'14 A. squamigera from another good friend, but his females had poor deliveries1), I pulled out True Vipers in hopes of finding more detailed climatic data than it availed me.  It is a great book overall, but definitely lacks in the climatic data department (as opposed to, say, Snakes of Thailand and Their Husbandry by Merel J. Cox who gathered explicit data from: The Ministry of Communications - The Meteorology Department - Meteorological Statistics Section [prime source]).

From what I gather in searching on Google all morning, temperatures are pretty mild2 - even this time of year - with Atheris ceratophora preferring a "damper and cooler"3 environment compared to other Atheris spp.  Please reference footnoted sources for validation, and if You are able to confirm this information.

Basically; I am seeking temperature and relative humidity graphs which I have always succeeded in researching for other species I keep or have kept, for I believe in simulating Nature and micro-habitats as much as possible.  Photo-period is all set thanks to the site: http://www.timeanddate.com/.

I appreciate, and thank You in advance, for any and all information!  Hope I didn't write too much...this is severely truncated for my style.

Sincerely,
Timothy

1One female had all slugs, and the other had all slugs save one viable neonate, which shortly thereafter died.
2Source: http://www.zoover.com/tanzania-and-zanzibar/tanzania/usambara-mountains/weather
3Source: http://www.arborealvipers.com/ceratophora.html
Back to top Go down
Timothy Gould

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-03-30

Atheris ceratophora; seeking climatic data of micro- and macro-habitats Empty
PostSubject: P.S.   Atheris ceratophora; seeking climatic data of micro- and macro-habitats Icon_minitimeSun 21 Jun - 23:21

P.S. I had also found a source for rainfall which appears to be greatest in April/May: http://www.samsamwater.com/climate/climatedata.php?lat=-4.7962&lng=38.2934&alt=1600&loc=Usambara+Mountains%2C+Lushoto%2C+Tanzania, so I know relative humidity will be greatest in these months.

I should also specify it is the Sun Calculator that details photoperiod: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunrise.html since I've had a few others experience difficulty in finding what I was talking about.  Very beneficial. Smile

Timothy
Back to top Go down

Atheris ceratophora; seeking climatic data of micro- and macro-habitats
Page 1 of 1