VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Bitis caudalis variety

Go down 
+2
Andrew Hacket
Rob Deans
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Bitis caudalis variety Empty
PostSubject: Bitis caudalis variety   Bitis caudalis variety Icon_minitimeWed 17 Dec - 20:33

Id love to see what caudalis are being kept, I will start with one that I have seen in Namibia.
I just love the red with feint marking. This is a male and sadly approximately 2kms earlier I found a fresh DOR female.

I also found 2 DOR of a similar caudalis but it was grey with also feint markings. So exactly the same as this one but with no red.

Bitis caudalis variety Dsc03810
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis caudalis variety   Bitis caudalis variety Icon_minitimeWed 17 Dec - 20:39

I found 2 very big caudalis females crossing the road right by this outcrop
Bitis caudalis variety Dsc03711

Here are a few more habitat pics.
Bitis caudalis variety Dsc03513
Bitis caudalis variety Dsc03514

Driving to Ai-Ais - xeropaga?
Bitis caudalis variety Dsc03712
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male
Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Bitis caudalis variety   Bitis caudalis variety Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec - 15:21

Great stuff Rob , are you sure thats a caudalis ? To me that looks like Bitis deani , the last hab shot is intimidating...
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis caudalis variety   Bitis caudalis variety Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec - 15:32

Yeah its a beautiful snake, I wish I could have brought it home. Its funny, every road we drove had a different colour variety of caudalis. Seem to be according to habitat.

We walked around for xeropaga at Ai Ais but we were there too late. I think very early in the morning is the right time. That wouldve been excellent.
Back to top Go down
Marco Buegel
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Bitis caudalis variety   Bitis caudalis variety Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec - 16:05

Awesome caudalis Rob, namibia has the most spectacular ones I have seen - in my eyes much more interesting then the SA ones. And usually much easier to get to feed on mice...:-) Do you have more pics of localities and speciemens you have found there ?

As a huge fan I would love to see what ever you can show :-)

Regards from Switzerland
Back to top Go down
Frank Weinsheimer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Frank Weinsheimer

Male
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Bitis caudalis variety   Bitis caudalis variety Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec - 16:46

Hi Andrew,

do you have the reference to the description of "Bitis deani"? Is at recently descriped valid taxon?

Best regards

Frank
Back to top Go down
Marco Buegel
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Bitis caudalis variety   Bitis caudalis variety Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec - 17:21

@ Frank :-)

Rob Dean......Bitis ''deani''....take your time and think about it ;-) lol
Of course Bitis deani is not existing, don't panic you did not miss anything taxonomical.

Best whishes from SWitzerland

Marco
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis caudalis variety   Bitis caudalis variety Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec - 18:14

Haha you can trust Andrew to confuse everyone. Sorry Frank but Marco is correct. But watch this space, I am aware of at least 1 new dwarf bitis which will be described in the nearish future. Also some revision of existing species, namely the different forms of Bitis rubida. The B atropos group is also being revised and there may be 5 different species in there soon.
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis caudalis variety   Bitis caudalis variety Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec - 18:26

Marco - I will post more pics as soon as I get a chance. I agree with everything you said, Namib caudalis are much more interesting and do very well. I think people should be breeding locality specific animals too. There are some incredible varieties from Etosha, Spitzkoppe and others. Enough to work exclusively with.
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male
Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Bitis caudalis variety   Bitis caudalis variety Icon_minitimeTue 24 Feb - 3:18

Nice female from Namaqualand...

Bitis caudalis variety IMG_4376
Bitis caudalis variety IMG_4375
Bitis caudalis variety IMG_4367
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis caudalis variety   Bitis caudalis variety Icon_minitimeThu 2 Apr - 17:28

Aspidelaps caudalis? Wink

Bitis caudalis variety Caudal12

Bitis caudalis variety Caudal13

Here are the tracks that this snake leaves behind. I have never seen it before. She sways her tail across the sand behind her wherever she goes. It is like she is sweeping away her tracks haha. The first time I saw it I thought she had given birth and these were tracks from the babies but I was dissapointed.
Anyone seen it before?
This snake measures 46cm.
Bitis caudalis variety Tracks10

Here is a beautiful male I have. I really enjoy the Namib caudalis, far more than the SA specimens.
Bitis caudalis variety Caudal14
Back to top Go down
Nicolas Cartier
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Bitis caudalis variety   Bitis caudalis variety Icon_minitimeThu 2 Apr - 18:55

For my part I is never observed this it is really curious.
Beautiful specimen but I prefer namaqualand.
Back to top Go down
Neil Villard
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Neil Villard

Male
Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Bitis caudalis variety   Bitis caudalis variety Icon_minitimeThu 2 Apr - 23:00

You can say me, what is the size of your adults caudalis male? (if you have the weight this is the better:-) )
thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.vuivra.ch
Nicolas Cartier
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis caudalis variety   Bitis caudalis variety Icon_minitimeFri 3 Apr - 0:37

They make +-35cm.
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis caudalis variety   Bitis caudalis variety Icon_minitimeFri 3 Apr - 1:32

My male is still small, only around 25cm. Will breed but Im afraid she will eat him. Smile
Back to top Go down
Nicolas Cartier
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis caudalis variety   Bitis caudalis variety Icon_minitimeFri 3 Apr - 2:05

I see that many persons are afraid that he(it) is of the canibalisme to these bitis.

Esce more frequent than to of the other one sorts of snakes?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bitis caudalis variety   Bitis caudalis variety Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bitis caudalis variety
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: Viperidae :: Bitis-
Jump to: