VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

B.caudalis

Go down 
+4
Markus Gottlieb
Andrew Hacket
Marco Buegel
Peter Pastor
8 posters
AuthorMessage

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeFri 19 Dec - 1:57

i'm new to keeping dwarf bitis sp,i bought my first one at the hamm expo last weekend,i was curious
of any of you has an idea on location of this one

B.caudalis Caudalisman
B.caudalis Caudaliseten
B.caudalis CaudalisetenI

are not the best pictures sorry

greetz
dave
Back to top Go down
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-03-08

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeFri 19 Dec - 2:16

Hi Dave,

your male is Namaqualand locality... It`s good it`s feeding on mice by self. That`s good sign, hope he will do well for you, as caudalises from this locality are sometimes causing a lot of problems...

Cheers,
Peter
Back to top Go down
Marco Buegel
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-03-07

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeFri 19 Dec - 2:17

Looks like a Namaqualand speciemen, they are very very nice but do not very well in captivety usually. That's why they are often offerd for ''fair'' prices of about 200-250 Euro per animals. So they go fast, but unfortunately most will be dead within the first 3-4 months or so.

That's it so far from my experiences with this locality.....especially the males also often do not accept mice as food.

A note: The substrate you are using in the last 2 pics is definitely NOT GOOD for B.caudalis.
Try a fine sand with a high calcium amount, or something like gravel - that's much better and is also more realistic.

Regards
Marco
Back to top Go down

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeFri 19 Dec - 2:34

thanx both for replies,the sand is drying i had no dry sand so i hope to switch him this weekend.
mine is eating mouse pinky's very well.i hope he does good,Marco have you any idea why this locality
is problematic?i mean is it related to parasite or climat condition's,....?

greetz
dave
Back to top Go down
Marco Buegel
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-03-07

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeFri 19 Dec - 2:42

Hi Dave

That's great with the sand, very good ! ;-)
It's the most important thing that you can get them to eat, in your case this oviously works - so thaht's the good news.

Try to inject about 0.5-1.0ml of water in every pre-killed pinky you offer - this helps and works very well to support the regulation of humidity. They often do not drink enough from alone...

Namaqualand is a very very nice and big area with lots of microhabitats and also lot's of different colormorphs of caudalis - so are greyish, reddish, organge etc etc...
Som places have a higher humidity levels then others, the prey items are often different....only in a few areas the are used to also accept mice - usually they only eat specific local lizards and geckos.

And check the animals for tongue-worms ( don' know the exact english term for them), but Namaqualand caudalis usually have them. In nature that's not a big deal, but under the conditions in captivity they can be deadly for the animal !! Check that with you local Vet...

Cheers
Marco
Back to top Go down

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeFri 19 Dec - 2:54

many thanks for the good info Marco

greetz
dave
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male
Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2008-04-27

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeSat 3 Jan - 0:33

Hi Dave , I am also got specimens of this caudalis today , but as expected they is not eating the mice , I will be force feeding this specimens with water and panacur injected into the pink and hope they respond well to the food and treatment.
I include pictures of the specimens and their landscape so if you like you can be making your cages to look like their home in the wild.
You will need about 1 million rocks.

Cheers
Andrew

Male01
B.caudalis IMG_3902
B.caudalis IMG_3900
Male02 (different pattern)
B.caudalis IMG_3912
B.caudalis IMG_3910
B.caudalis IMG_3907
Landscape
B.caudalis IMG_3293
B.caudalis IMG_3205
B.caudalis IMG_3236
B.caudalis IMG_3231

Last edited by Andrew Hacket on Wed 7 Jan - 5:30; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jan - 3:43

hi Andrew,

your setup looks very well,very nice caudalis as well,mine has eaten its second pinky last weekend,
so luckely he feeds good

greetz
Back to top Go down
Markus Gottlieb
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Markus Gottlieb

Male
Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-08-11

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jan - 5:31

Hi to everybody,

Ahh, I love those bitis, stunners!

@Dave: Good that it's feeding so well, is this one CB? Can you tell me who sold it to you?

Best regards,
Markus
Back to top Go down

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeThu 8 Jan - 4:33

its wildcaught not cb

greetz
dave
Back to top Go down
Nicolas Cartier
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-01-08

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeThu 8 Jan - 21:01

Hello, by seeking some information on the biotope of the bitis caudalis (namaqualand) I often find photograph of namaqualand with a large variety of flowers and not like the photographs that Andrew Hacket with put on the post.
Therefore I asked whether in this area it there would not have more rains and of humidity that it be thought.

Think that this locality would not need a wet hiding-place?

So not why?
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-04-24

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeSat 10 Jan - 22:21

Namaqualand is very dry, the flowers are only in bloom for a short period of time but this is why Namaqualand is famous.

The caudalis from here like to be dry.
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeMon 12 Jan - 0:14

I put my hygrometer in my caudalis cages this week and its been ranging from 40 - 60 % where as the room is around 80% , quite a difference.
I also think maybe humidity does not kill these animals , as I have snakes like chionactus that live in desert and don't even drink water, ever! and they do fine in high humidity.
It must be something else that makes them do not so good ? Like parasites like marco mentions , or they may not have the mental capacity to survive captivity.
Back to top Go down
Nicolas Cartier
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeMon 12 Jan - 2:13

me also I bought a caudalis namaqualand 1.0 with hamm last (14/12) it feeds very well from small mouse of which I injected 1ml water and I to him am made a small wet hiding-place which dries in the course of the day.

I to him am put a wet hiding-place because the morning in a wild state it must have a spade of humidity.

Even in drier area of Africa (the Sahara….) it there with moisture the morning.

Think that can be bad for it?
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeWed 14 Jan - 22:45

I am not using any hides for B.caudalis , they have branch a rock and some dead leaves for dynamics and seem to sleep always in a different spot each night. If you want to be using a damp hide box make sure there is also a dry hide box so he can choose which is better for himself.
Back to top Go down
Nicolas Cartier
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan - 4:07

thank you for your answers, I hold you with courrant if I have problems with this method of maintenance.
Soon I would post photograph of my caudalis.
thank you.
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeMon 23 Feb - 1:33

*UPDATE* , I have de-wormed all specimens with 2 doses, 1 week apart using panacur so far so good , all are still alive . After 5 force feedings one specimen is eating pinks on its own.

Excelente'

Andrew
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeMon 23 Feb - 10:01

Excellent Andrew,

please keep us posted.

cheers
M.
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Stephan Niemann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-02-01

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeMon 29 Mar - 19:01

very nice species i am getting to like the bitis species more and more
gorgous pics andrew
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeMon 29 Mar - 19:54

Hi Andrew, Hi Dave,

do you guys have any update for us on the snakes?
would be good to see if all went well...

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 17:37

They are a extravagant species. Very intracate designs and the colors are wonderful. All animals pictured are magnificent examples.
Back to top Go down

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitimeTue 6 Apr - 19:30

hi Mario,

i sold it about 8 monthso ago to a friend who has a female,this one did very good for a male
eating every 2-3 weeks pinky's. my friend male died so i sold him this one, last thing i heard he was
still doing great. dwarf bitis is not realy my thing i gues ,like to stick with the gabonica/nasicornis for now

greetz
dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

B.caudalis Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.caudalis   B.caudalis Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

B.caudalis
Page 1 of 1