VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Some questions , haw keep snakes?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Artem Muradkhanyan

Male
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Some questions , haw keep snakes? Empty
PostSubject: Some questions , haw keep snakes?   Some questions , haw keep snakes? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Jun - 14:38

Hi all,

I want to keep some Armenian species in home , so I need some helps..
I have read some recourses about Armenian viper species. In our country there are
1)Macrovipera Lebetina Obtusa,
2)Vipera Raddei Raddei,
3)Vipera Darevski,
4)Vipera erevanensis,
5)Vipera amonatydis transcaucasicana (??)

For first I want to keep vipera erevanensis, this gays are small (max 62cm) and easy to find.
I saw erevanensis it was about 30cm. I guess 30 cm snake can't eat any mouses or wizards, so the first question is. ..
1)Are snakes feed by insects ?
2)Are there some tricks to catch snakes in stony land?
3)Can snake bit my hand if it's hanging from tail?

thanks in Advance
Artem.
(sorry for English) Smile
Back to top Go down
Markus Gottlieb
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Markus Gottlieb

Male
Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Some questions , haw keep snakes?   Some questions , haw keep snakes? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Jun - 15:51

Hi Artem

What I am reading here, I think your are totally new to snakes right!?

If I were you, I would read at first some generel books about Snakekeeping, about the enclosoures, the food, parasites and illness.

And you should learn to handle snakes, with a snakehook, pinning them, tubing and so on, but it would be better to learn this with non venomous species.

And by the way I don't think it's allowed in your country to catch wild snakes.

Greetings
Back to top Go down
Artem Muradkhanyan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Some questions , haw keep snakes?   Some questions , haw keep snakes? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Jun - 16:36

yes , you are right , I just want to start..
my 3)question is only for my curiosity, I know that it's very dangerous..
Also I think there is no any forbidden to catch and keep erevanensis and macrovipera, the athers are very rare and kept by low.
but I am first time heard about illness and parasites pale
Please answer to second question.
Is it expensive to keep snake?

Thanks,
Artem
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Some questions , haw keep snakes?   Some questions , haw keep snakes? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Jun - 21:14

Hello Artem,
Markus is absolutely right, first you should gather experience in any way with non-venemous snakes and - perhaps, if you still want to - shift to venemous ones.
It is surely better to know how snakes react and how you can handle them safely (for the snake and for yourself) before you start to keep or catch venemous ones.
There are a number of beautiful species of snakes in Armenia that can easily be kept in a terrarium.
Even V. erewanensis, though usually not really dangerous for humans - can kill you if you, for example, get an allergy to parts of the venom of V. erewanensis after a bite. I would definitely not start with M. lebet. obtusa but I think you know how much they are feared in Armenia.

And read books about husbandry of snakes or look in the internet, if you cannot get good books on this subject in Armenia.

The costs of keeping snakes depend upon many things. If you can get the material for a terrarium cheaply and are able to build it yourself, this would not be expensive. If you catch the snake(s) yourself it would only cost the trip to the place where you can catch it. The more expensive parts are possibly the electricity to create the right climate for the animals and maybe the food. If you need mice for food, you can catch them (not a good source and you have the risk of bringing parasites to your snakes) or breed them. If you breed them, you first need a good breeding-stock and suitable food for the mice which may cause costs too. With these information you may think about the expenses you may have for keeping snakes.

Cheers,
Rainer
Back to top Go down
Artem Muradkhanyan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Some questions , haw keep snakes?   Some questions , haw keep snakes? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Jun - 21:59

Hello All

Thanks Rainer for advices!
I think I can make terrarium, also I think it would be not so hard to get a food. As far as I know they need to eat approximately once a month. Is it right?
I am really confused about climate, for example, erewanensis in wild life leave in quiet high ranges(about 2000-2500m). Would I make such cold climate in terrarium in winter time?
Also I am worried about their illnesses. If there are some specific things to make safer, I think I couldn't find them in Armenia to buy.

thanks & Regards
Artem
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Some questions , haw keep snakes?   Some questions , haw keep snakes? Icon_minitimeThu 25 Jun - 3:19

Hello Artem,

feeding snakes once a month will not be enough for most species. Some need food much more often, some, especially those that take big food-items in relation to their size, may get enough if you feed them monthly.
Don´t start with V. erewanensis or other snakes that live in high mountain areas. They are much harder to keep than snakes that live in moderate climate. At daytime you would have to offer them a really warm place with much light and a cooler place to retreat and the nights must be cool. I have friends who keep this species and they did not succeed in keeping them alive over a longer period until they cooled the room by air condition overnight. And these snakes need a cold (just a bit over 0°) hibernation for several months. But all species of snakes from Armenia need a cool to cold hibernation, how long and how cold would only depend on the species and where it comes from.

Don´t worry too much about diseases and treatment, the most important thing is to get healthy animals and keep them healthy and you will probably not need any medical treatment for them. The best way to get healthy snakes is to take captive- bred ones but I think that will not be easy in Armenia.
If you take snakes from nature they usually carry parasites in them. In nature they usually have no big problems with them but in captivity, if conditions are not optimal, that can be a big problem.

Best regards,
Rainer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some questions , haw keep snakes?   Some questions , haw keep snakes? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some questions , haw keep snakes?
Page 1 of 1