VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Male Malaysian King Cobra

Go down 
+4
René Meierkord
Jaroslav Karhánek
NiekHofman
Tom Charlton
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom Charlton
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Male Malaysian King Cobra Empty
PostSubject: Male Malaysian King Cobra   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitimeSun 3 Jan - 2:13

On tuesday 8th December 09 I picked up a fresh wild-caught Malaysian King Cobra, which had very recently arrived in the country on a shipment from Kuala Lumpur, Peninsular Malaysia. Upon getting it back to mine, it was given a warm soak for around an hour. On the advice of another King Cobra keeper, the snake was treated with frontline straight away and given its first dosage of Metronidazole (Flagyl). The treatment of Metronidazole will continue every 2 weeks for another 4 treatments before a stool sample is taken to the vets. The snake weighed 1.73kg on the day of arrival.
On saturday 12th Dec, i offered it a 2ft defrosted royal python that had been frozen for several months. The snake was cut in half to allow the blood scent to be more prominent. The King Cobra took this over night.
2 days later, i offered the snake a bit more of a substantial meal, it was given 2 large segments of a defrosted corn snake. These were placed in the vivarium over night and were gone by the morning.
On the 18th Dec i offered the snake a washed medium rat with a 1.5 inch section of cornsnake pushed and sewed onto the nose of the rat. The insides of the corn which were pushed out, was then rubbed onto the rats body to improve the scent. Once again, by the morning, this had been eaten. This method was used successfully again on the 24th Dec.

And i thought this may be of interest, a couple of photos of preparing the rat:

Male Malaysian King Cobra IMG_0347

Male Malaysian King Cobra IMG_0351

On the 29th, after the king had passed through its most recent meal, it was weighed and had gone from 1.73 kg to 2.065 kg, an increase of 373 grams. Not a vast amount but it was a good sign that the king was settling down and the wormer was doing its job. That night i offered it a washed rat that had been scented with snakes blood, but did not attach a peice of cornsnake. This was offered in the evening and was gone by the morning. The following day, after feeding the rest of snakes, one of the kaouthia refused, so instead of chucking the rat away, i washed it and placed it in with the king, with no scenting. By the morning, it had been eaten! So hes gone from fresh WC to rodent feeding in just over three weeks, a great end to the year. I feel that i have been very lucky with this guy Smile

Here are a few photos:

Male Malaysian King Cobra 16946_382305510065_740380065_10269423_4004486_n

Male Malaysian King Cobra IMG_0321

Male Malaysian King Cobra 17446_367091875065_740380065_10129062_7869055_n

Cheers, Tom

Last edited by Tom Charlton on Sun 3 Jan - 22:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomlogic.com
NiekHofman
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
NiekHofman

Male
Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Male Malaysian King Cobra   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitimeSun 3 Jan - 2:33

great looking king you have there.. Also cool to see how you get it to feed some rodents..
Where do you get your feeder snakes from?

cheers niek
Back to top Go down
Jaroslav Karhánek
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jaroslav Karhánek

Male
Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2009-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Male Malaysian King Cobra   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitimeSun 3 Jan - 2:44

Very nice looking king and that style of feeding is really cool, good idea. Good luck with him
Back to top Go down
http://www.bushmaster.estranky.cz/
René Meierkord
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2009-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Male Malaysian King Cobra   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitimeSun 3 Jan - 3:08

Nice King!

But i like the indian Kings a lot more...

I know this style to feed Kings, but i do know that i works so fast on WC´s

Great Job!
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Male Malaysian King Cobra   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitimeSun 3 Jan - 3:13

Good job Tom.

I don't know if you read my posts somewhere, but sewing the piece of snake to the rats face has worked great for me in the past. The only difference was I used pieces of Gopher Snake. Not that it really matters as long as the King is eating snakes.

Randy
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomstreet.com
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Male Malaysian King Cobra   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitimeSun 3 Jan - 15:22

My CB'09 Malaysian King has been eating Corn snakes stuffed with pinkies, but I've run out of live baby Corns, so I've been stuffing frozen thawed baby snakes. A few weeks ago, I sewed the head and neck of a thawed Corn snake to a hopper mouse, but he would not eat it, so I kept stuffing the snakes with pinks.

Today I sewed a frozen thawed Corn snake to a mouse, and the baby King ate it right away. If he goes like the adult Kings I have converted in this way in the past, he should be on frozen thawed rodents in no time.

Male Malaysian King Cobra 100_4822
Back to top Go down
Tom Charlton
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Male Malaysian King Cobra   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitimeSun 3 Jan - 18:53

Thank you everyone.

Niek, i got the dead snakes from the freezers at local reptile shops, luckily i did not have to buy any live feeder snakes.

Randy, yes ive seen your post about sewing snake peices to rats, it seems that this method is being used successfully by quite a few King Cobra keepers. Have you ever had success with breeding your kings?

Cheers, Tom
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomlogic.com

PostSubject: Re: Male Malaysian King Cobra   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitimeSun 3 Jan - 22:54

A wonderful educational thread, thank you guys for all the info.

Does anyone breed kings in Europe? Are cbb babies ever available?

Thanks
Yasin
Back to top Go down
René Meierkord
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2009-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Male Malaysian King Cobra   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitimeSun 3 Jan - 23:08

Hey Yasin!

I know a guy in germany who owns a pair a lot of time - i think, he bred the last years but i had no contact to him a longer time...
Then there was a guy in northern europe (think sweden or finland) who sold babies at hamm for a few years.

Regards,
Rene
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Male Malaysian King Cobra   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitimeSun 3 Jan - 23:11

Thanks for the info mate.

Contact info would be great, especially the guy in Germany!

m.yasincakmak@gmail.com
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Male Malaysian King Cobra   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitimeSun 3 Jan - 23:18

I have never bred Kings before. I was going to try and breed my Malaysians, but she was VERY thin when I got her last March. The hatchling I have is supposed to be from eggs she laid. I'm assuming she bred in the wild, and laid the eggs right after being caught, but I'm not sure. She was too thin to have been living in captivity when she bred, but you never know. I believe she laid eggs in Dec. 08 or Jan. 09, as I got her and the hatchling from my friend at the Columbia, SC. show on March 28, 2009. He had just imported them right before the show. So she must have bred in Sept or Oct. 2008. She was not up to normal size last Sept/Oct, so I decided to wait.

The same buddy has a male Indonesian King and he was going to give her to me to breed to my female, but he forgeot to bring her to me. If he still has him, I will get him later this month, and I'll try to breed Indos and Malays next fall.

Randy
Back to top Go down
TOM_CRUTCHFIELD
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
TOM_CRUTCHFIELD

Male
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-12-06

PostSubject: VERY NICE KING COBRA   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jan - 4:16

Here's a pic of "Albert", my big user friendly King....I feed mine Burmese Pythons f\t that we catch wild here in S. Florida....LOL...Your snake is very beautiful with a nice confirmation....

Male Malaysian King Cobra King_c10
Back to top Go down
http://www.tomcrutchfield.com
NiekHofman
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
NiekHofman

Male
Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Male Malaysian King Cobra   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jan - 4:38

TOM_CRUTCHFIELD wrote:
Here's a pic of "Albert", my big user friendly King....I feed mine Burmese Pythons f\t that we catch wild here in S. Florida....LOL...Your snake is very beautiful with a nice confirmation....

Male Malaysian King Cobra King_c10

nice one Tom,

and your feeders are one way of dealing with the problems you have there with those burms in the wild..Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Male Malaysian King Cobra   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jan - 4:41

Frozen burmsicles are the treat in Florida these days, aren't they Tom? Smile
Back to top Go down
Jaroslav Karhánek
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jaroslav Karhánek

Male
Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2009-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Male Malaysian King Cobra   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jan - 3:33

it is wonderfull picture Tom, your Albert looks huge, how big is he?
Back to top Go down
http://www.bushmaster.estranky.cz/

PostSubject: Re: Male Malaysian King Cobra   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jan - 5:39

Wonderful example my man! I am hopeing to pick up a banded king this spring. Best of luck especially on your breeding project.

Last edited by Timothy Sieber on Wed 24 Mar - 13:20; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Male Malaysian King Cobra   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jan - 5:40

P.S.- I like the burmese idea. They have to have some use besides eating.
Back to top Go down
Sascha Beckhoff
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Sascha Beckhoff

Male
Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Male Malaysian King Cobra   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jan - 22:13

a really nice king.
Back to top Go down
Richard Blok
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Richard Blok

Male
Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Male Malaysian King Cobra   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitimeTue 11 May - 20:59

Indead a really nice king
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Male Malaysian King Cobra   Male Malaysian King Cobra Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Male Malaysian King Cobra
Page 1 of 1