VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Pseudonaja textilis photo

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Pseudonaja textilis photo Empty
PostSubject: Pseudonaja textilis photo   Pseudonaja textilis photo Icon_minitimeSun 13 Apr - 5:37

Here is a pic of a Common Brown I had up until a couple years ago. He and my female both died at nearly the same time, a couple months after moving from North Carolina to Florida. They were the very first specie of snake I ever bred and hatched out, but I could not get the babies to eat. They were smaller than any Corn Snake hatchling I've ever seen. I'm supposed to be getting some CB babies soon. I breed African Pygmy Mice now, so I have pinkies that even the smallest of hatchlings can eat.

I took this pic with a very cheap point and shoot digital camera from about 12" away, through the glass of the cage of course.

Pseudonaja textilis photo EBrownM
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomstreet.com
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonaja textilis photo   Pseudonaja textilis photo Icon_minitimeSun 13 Apr - 12:12

one of my australian elapid favorites!

The eastern brown snake is the species responsible for most deaths caused by snakebite in Australia, although, with the advent of efficient first-aid treatment and antivenom, there are now usually only one or two deaths per year. A large adult brown snake is a formidable creature. They may exceed two metres in length and, on hot days, can move at surprising speed. It has a slender body and is variable in colour ranging from uniform tan to grey or dark brown. The belly is cream, yellow or pale orange with darker orange spots.

Did You Know? Although brown snakes are temperamental and dangerous creatures, they will always try and avoid a confrontation with humans if possible. There is certainly no advantage for the snake in attacking something as large as a person so they will only do this as a last resort. Given the opportunity, even brown snakes will flee rather than attack.

Habitat: The eastern brown snake inhabits most of eastern Australia from the desert to the coast. It inhabits a wide range of habitats but is particularly prevalent in open grasslands, pastures and woodland.

Diet: This species feeds mostly on small mammals, particularly rodents. It has rapidly developed a preference for introduced rats and mice and, for this reason, is often found around farm buildings. Such habits regularly bring the species in contact with humans and its bad temper and toxic venom may lead to potentially dangerous conflicts. Despite its reputation, it still performs a very useful function for farmers by controlling the numbers of introduced rodent pests.

Reproduction: In spring, male brown snakes may be observed engaging in a ritualized combat dance with one snake trying to dominate and displace the other. The winner will then mate with the local females, who will produce clutches of up to 30 eggs in late spring or early summer.

Venom: Pseudonaja textilis (Eastern brown snake) is the most toxic member of the genera and, at 12 times the toxicity of the Indian cobra Naja naja, it is the second most toxic land snake in Australia. However, due to the greater range, occurrence in urban areas and aggressive temperament, the eastern brown snake is the most dangerous and clinically important snake in Australia. The venom of the Eastern Brown snake is slow to produce effect, but once symptoms emerge they proceed with terrifying rapidity with death being sudden and unexpected. Part of the problem is that the early signs of the bite pathology closely resemble that of the occurrence of psychological shock and thus may be misdiagnosed. Symptomology of envenomation include: cardiorespiratory failure, disseminated intravascular coagulation accompanied by very active secondary fibrinolysis which contributes to the acute bleeding, renal failure, and severe thrombocytopenia. The coagulant component of the venom is a powerful complete prothrombinase that makes up over 30% of the total venom protein and converts prothrombin to alpha-thrombin which ultimately results in the clinically seen disappearance of fibrinogen and accompanying rise in fibrin in the blood.
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonaja textilis photo   Pseudonaja textilis photo Icon_minitimeSun 13 Apr - 12:12

as there is nothing much known in the western countries about this species, i will include a list of publication on them:

Acott, C. J. (1988). "Acute renal failure after envenomation by the common brown snake." Med-J-Aust 149(11-12): 709-10.

Aird, S. D., C. R. Middaugh, et al. (1989). "Spectroscopic characterization of textilotoxin, a presynaptic neurotoxin from the venom of the Australian eastern brown snake (Pseudonaja t. textilis)." Biochim-Biophys-Acta 997(3): 219-23.

Azhar, A., F. S. Ausat, et al. (1996). "Snake venoms as probes to study the kinetics of formation and architecture of fibrin network structure." Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 391(Natural Toxins 2): 417-425.

Barnett, D. and M. E. H. Howden (1980). "A neurotoxin of novel structural type from the venom of the Australian common brown snake." Naturwissenschaften 67(Cool: 405-6.

Barnett, D. and M. E. H. Howden (1983). "A novel method for selective isolation of lethal glycoprotein toxins from snake venoms." Toxicon 3: 33-6.

Brimacombe, J. and A. Murray (1995). "Envenomation by Ingram's Brown snake (Pseudonaja ingrami)." Anaesth-Intensive-Care 23(2): 231-3.

Chen, S. Z., P. Gopalakrishnakone, et al. (1994). "Pharmacological effects and pathological changes induced by the venom of Pseudechis australis in isolated skeletal muscle preparations." Toxicon 32(3): 303-15.

Chester, A. and G. P. M. Crawford (1982). "In vitro coagulant properties of venoms from Australian snakes." Toxicon 20(2): 501-4.

Coulter, A., R. Harris, et al. (1983). "The isolation and some properties of the major neurotoxic component from the venom of the common or eastern Australian Brown snake ( Pseudonaja textilis)." Toxicon 3: 81-4.

Dambisya, Y. M., T. L. Lee, et al. (1995). "Anticoagulant effects of Pseudechis australis (Australian king brown snake) venom on human blood: a computerized thromboelastography study." Toxicon 33(10): 1378-82.

Eamens, G. J., M. J. Turner, et al. (1988). "Serotypes of Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae in Australian pigs, small ruminants, poultry, and captive wild birds and animals." Aust-Vet-J 65(Cool: 249-52.

Fatehi, M., E. G. Rowan, et al. (1994). "The effects of five phospholipases A2 from the venom of king brown snake, Pseudechis australis, on nerve and muscle." Toxicon 32(12): 1559-72.

Flachsenberger, W., C. M. Leigh, et al. (1995). "Sphero-echinocytosis of human red blood cells caused by snake, red-back spider, bee and blue-ringed octopus venoms and its inhibition by snake sera." Toxicon 33(6): 791-7.

Francis, B., N. Tanaka, et al. (1993). "Polyclonal antibodies to postsynaptic neurotoxin notechis III-4." J. Nat. Toxins 2(1): 85-101.

Geh, S. L., E. G. Rowan, et al. (1992). A comparison of the neuromuscular effects of two phospholipases A2 from the venom of the Australian king brown snake. Recent Adv. Toxinol. Res., [World Conf. Anim., Plant Microb. Toxin], 10th, Natl. Univ. Singapore, Venom Toxin Res. Group, Singapore, Singapore.

Geh, S. L., E. G. Rowan, et al. (1992). "Neuromuscular effects of four phospholipases A2 from the venom of Pseudechis australis, the Australian king brown snake." Toxicon 30(9): 1051-7.

Hamilton, R. C., A. J. Broad, et al. (1980). "Effects of Australian Eastern brown snake (Pseudonaja textilis) venom on the ultrastructure of nerve terminals on the rat diaphragm." Neurosci-Lett 19(1): 45-50.

Harris, J. B. and C. A. Maltin (1981). "The effects of the subcutaneous injection of the crude venom of he Australian common brown snake, Pseudonaja textilis on the skeletal neuromuscular system." Br. J. Pharmacol. 73(1): 157-63.

Harris, J. B. and C. A. Maltin (1981). "The effects of the subcutaneous injection of the crude venom of the Australian common brown snake, Pseudonaja textilis on the skeletal neuromuscular system." Br-J-Pharmacol 73(1): 157-63.

Henderson, A., L. N. Baldwin, et al. (1993). "Fatal brown snake (Pseudonaja textilis) envenomation despite the use of antivenom [see comments]." Med-J-Aust 158(10): 709-10.

Hoagland, L. E., D. A. Triplet, et al. (1996). "APC-resistance as measured by a textarin time assay: comparison to the APTT-based method." Thromb. Res. 83(5): 363-373.

Holloway, S. A. and B. W. Parry (1989). "Observations on blood coagulation after snakebite in dogs and cats." Aust-Vet-J 66(11): 364-6.

Jelinek, G. A. and F. X. Breheny (1990). "Ten years of snake bites at Fremantle Hospital." Med-J-Aust 153(11-12): 658-61.

Leonardi, T. M., M. E. H. Howden, et al. (1979). "A lethal myotoxin isolated from the venom of the Australian king brown snake ( Pseudechis australis)." Toxicon 17(6): 549-55.

Masci, P. P., E. A. Rowe, et al. (1990). "Fibrinolysis as a feature of disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) after Pseudonaja textilis textilis envenomation." Thromb-Res 59(5): 859-70.

Masci, P. P., A. N. Whitaker, et al. (1988). "Purification and characterization of a prothrombin activator from the venom of the Australian brown snake, Pseudonaja textilis textilis." Biochem-Int 17(5): 825-35.

Mebs, D. and Y. Samejima (1980). "Purification, from Australian elapid venoms, and properties of phospholipases A which cause myoglobinuria in mice." Toxicon 18(4): 443-54.

Minton, S. A., Jr. and M. R. Minton (1981). "Toxicity of some Australian snake venoms for potential prey species of reptiles and amphibians." Toxicon 19(6): 749-55.

Morling, A. C., L. R. Marshall, et al. (1989). "Thrombocytopenia after brown snake envenomation [see comments]." Med-J-Aust 151(11-12): 627-8.

Morrison, J. J., J. H. Pearn, et al. (1983). "Further studies on the mass of venom injected by Elapid snakes." Toxicon 21(2): 279-84.

Nicholson, G. M., I. Spence, et al. (1992). Presynaptic actions of textilotoxin, a neurotoxin from the Australian common brown snake ( Pseudonaja textilis). Recent Adv. Toxinol. Res., [World Conf. Anim., Plant Microb. Toxin], 10th, Natl. Univ. Singapore, Venom Toxin Res. Group, Singapore, Singapore.

Nishida, S., M. Terashima, et al. (1985). "Isolation and properties of two phospholipases A2 from the venom of an Australian elapid snake (Pseudechis australis)." Toxicon 23(1): 73-85.

Nishida, S., M. Terashima, et al. (1985). "Amino acid sequences of phospholipases A2 from the venom of an Australian elapid snake (king brown snake, Pseudechis australis)." Toxicon 23(1): 87-104.

Pearn, J., J. Morrison, et al. (1981). "First-aid for snake-bite: efficacy of a constrictive bandage with limb immobilization in the management of human envenomation." Med-J-Aust 2(6): 293-5.

Pearson, J. A., M. I. Tyler, et al. (1991). "Immunological relationships between the subunits of textilotoxin and rabbit antisera raised against textilotoxin and some snake venoms." Toxicon 29(3): 375-8.

Pearson, J. A., M. I. Tyler, et al. (1993). "Studies on the subunit structure of textilotoxin, a potent presynaptic neurotoxin from the venom of the Australian common brown snake (Pseudonaja textilis). 3. The complete amino-acid sequences of all the subunits." Biochim-Biophys-Acta 1161(2-3): 223-9.

Pearson, J. A., M. I. Tyler, et al. (1991). "Studies on the subunit structure of textilotoxin, a potent presynaptic neurotoxin from the venom of the Australian common brown snake ( Pseudonaja textilis). 2. The amino acid sequence and toxicity studies of subunit D." Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1077(2): 147-50.

Ponraj, D. and P. Gopalakrishnakone (1995). "Morphological changes induced by a generalized myotoxin (Myoglobinuria-inducing toxin) from the venom of Pseudechis australis (King brown snake) in skeletal muscle and kidney of mice." Toxicon 33(11): 1453-67.

Ponraj, D. and P. Gopalakrishnakone (1996). "Establishment of an animal model for myoglobinuria by use of a myotoxin from Pseudechis australis (king brown snake) venom in mice." Lab. Anim. Sci. 46(4): 393-398.

Rowan, E. G., A. L. Harvey, et al. (1989). "Neuromuscular effects of three phospholipases A2 from the venom of the Australian king brown snake Pseudechis australis." Toxicon 27(5): 551-60.

Sharp, P. J., S. L. Berry, et al. (1989). "A basic phospholipase A from the venom of the Australian king brown snake (Pseudechis australis) showing diverse activities against membranes." Comp-Biochem-Physiol-B 92(3): 501-8.

Stocker, K., H. Hauer, et al. (1994). "Isolation and characterization of Textarin, a prothrombin activator from eastern brown snake ( Pseudonaja textilis) venom." Toxicon 32(10): 1227-36.

Stocker, K., H. Hauer, et al. (1994). "Isolation and characterization of Textarin, a prothrombin activator from eastern brown snake (Pseudonaja textilis) venom." Toxicon 32(10): 1227-36.

Su, M. J., A. R. Coulter, et al. (1983). "The presynaptic neuromuscular blocking effect and phospholipase A2 activity of textilotoxin, a potent toxin isolated from the venom of the Australian brown snake, Pseudonaja textilis." Toxicon 21(1): 143-51.

Sutherland, S. K. (1992). "Deaths from snake bite in Australia, 1981-1991." Med-J-Aust 157(11-12): 740-6.

Sutherland, S. K., A. W. Duncan, et al. (1982). "Death from a snake bite: associated with the supine hypotensive syndrome of pregnancy." Med-J-Aust 2(5): 238-9.

Sutherland, S. K. and R. L. Leonard (1995). "Snakebite deaths in Australia 1992-1994 and a management update." Med-J-Aust 163(11-12): 616-8.

Takasaki, C., A. Sugama, et al. (1990). "Effects of chemical modifications of Pa-11, a phospholipase A2 from the venom of Australian king brown snake ( Pseudechis australis), on its biological activities." Toxicon 28(1): 107-17.

Takasaki, C., J. Suzuki, et al. (1990). "Purification and properties of several phospholipases A2 from the venom of Australian king brown snake ( Pseudechis australis)." Toxicon 28(3): 319-27.

Takasaki, C., F. Yutani, et al. (1990). "Amino acid sequences of eight phospholipases A2 from the venom of Australian king brown snake, Pseudechis australis." Toxicon 28(3): 329-39.

Tibballs, J., S. Sutherland, et al. (1989). "Studies on Australian snake venoms. Part 1: The haemodynamic effects of brown snake (Pseudonaja) species in the dog." Anaesth-Intensive-Care 17(4): 466-9.

Tibballs, J. and S. K. Sutherland (1992). "The efficacy of heparin in the treatment of common brown snake (Pseudonaja textilis) envenomation." Anaesth-Intensive-Care 20(1): 33-7.

Tibballs, J., S. K. Sutherland, et al. (1992). "The cardiovascular and haematological effects of purified prothrombin activator from the common brown snake (Pseudonaja textilis) and their antagonism with heparin." Anaesth-Intensive-Care 20(1): 28-32.

Trethewie, E. R. and L. Khaled (1972). "Changing antigenic character of venom." T'ai-Wan I Hsueh Hui Tsa Chih 71(6): 431-4.

Triplett, D. A., K. F. Stocker, et al. (1993). "The Textarin/Ecarin ratio: a confirmatory test for lupus anticoagulants." Thromb-Haemost 70(6): 925-31.

Tyler, M. I., D. Barnett, et al. (1987). "Studies on the subunit structure of textilotoxin, a potent neurotoxin from the venom of the Australian common brown snake (Pseudonaja textilis)." Biochim-Biophys-Acta 915(2): 210-6.

Tyler, M. I., I. Spence, et al. (1987). "Pseudonajatoxin b: unusual amino acid sequence of a lethal neurotoxin from the venom of the Australian common brown snake, Pseudonaja textilis." Eur-J-Biochem 166(1): 139-43.

White, J. and R. Fassett (1983). "Acute renal failure and coagulopathy after snakebite." Med-J-Aust 2(3): 142-3.

White, J. and V. Williams (1989). "Severe envenomation with convulsion following multiple bites by a common brown snake, Pseudonaja textilis." Aust-Paediatr-J 25(2): 109-11.

White, J., V. Williams, et al. (1987). "The five-ringed brown snake, Pseudonaja modesta (Gunther): report of a bite and comments on its venom." Med-J-Aust 147(11-12): 603-5.

Williams, V. and J. White (1990). "Variation in venom composition and reactivity in two specimens of yellow-faced whip snake ( Demansia psammophis) from the same geographical area." Toxicon 28(11): 1351-4.

Williams, V. and J. White (1992). "Variation in the composition of the venom from a single specimen of Pseudonaja textilis (common brown snake) over one year." Toxicon 30(2): 202-6.

Williams, V., J. White, et al. (1994). "Comparative study on the procoagulant from the venom of Australian brown snakes (Elapidae; Pseudonaja Spp.)." Toxicon 32(4): 453-9..

Willmott, N., P. Gaffney, et al. (1995). "A novel serine protease inhibitor from the Australian brown snake, Pseudonaja textilis textilis: inhibition kinetics." Fibrinolysis 9(1): 1-8.

Wilson, H. I., G. M. Nicholson, et al. (1995). "Induction of giant miniature end-plate potentials during blockade of neuromuscular transmission by textilotoxin." Naunyn-Schmiedebergs-Arch-Pharmacol 352(1): 79- 87.

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonaja textilis photo   Pseudonaja textilis photo Icon_minitimeSun 13 Apr - 15:48

I was glad to see the "Did You Know?" part right at the beginning. They are fast as lightning, moving and striking, but they DO try to get away from you if possible. Same as most Cobras. Maybe they aren't for everyone, but they are not as bad as most people think. As long as you respect them.

Whenever I opened the cage to separate them before feeding, I would hook the male, who was surprisingly good about riding a hook as long as you were gentle, but the female would fly out of the cage, hit the floor and be gone up under the shelves holding the Neodesha cages. Once the male was safely contained, I had to get down on the floor with a flashlight and look under the 18' long, 3" high space between the floor and the first shelf to find the female. Talk about an adrenaline rush. When your on your hands and knees with your face on the floor, your on her turf, lol.

I can't wait to get these babies in a few weeks. Mine were adults when I got them.
Back to top Go down
Mario Strasser

Male
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonaja textilis photo   Pseudonaja textilis photo Icon_minitimeWed 23 Apr - 21:02

HI Randy !

I think Ian Hendrix from Holland is still breeding them,if you´re interested in some new animals !

kindly regards,

Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.giftschlangen-freiburg.de
Frank Weinsheimer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Frank Weinsheimer

Male
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonaja textilis photo   Pseudonaja textilis photo Icon_minitimeWed 23 Apr - 22:36

Hi Mario,

Iwan sold all his Pseudechis textilis two years ago, the adults as well. Sadly he has no contact to any of the buyers.

Best wishes

Frank
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonaja textilis photo   Pseudonaja textilis photo Icon_minitimeThu 24 Apr - 0:52

Well then, I sure hope my buddy gets those babies in. I think he's supposed to have them next week. I told him I wanted all that he gets. They are supposed to be feeding on pinkies already. Can't wait to see the cute little killers, lol.
Back to top Go down
Mario Strasser

Male
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonaja textilis photo   Pseudonaja textilis photo Icon_minitimeThu 24 Apr - 20:42

I think Freek or Sumarley bought some ! Didn´t they ?!
Back to top Go down
http://www.giftschlangen-freiburg.de
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonaja textilis photo   Pseudonaja textilis photo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pseudonaja textilis photo
Page 1 of 1