VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Frog in Australia goes from 'extinct' to very, very endangered

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Frog in Australia goes from 'extinct' to very, very endangered Empty
PostSubject: Frog in Australia goes from 'extinct' to very, very endangered   Frog in Australia goes from 'extinct' to very, very endangered Icon_minitimeThu 11 Mar - 20:11

Facing habitat loss, pollution, climate change, and the devastating chytrid fungus, there has been little positive news about amphibians recently. However, a story out of Australia brings a much needed respite from bad news.

In 2008 Luke Pearce, a fisheries conservation officer, stumbled on a frog that had been thought to be extinct for over thirty years. Not recorded since the 1970s, Pearce rediscovered the yellow-spotted bell frog (Litoria castanea) on rural Australian farmland in the Southern Tableland of New South Wales.

Last year Pearce and others returned to the same stream and confirmed a colony of 100 yellow-spotted bell frogs. Some tadpoles were also collected for a breeding program in captivity. Although the species is back from extinction, it is still gravely threatened since there are so few individuals and all are known from only one location.

The yellow-spotted bell frog's population collapsed due to the chytrid fungus. Although researchers are not certain why this population survived, they speculate that these individuals could have a genetic resistance to the fungus.

"Scientists were convinced the Yellow-spotted Bell Frog had become extinct, following the tragic path of seven other Australian frog species," said Frank Sartor, the Minister of the Environment and Climate Change, in a press release. "I’m advised that finding this frog is as significant as discovering a Tasmanian tiger. This discovery is a reminder of the need to protect the environment so future generations can enjoy the noise and color of our native animals.”

The announcement wasn't made until conservation measures could be put in place to protect the remaining population of the yellow-spotted bell frog. In addition, the location of the frogs is being kept a closely-guarded secret for their protection.

The yellow-spotted bell frog is known locally as the 'motorbike' frog due to its unique call.

One third of the world's amphibians are in danger of extinction according to the IUCN Red List. Approximately 170 species have gone extinct since 1980, but as the yellow-spotted bell frog sometimes a species can come back from the dead.
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org

Frog in Australia goes from 'extinct' to very, very endangered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frog in Australia goes from 'extinct' to very, very endangered   Frog in Australia goes from 'extinct' to very, very endangered Icon_minitimeThu 11 Mar - 20:39

That is great news!
Back to top Go down

Frog in Australia goes from 'extinct' to very, very endangered
Page 1 of 1