VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Ovophis monticola convictus

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jan Koetze
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-04-05

Ovophis monticola convictus Empty
PostSubject: Ovophis monticola convictus   Ovophis monticola convictus Icon_minitimeWed 16 Apr - 3:20

Let's put another one on the line Very Happy

My Ovophis monticola convictus male. I bought this animal this year. It's a captive bred male 2006 out of WC parents, Kon Tum province, Mang Chamm village. If all goes well i'll buy a female CB 2007 in a few weeks out of parents from the same location. Breeding with them will take a few years because this animal has the spectaculair lenght of 35cm and the new female something like 25cm Very Happy

Well, here it is!

Ovophis monticola convictus Omm5

Ovophis monticola convictus Omm6

Strange feeding behaviour Very Happy These guys don't care about all the effort i put in to keep live plants Twisted Evil

Ovophis monticola convictus Oeat1

His enclosure... way and way to big... ahh well...

Ovophis monticola convictus Nwt1

I'll use a misting system beside the regular nozzels to keep the relative humidity as high as possible (80% - 99%)

Ovophis monticola convictus Nwt6

And a empty enclosure on the bottom for the new female drunken

Ovophis monticola convictus Nwt5

And this is what the datalogger tells me about the enclosure I always do this with new enclosures. I don't like the high tempature at night, have to figure out how to solve this.

Ovophis monticola convictus Nwt7

Jan
Back to top Go down
Peeter Põldsam
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Ovophis monticola convictus   Ovophis monticola convictus Icon_minitimeWed 8 Apr - 3:12

Very nice!
Here is my female O.m.convictus
Ovophis monticola convictus Monticola
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ovophis monticola convictus   Ovophis monticola convictus Icon_minitimeThu 9 Apr - 0:46

nice animals Cool ,good to see you here also Jan Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ovophis monticola convictus   Ovophis monticola convictus Icon_minitimeThu 9 Apr - 5:47

those are some nice looking enclosures Jan!
not to mention these stunning snakes!
very nice Wink
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Ovophis monticola convictus   Ovophis monticola convictus Icon_minitimeThu 9 Apr - 9:08

Hi Jan, nice to see your cages, as usual..
you think, the humidity, stable as it is in this case is suitable?
just curios..

i have found them on places in malaysia where the RH dropped at day to 70% and the floor was on sunny spots (where you find them basking if you lucky) very dry...

cheers
M.
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Israel M. Sánchez
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Israel M. Sánchez

Male
Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Ovophis monticola convictus   Ovophis monticola convictus Icon_minitimeThu 4 Feb - 4:10

What it is the maximum temperature this sp could withstand in captivity without problems? I am looking for this sp but I fear our summer temps... My home can reach about 26ºC in the worst days. Do you use any tricks to lower the temperatures in Ovophis terraria?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Anze Gratzer
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Anze Gratzer

Male
Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Ovophis monticola convictus   Ovophis monticola convictus Icon_minitimeMon 8 Feb - 18:05

Hi, sorry for late reply, I just saw this now.

Some people say that it is essential to lower the temperatures through the night, eventhough temperatures rise at day time. So if you have 26°C, temperatures should fall at least to 17°C at night. But I never tried this, so temperatures at my ovophis are around 22-23 at day and around 16-18°C at night. I wouldn't take a risk.

But I can understad you that you want them so much Very Happy So when I was thinking about them I came up with idea how to cool them down. One thing is deffinatley - keep them close to the floor Wink But if this doesn't do, you have some other options you shopud try. I didn't try it yet, but maybe sometime ...

So the idea was to get myself old refrigerator and put in 30-40 litres of water (how to put them it's up to you - there are many ways). Then you make a hole in the fridge (just the size for tube). And you put both ends of tube in the water, but majority of it is outside (and the metal part is inside terrarium). Here I draw one picture:

Ovophis monticola convictus Hlajenje

So ... green tubs are from gum (as it is isolator) and gray is metal, so the cold can go out and in the terrarium. The black thing is water pump that starts on timer at night. It would be possible to make thermostat too ... THe metal part should be on upper side of terrarium as cold air is going down.

This is only idea and it is not tested yet. If I would do such thing I would deffinatley try to improve it. But It can serve as a guide how to make it ...

I had one more idea, but it took much more space, so i won't tell it here ...

Cheers!
Anze
Back to top Go down
http://fila-brasileiro.webs.com
Israel M. Sánchez
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Israel M. Sánchez

Male
Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Ovophis monticola convictus   Ovophis monticola convictus Icon_minitimeMon 8 Feb - 18:20

Yeah, keeping them close to the floor is something I want to do. I was thinking on something similar to your design. I need a method to lower the temps independently of the Ovophis, because of my Rhacodactylus geckos (which I own already).

Another option could be the use of cold water in a more or less large fog-humidifier (of the type used for a room) to lower the night temps and add humidity. I have a friend who uses one of these with his chamaleon and works (and the chamaleon enclosure is large). I will think on it.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the help Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ovophis monticola convictus   Ovophis monticola convictus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ovophis monticola convictus
Page 1 of 1