VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Bungarus caeruleus

Go down 
+3
Ambros Mathier
Richard Mastenbroek
Stefan Anthonijsz
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Bungarus caeruleus Empty
PostSubject: Bungarus caeruleus   Bungarus caeruleus Icon_minitimeFri 8 Oct - 21:39

I am interested if anyone has kept them, if so what are your experiences of them as captives?

It is my wish to one day keep them but not for the foreable future, I hear some say they can be very difficult.

Certainly faster than I would have thought, considering the way Kraits in general are talked about on TV etc...

A few pictures so as to contribute not just take Very Happy

Bungarus caeruleus IMG_0324

Bungarus caeruleus IMG_0323

Bungarus caeruleus IMG_0321

Any experinces would very welcome
Back to top Go down
Stefan Anthonijsz
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Stefan Anthonijsz

Male
Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2009-09-29

Bungarus caeruleus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bungarus caeruleus   Bungarus caeruleus Icon_minitimeFri 8 Oct - 21:46

Have no experience with them, but a cool snake Smile
Back to top Go down
Richard Mastenbroek
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-05-05

Bungarus caeruleus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bungarus caeruleus   Bungarus caeruleus Icon_minitimeFri 8 Oct - 23:23

They are much easier to keep on rodents than the black and yellow Bungarus fasciatus I have kept some before but I preffer the CHinese Bungarus multcinctus the cool thing is that they can be kept in female groups and just introdoce the male for mating. They fed out of the egg straight on pinky mice absolutly fantastic.
I will look for some pictures of them and post some.

THanks for sharing the nice pictures

regards

Richard
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingsnake.com/elapids
Ambros Mathier
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ambros Mathier

Male
Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2010-09-17

Bungarus caeruleus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bungarus caeruleus   Bungarus caeruleus Icon_minitimeFri 8 Oct - 23:51

I also have no experience with them, but i love them to.
My favorite is the Bungarus fasciatus.

Bungarus caeruleus Dsc_0310

The Foto i made in the Zoo of Bangkok

regards
Ambros
Back to top Go down

Bungarus caeruleus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bungarus caeruleus   Bungarus caeruleus Icon_minitimeFri 8 Oct - 23:52

Thanks for the information, so you kept them without problems up until the time you parted with them.. interesting.

Look forward to the pictures Richard
Back to top Go down

Bungarus caeruleus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bungarus caeruleus   Bungarus caeruleus Icon_minitimeFri 8 Oct - 23:54

Cool snakes.

I have to say, if I could have any species and knew it would succeed, it would have to be flaviceps. Just amazing!
Back to top Go down
Ambros Mathier
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ambros Mathier

Male

Bungarus caeruleus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bungarus caeruleus   Bungarus caeruleus Icon_minitimeSat 9 Oct - 0:02

Here a rather bad shot from Bungarus candidus. Also from the Zoo in Bangkok

Bungarus caeruleus Dsc_0210

I think i have one frome flaviceps at home. I will post, wenn i find it.

Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Bungarus caeruleus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bungarus caeruleus   Bungarus caeruleus Icon_minitimeSat 9 Oct - 1:44

Hi Owen,
I have keept them some years ago. The feed exelent on mices and baby rats. Also the B. multicinctus and B. m. wanhaotingi that I keept too. My B. candidus from Indonesia has also feed on rodens. Only with B. fasciatus I have had manny problems, I got 2,2 from Vietnam, one of the femals was gravied, also I got a gravied candidus from Vietnam. From the fasciatus only one has feed on parts of baby mices. But unfortunely only two timres, after this the has acceped nothing. The candidus has acceped not all mices as food, some only for a short time some has feed like hell.
After this periode of manny work within the Genus I give all for left and has still keeped other snakes.
Back to top Go down

Bungarus caeruleus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bungarus caeruleus   Bungarus caeruleus Icon_minitimeTue 12 Oct - 22:57

Thanks for the reply Peter, so of the more commonly seen Kraits the fasciatus seems to be the most problematic in captivity. Perhaps this is too much of a sweeping statement.
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male

Bungarus caeruleus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bungarus caeruleus   Bungarus caeruleus Icon_minitimeWed 13 Oct - 3:35

Yes Owen,
not only the most common seen ones, also the best looking Bungarus makes a lot of problems. Then B. fasciatus, B.f. flaviceps and B.f. baluensis are the best looking ones for me, but the feeds exclusivly on snakes. Maby sometimes some lizzards like skinks... But how long we can keep such snakes healthy? Ophiohagus is for me also such an snake. How has enought snakes to feed them such a big No. of snakes the need?
Take them with a round body diameter, I think the will feed better on rodents !
The other Three has a triangle diameter, the are maked for eating snakes. I think the Afrikan File-Snake looks in there Body shape nearly like an Krait! Shit I don´t remember the sientific name of this Afrikan snake....But the like to feed on snakes too!
Back to top Go down
Frank Weinsheimer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Frank Weinsheimer

Male
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-04-20

Bungarus caeruleus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bungarus caeruleus   Bungarus caeruleus Icon_minitimeWed 13 Oct - 17:25

Hello everybody,

I currently keep several Bungarus species (B. candidus, B. ceruleus, B. multicinctus) and at least these species are doing fine in captivity and feed well on mice. The reputation of Bungarus sp. as being only ophiophag and difficult to keep is highly exaggerated. Some species as B. flaviceps might be more difficult, but more often offered species like B. multicinctus I can recommend to experienced keepers.
With some species it seems to have something to do with the origin of the animals if they are easy to keep or not. B. candidus from Malaysia feed almost ever directly on mice when arriving, while I heard from several keepers that animals from Indonesia don´t. Maybe it has something to do with the origin or with the conditions of the animals from Indonesia (Indonesian imported animals are well known as being in bad conditions).
Probably the easiest Bungarus is Bungarus multicinctus. This species feeds on fish and mice, does not grow too big and can be purchased in several different colourmorphs. But please keep in mind, that they well bite during day (as from my experince all the Bungarus species do) and move uncontrollable and freaky when being disturbed.

Best regards

Frank
Back to top Go down
Pascal Schoefflen

Male
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-07-24

Bungarus caeruleus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bungarus caeruleus   Bungarus caeruleus Icon_minitimeWed 13 Oct - 17:49

Peter- Are you mentionning Mehelya capensis?
Back to top Go down
ralf webbink
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Bungarus caeruleus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bungarus caeruleus   Bungarus caeruleus Icon_minitimeWed 13 Oct - 21:11

Frank,do you have any pictures of the animals?
Would love to see their enclosures too,if that's not too much of a hastle!
Back to top Go down

Bungarus caeruleus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bungarus caeruleus   Bungarus caeruleus Icon_minitimeWed 13 Oct - 21:21

Peter van Issem wrote:
Yes Owen,
not only the most common seen ones, also the best looking Bungarus makes a lot of problems. Then B. fasciatus, B.f. flaviceps and B.f. baluensis are the best looking ones for me, but the feeds exclusivly on snakes. Maby sometimes some lizzards like skinks... But how long we can keep such snakes healthy? Ophiohagus is for me also such an snake. How has enought snakes to feed them such a big No. of snakes the need?
Take them with a round body diameter, I think the will feed better on rodents !
The other Three has a triangle diameter, the are maked for eating snakes. I think the Afrikan File-Snake looks in there Body shape nearly like an Krait! Shit I don´t remember the sientific name of this Afrikan snake....But the like to feed on snakes too!

Flaviceps are my favourite. I think I am getting what you are saying. Thanks for the reply.
Back to top Go down

Bungarus caeruleus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bungarus caeruleus   Bungarus caeruleus Icon_minitimeWed 13 Oct - 21:26

Frank Weinsheimer wrote:
Hello everybody,

I currently keep several Bungarus species (B. candidus, B. ceruleus, B. multicinctus) and at least these species are doing fine in captivity and feed well on mice. The reputation of Bungarus sp. as being only ophiophag and difficult to keep is highly exaggerated. Some species as B. flaviceps might be more difficult, but more often offered species like B. multicinctus I can recommend to experienced keepers.
With some species it seems to have something to do with the origin of the animals if they are easy to keep or not. B. candidus from Malaysia feed almost ever directly on mice when arriving, while I heard from several keepers that animals from Indonesia don´t. Maybe it has something to do with the origin or with the conditions of the animals from Indonesia (Indonesian imported animals are well known as being in bad conditions).
Probably the easiest Bungarus is Bungarus multicinctus. This species feeds on fish and mice, does not grow too big and can be purchased in several different colourmorphs. But please keep in mind, that they well bite during day (as from my experince all the Bungarus species do) and move uncontrollable and freaky when being disturbed.
Best regards

Frank

Interesting, thanks for that. I too found them, though I am only talking about caeruleus as that is all I have encountered, to be quicker and 'thrashier' (quite sure that's not a real word!) than I would have thought. The guys I was with in India certainly treated them with respect & acted cautiously around them.

I too would love to see some pictures of any animals or enclosures you would be willing to share with us.

Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male

Bungarus caeruleus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bungarus caeruleus   Bungarus caeruleus Icon_minitimeFri 15 Oct - 13:30

ralf webbink wrote:
Frank,do you have any pictures of the animals?
Would love to see their enclosures too,if that's not too much of a hastle!

Yes, that is it! I has worked in in reptile shop more than 25 years ago. There we got them in a shipment. The owner of the shop put them together with some Boa constrictor. And what was happend....No Boas inside the Vivarium but inside the File snakes! Good but expencive Food ;-)
Back to top Go down
Ambros Mathier
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ambros Mathier

Male

Bungarus caeruleus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bungarus caeruleus   Bungarus caeruleus Icon_minitimeFri 15 Oct - 20:03

as promised, the foto of the B. flaviceps.
Sorry i don't have e better one.
Bungarus caeruleus Flavic11
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bungarus caeruleus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bungarus caeruleus   Bungarus caeruleus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bungarus caeruleus
Page 1 of 1