VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular?

Go down 
+4
Frank Weinsheimer
toni beckman
Tim Hallam
Kelly Chabak
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelly Chabak
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Kelly Chabak

Female
Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2010-09-29

Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular? Empty
PostSubject: Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular?   Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Oct - 1:39

Hi,

I've been on this site for awhile now, and noticed that there do not seem to be a lot of people keeping Bungarus. Is there a particular reason for this, or are people just not posting much on them?
Just wondering.

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
Tim Hallam
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tim Hallam

Male
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular?   Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Oct - 2:24

Kelly I think it's probably mostly to do with availability combined with being shy and ophiophagic makes them a difficult choice

Back to top Go down
Kelly Chabak
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Kelly Chabak

Female

PostSubject: Re: Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular?   Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Oct - 5:54

That would make sense. There are some really beautiful ones though. Thank you:)
Back to top Go down
toni beckman
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular?   Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Oct - 16:45

I have keeped shortly B.multicinctus.
But to thought that all Bungarus would be ophiophagus, is not so clear thing, example there is some papers that B.multicintus do eat in wild (sorry, no paper info, because im not at home) plenty of fish, similarity as Barbatulas.

My multicinctus was also very keen about earthworms, similar way as my M.xanthina yongster was in crickets her early days. They was wery young and small ones, and big loss with them was hard winter that did broke my apartment waterpipes and small catastrophy with animals was started with temperature loss, but that is another story..

But still; i did mostly of time force feed them with cornsnake pieces.
Anyway, im not suprised if future would show that they would eat plenty of invertebrate, when they are young. I couldnt try that enough, because i did get snakes to Finland, in late autum and loss them several months after that, and my plan was try these things with our native invertables.
Back to top Go down
Frank Weinsheimer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Frank Weinsheimer

Male
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular?   Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular? Icon_minitimeSun 14 Oct - 2:32

Hello everyone,

I have kept several Bungarus sp. (B. multicinctus, B. candidus, B. caeruleus, B. flaviceps) for some time and beside of the B. falviceps which was in bad shape and died shortly after arrival, all of them fed on rodents without any problem. The story of Bungarus sp. being strictly ophiophagus is simply not true. Even fresh wild caught animals (if in good health and shape!) feed in most cases readily on mice, chicken or fish. Their reputation of being hard to keep alive in captivity is strongly exaggerated and is probably the reason for kraits being seldom seen in collections. This is also the reason why they are seldom imported. Nearly every exporter in Southeast Asia has them on their price lists.
But it is true, that they are mostly hiding during the day and only become active at night.
Just in case you play with the thought to get one: Keep in mind that all Bungarus sp. (beside Bungarus fasciatus, which has a moderately toxic venom but a large amount of it) have one of the most toxic snake venoms and some animals I kept in the past were very quick to bite in every direction when being disturbed, no matter if it was bright day or night. All kraits have a strike length of at least half of the body length. The bite direction was just random or in the direction where the snakes feels the air flow comes from. The eye sight seems to be quite underdeveloped and Bungarus sp. orientate mostly by olfactory sense.
Last but not least: All kraits I kept were a pain in the a.. when trying to lifting them up with a hook. If you keep all this in mind and being extra cautious with these animals they can be easily maintained.

Best regards

Frank
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular?   Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular? Icon_minitimeMon 15 Oct - 22:06

Very interesting, Frank, thank You!
Wipes away some "knowledge" that could be read so often. In fact I've never ever seen a krait except on photos.
Why is it so difficult to hookhandle them? Are they so nervous?
Regards,
Guenter
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Kelly Chabak
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Kelly Chabak

Female

PostSubject: Re: Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular?   Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular? Icon_minitimeTue 16 Oct - 1:13

Thanks:) Are there any that are known to be exclusive snake feeders, and is scent manipulation involved when feeding rodents? We don't have any antivenom here, and they would throw me in jail for keeping them where I live, so I won't be keeping any:( I think Klaus had some at one time, but not sure if he still has them. Anyway, thanks to all for the info.
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular?   Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular? Icon_minitimeTue 16 Oct - 1:40

Hi at all: Yes Frank is right, it´s not very easy to work with them. I´ll keep also some of them, all the species Frank listed, without flaviceps, thats depends on the stricly opgiophag feeding behaviour. But I´ll keeped B. fasciatus, they feed very good snakes, but not all kind of them.
I have read an article, that there was an single speciemen that has feed on mices, so I was in hope to bring this species to become a micefeeder - no succes! Sometimes they have acceped mices or rats, but only one or two times when I put them in fresh skins from asian ratsnakes. I was lucky and bought some gravied B. candidus and B. faciatus, the offsprings from candidus feeds after a wile mices or parts of them. From the fasciatus only one has feed onece a mice, after this nothing than snakes. forcefeeding them is very diffic. All fasciatus died within a year, some of the candidus was harder and grow up.
To keep them is intresting, but you will not often seen your snakes. Only my candidus (regulars black & with ringed and the ,,javanicus´´ solid black form) came out, when they smell mices. Than this slowly snake displays a complete other behaviour - hungry they are very fast, bite in everything thats around them. I use hooks for the bigger ones and have had no bigger problems to bring them from one container to an other. For the smaler ones I use leather gloves.
When you aske me if I will keep them again I will say yes!

Last edited by Peter van Issem on Sun 25 Nov - 19:12; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
toni beckman
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular?   Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular? Icon_minitimeFri 19 Oct - 3:28

Its very interesting to read experiences with Bungarus sp.
Mostly because here in internet, is not much caresheet information to read about them.
I also agreed, that when they do feel nervous or been hungry, or if there is must handling situation: snakes can be truly fast fligt ones.
And as Peter did write, there is not much control use with young ones using hooks.
Id did use good success in forcefeeding situations with myself as a customise foam part.
Back to top Go down
Klaus Roemer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular?   Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular? Icon_minitimeFri 19 Oct - 23:03

In the past 12 years or so we kept several specimen of Bungarus caeruleus, multicinctus, candidus, sindanus and fasciatus, and we were lucky enough to captive-breed B. caeruleus twice. I can confirm and underscore what Frank said above. By and large, except perhaps for B. fasciatus that often comes as a parasite-loaded pure snake eater when offered on the pet market, they are easy to maintain on frozen-thawed mice, and in my opinion they are even easy to breed, only that people may shy away from trying for fear of cannibalism. Actually, in all these years we never had an incident where pairs of kraits were having trouble with one another. A further reason for the low popularity of these snakes among Herpetoculturists may be that the animals are very secretive and rarely ever seen in the terrarium. Anyway, I like them a lot and recommend them to (experienced) venomous snake keepers.
Back to top Go down
toni beckman
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular?   Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Oct - 16:42

Here are some of my references:

Observations and comments on the diet of the many-banded krait (Bungarus multicinctus mulitcinctus) in Taiwan. Jean-Jay Mao, et. al. IRCF Reptiles & amphibians. Vol 17. No 3. Jun 2010

The diet of kraits (Elapidae: Bungarus) Short note... Herpetological Rewiew 25(2), 1994

Food of the common venomous snakes of Taiwan. Shou-Hsian Mao. Herpetologica 26:45-46. March, 1970

I do have some more of these, but i found this morning only these three.
Back to top Go down
Kelly Chabak
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Kelly Chabak

Female

PostSubject: Re: Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular?   Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular? Icon_minitimeFri 26 Oct - 1:56

Thanks for the references:)
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2011-06-19

PostSubject: Bungarus   Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Nov - 22:55

Kelly,

Not a lot to add here except I agree with the others who have responded concerning Bungarus. While they are absolutely beautiful, snakes of this genus have not been very popular with venomous keepers or zoological institutions because of their secretive and ophiophagous habits. My general impression with kraits is that they are very jerky and unpredictable in their behavior and should never be underestimated when having to maneuver them. I have only had experience with B. fasciatus, but do know an occasional one can be switched over to rodents.

[img]Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular? 8211331650_30eb998531_z[/img]

Regards

Michael
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular?   Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bungarus Keeping.. not too popular?
Page 1 of 1