VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

self envenomation

Go down 
+12
Jon Davidson
Mario Lutz
Alex Larsen
Jake Hawthorne
Guenter Leitenbauer
Björn Nilsson
Stefan Anthonijsz
Peter Zürcher
Stephan Niemann
Kelly Chabak
Fabian Dirks
Sascha Beckhoff
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sascha Beckhoff
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Sascha Beckhoff

Male
Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-01-14

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeFri 15 Oct - 0:46

Hey guys,

watch this video.Crazy!!! Shocked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNF3eA9D2Ek
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeFri 15 Oct - 1:04

Stupid behaviour and stuff which has to be deleted from the web. ( unfortunately not possible )
Such videos are watched by many people and snakes look more harmless, maybe a foolish people makes the same with own snakes to publish it on the same way. -> Well a Darwin-Award is a nice thing
There are too many videos published on the web, not worth to be seen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Kelly Chabak
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Kelly Chabak

Female
Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2010-09-29

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeFri 15 Oct - 1:18

Has anyone told Karl that they are experimenting using epitope strands and camels (Simon Wagstaff for one) to lessen the occurrences of anaphylaxis? It seems like it would be a good idea to see if anyone is interested FIRST, before getting the crap bitten out of your arm by rattlesnakes. Hmmmm. Well, thanks for posting this video it was very interesting. cyclops
Back to top Go down
Stephan Niemann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-02-01

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeFri 15 Oct - 1:34

this crazy and there is more then one video
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeFri 15 Oct - 1:58

Hmm, i think i know Karl from a Mexico trip about 20 years ago.
He did some self-envenomation with mexican rear fanged snakes then.
It surprises me to see him still doing such things.............

regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Stephan Niemann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-02-01

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeFri 15 Oct - 1:59

peter if hes been doing this 20 years and longer i am surprised he still alive
Back to top Go down
Stefan Anthonijsz
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Stefan Anthonijsz

Male
Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2009-09-29

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeFri 15 Oct - 2:57

OMG Shocked Why would someone do that?
Back to top Go down
Kelly Chabak
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Kelly Chabak

Female

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeFri 15 Oct - 3:39

Well, they don't make Quaaludes anymore. This is just one theory. drunken
Back to top Go down
Björn Nilsson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Björn Nilsson

Male
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-09-16

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeFri 15 Oct - 5:04

There is a new documentary on this topic:
http://press.discovery.com/us/apl/programs/snake-man/
Back to top Go down
Kelly Chabak
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Kelly Chabak

Female

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeSun 17 Oct - 4:02

Well, is there some sort of data that supports his theory? I mean, are there instances of someone with a preexisting medical condition getting a snakebite, and the result is that symptoms are alleviated? Is he treating himself for some illness in this manner? I am sort of confused. They already use venom for high blood pressure medication etc, what is the advantage of injecting yourself vs. going to the pharmacy?
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeSun 17 Oct - 4:57

Hello Kelly,

I don´t think there are any existing data for that theory. Snake venoms are complex-molecules and less is known about medical effects ( and I think many toxins are still under investigation for medical effects ), on the other the chance of anaphylaxis gets higher with each bite, or is it not correct?
Snakes venoms like the product Ancrod ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancrod ) are used in stroke management, but if the same venom from a snake will have same effects...hm
lottery

Interesting question indeed for ours systematicus
Back to top Go down
Kelly Chabak
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Kelly Chabak

Female

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeSun 17 Oct - 5:08

Hi Fabian,

So there is no advantage that you are aware of, for being bitten rather than just proceeding to the pharmacy unless he has some condition he thinks might be improved by venom for which there is currently no medication? I wish there were more details on the motives of these guys. I know that in some countries they use bee stings for an arthritis treatment and was wondering if it was some variation of that. No
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeSun 17 Oct - 6:00

Quote :
I wish there were more details on the motives of these guys.

The internet is making their own. I'm looking at some forums to find bites of colubrids for my site , to display aftereffects in addition to papers.
http://www.rear-fanged.com/heterodon.html ( one example )

Lucky enough I find more and more people who are bitten on purpose.

So I don´t ask myself , why people do something - Darwin-Awards
Back to top Go down
Kelly Chabak
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Kelly Chabak

Female

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeMon 18 Oct - 1:11

Thanks Very Happy Nice work on your site. You have added quite a bit since I last visited Cool!
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeMon 18 Oct - 1:46

Yes. I update the site frequently, but I forgot the marquee text at home where everything new have been updated...
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeWed 20 Oct - 15:06

Here's another "self-envenomator", working with Dendroaspis polylepis:
http://www.timfriede.com/index.shtml
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Sascha Beckhoff
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Sascha Beckhoff

Male
Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-01-14

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeWed 20 Oct - 20:13

What??That´s now totaly crazy.What´s wrong with this Guys.Deathwishes? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeWed 20 Oct - 20:44

Survival of the fittest ... the problem will solve itself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Kelly Chabak
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Kelly Chabak

Female

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeThu 21 Oct - 4:47

Hi Guenter,
Unfortunately the stupid generally replicate themselves in large numbers before becoming extinct. This ensures that there are plenty of them, occupying all ecological niches at all times. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeThu 21 Oct - 15:46

Believe it or not

There is a "tribe" in greece able to self envenomation and produce serum

In this case it is recommended ,

horses are no longer necessary...Klick

Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeThu 21 Oct - 17:31

Kelly, sometimes we have to close our eyes, neglect the reality and hope for the best Very Happy

Back to serious discussion:
People like these (and people who show videos of risky handling with really dangerous snakes) damage our hobby seriously in the public opinion. I do not know how to handle that but maybe we should just ignore them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Jake Hawthorne
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-10-17

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeWed 3 Nov - 6:11

Kelly,

I think the reason people do this is in the belief that they will develop an immunity to the venom of the snakes they are handling. The logic behind it being that if horses, sheep and other mammals can be immunized with venom to the point where their antibodies can neutralize its deleterious effects, then why not humans? The one fact they seem to overlook is that if a sheep or horse dies in the course of envenomation it probably won't make headlines in the newspapers!

There is some anecdotal evidence to support their hypothesis, namely the years of self-envenomation by Bill Haast, the founder of the Miami Serpentarium. Mr. Haast routinely immunized himself with the venoms of certain dangerous species for which antivenin was not made at the time, or was not readily accessable. This may have saved his life on occasions where he suffered bites from elapids. He is credited with saving the lives of a few people by donating blood transfusions to the victims of exotic snakebite (including a krait bite victim) in the US before the advent of modern antivenins.

With the high risks of anaphylaxis, the myriad of toxic effects of venomand the availability of antivenins, I don't see any reason for people to be doing things like this. Save up some money, find a good doctor and buy the antivenins yourself (or at least find out how you can have access to them)! If people can't handle that, then you peobably shouldn't keep venomous snakes.

Guenter,

I don't think ignoring these people is an option. There should be some kind of safety regulations (and perhaps an intelligence test) for people to keep these animals. Number one on the rules should be: Don't intentionally let your snakes bite you!!!!

Unfortunately, I think it's going to take one of these idiots killing themselves and our hobby being banned before this nonsense stops.

Back to top Go down
Kelly Chabak
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Kelly Chabak

Female

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeWed 3 Nov - 6:28

Hi Luke,

It seems weird though suspect:, because there is plenty of data that antivenom works, and there is research being done to find alternatives that are less likely to cause a reaction using camels etc. With adrenaline and other drugs to treat reactions, why do it? Are they not reading, or do they really believe that human antibodies are the only way to go? I don't know that I would want any antibodies from Carl. Would you want blood products from these guys? It just seems like the reasons that they are stating, do not make sense in light of the facts of the matter. Thank you for the info, but this whole idea of self immunization makes no sense to me. Im sooooo confused..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Alex Larsen

Male
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-10-26

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeWed 3 Nov - 11:57

I just watched a show where a guy self-injected himself with a normally lethal dose of Black Mamba venom and beyond some local swelling there were no effects. Apparently, he also replicated this experiment with a species of Cobra, but it was edited out because of time crunch. The center that this guy works for is actually looking to derive actual venom vaccinations (and from what I understand, they're FDA certified).

Is it stupid to let a snake bite you and hope to accomplish the same thing? Completely and absolutely. But under controlled situations and stepping up to full envenomations, it has the potential to work. But either way, the movement isn't as small as one would think, at least not in the US.
Back to top Go down
Jake Hawthorne
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-10-17

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitimeWed 3 Nov - 23:22

Kelly,

I want blood products from these guys about as much as I want a bushmaster bite to the eyeball! I think they're doing it more to save themselves in the event of a bite than for some kind of altruistic reasons. Either way it's ill-advised and casts a shadow over our hobby. There's some science behind it (in theory at least), so people take those ideas and run with them wothout much thought to the consequences. Although there is data that antivenin works, perhaps their thought process is: "Why should I pay $100 000 for antivenin at the hospital when I can make my own for free?" Another reason these guys do this could be the risk of anaphylaxis from antivenin therapy, but the same risk exists from the snake venom itself so that's a moot point.

On another piont, snake's mouthes are known to harbour some nasty bacteria and puncture wounds usually end up with the worst types of infections. The risks to being bitten by a snake go beyond the effects of the venom.

Alex,

I agree that if the self-envenoming works to produce enough antibodies, the benefit could be great, but does the risk taken justify that benefit? That's a question people have to decide for themselves. Unfortunately, the eyes of the world will be on the rest of us whenever someone screws up.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

self envenomation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: self envenomation     self envenomation  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

self envenomation
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: Off Topic :: curiosities-
Jump to: