VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

NC Reptile Owners Back Some Safety Measures To Protect Public And Animal For Crocodilians And Some Constrictors.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

NC Reptile Owners Back Some Safety Measures To Protect Public And Animal For Crocodilians And Some Constrictors. Empty
PostSubject: NC Reptile Owners Back Some Safety Measures To Protect Public And Animal For Crocodilians And Some Constrictors.   NC Reptile Owners Back Some Safety Measures To Protect Public And Animal For Crocodilians And Some Constrictors. Icon_minitimeThu 8 May - 13:16

(Article Also Includes History Of Introduction Of Recent Exotic Animal Laws In NC General Assembly From 2005 To Present, And Announcement Of Formation Of A US Version Of NCARK.)
By Samuel Spies, Staff Writer, Raleigh News-Observer, 5/5/08

RALEIGH - As hundreds of reptile and exotic animal lovers browsed tables stacked with pythons, boas, lizards and other critters, the president of a group formed to fight including reptiles in a ban on dangerous animal ownership said he was preparing to take his group national.

Andrew Wyatt, president of the N.C. Association of Reptile Keepers, said Sunday that a national association had incorporated Thursday to promote responsible ownership of reptiles. At the Carolina Reptile and Exotic Animal Show at the State Fairgrounds, NCARK had a booth under a banner urging attendees to "Join us and help protect your rights."

NCARK was formed in the wake of a bill introduced at the General Assembly in 2005 that would have sharply restricted the ability of private owners to keep non-indigenous venomous snakes and large constrictors. That bill was routed to a study committee that became a battleground between animal rights activists and other groups who wanted to see a statewide ban on a broad range of animals deemed dangerous, and hobbyists, owners of small private zoos and others who said a broad prohibition wasn't necessary.

Before the study committee filed its report, a ban bill sponsored by the Animal Protection Institute of Sacramento, Calif., was introduced to the General Assembly in 2006. But most of the language related to reptiles was removed from that bill before it eventually died in committee last year and is absent from proposed legislation that is being reviewed by a second study committee.

That has reptile hobbyists breathing a little easier, Wyatt said.

Currently, the second study committee is looking at a far different version of the bill on inherently dangerous wild animals that has evolved from a statewide ban on a broad range of animals into a measure that would require counties to regulate and restrict ownership of wolves, large cats, hyenas and bears.

The ban movement can be traced to the 2003 mauling death of a Wilkes County boy, killed by a tiger kept at his aunt's home. The Animal Protection Institute, a California-based animal rights group, has been active in North Carolina to get a ban passed.

Wyatt said he expects additional legislation based on his group's proposals for reptile ownership requirements to be introduced in the 2009 session. NCARK supports requiring owners of certain reptiles such as large constrictors or crocodilians to have locking cages and written recapture plans and to follow other safety and husbandry standards. It's those standards that Wyatt plans to promote nationally with USARK, he said.

"A well-caged animal is not a dangerous animal," said Wyatt, who lives in the Currituck County town of Coinjock.

Wyatt said the original ban would have applied to 80 percent of the animals at this weekend's exotic pet show. Most vendors were selling reptiles and a few amphibians, though the show also featured parrot demonstrations and elephant rides.

Eric Williams, of Buffalo, N.Y, said regulations about reptiles vary widely between states and localities. Williams, who works for reptile retailer Reptile Addicts, said the company is allowed to keep, but not sell, certain snakes in New York but can sell them out of state.

"It's pretty insane," he said. "I don't see a reason for that much regulation."
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org

NC Reptile Owners Back Some Safety Measures To Protect Public And Animal For Crocodilians And Some Constrictors.
Page 1 of 1