VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Psammophis egg laying

Go down 
+5
Albert J. Montejo
Fabian Dirks
Ambros Mathier
Guenter Leitenbauer
Gilian van Dijk
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Gilian van Dijk

Male
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-12-19

Psammophis egg laying Empty
PostSubject: Psammophis egg laying   Psammophis egg laying Icon_minitimeFri 20 May - 17:47

One of my Psammophis sibilans females laid some more eggs. I observed here laying her last egg. Unfortunately the female was killed by her sister (or brother) a couple of days later, so it was indeed her last egg Crying or Very sad

Psammophis egg laying GroteFoto-68FMBGEW
Psammophis egg laying GroteFoto-OPS3A8ZN
Psammophis egg laying GroteFoto-GODZ3VQA
Psammophis egg laying GroteFoto-SGL7MH8P
Psammophis egg laying GroteFoto-XFMVEIQG
Psammophis egg laying GroteFoto-KP3UFR34
Psammophis egg laying GroteFoto-3P7QVIUJ
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Psammophis egg laying   Psammophis egg laying Icon_minitimeFri 20 May - 17:50

Wow, that's a series of photographs! Perfect moment, perfectly captured!

Sorry to hear of Your loss!
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Ambros Mathier
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ambros Mathier

Male
Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Psammophis egg laying   Psammophis egg laying Icon_minitimeFri 20 May - 18:22

Thanks for the superb pictures!! I am a big fan of Psammophis sp. It's just a pity, that there are so seldom available. I had a pair WC Psammophis shokari for about 8 years. They where really great animals. Interested in every thing what i was doing in the snake room.
I wish you good luck with the eggs and I'm sorry for your loss.
Quote :
Unfortunately the female was killed by her sister (or brother) a couple of days later
How did this happen? Where there any fighting tracks or did the female have bite wounds?
I also would be interested how you keep them. Am i right, you kept 2.1 in the same enclosure?
Regards Ambros

Last edited by Ambros Mathier on Wed 25 May - 16:44; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Psammophis egg laying   Psammophis egg laying Icon_minitimeFri 20 May - 18:33

Excellent work, sorry to hear that this specimen is killed!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Gilian van Dijk

Male

PostSubject: Re: Psammophis egg laying   Psammophis egg laying Icon_minitimeFri 20 May - 18:37

Hi,

I kept 1.2 in a cage of 90x60x35cm with a hot spot (over 45 degrees centigrade), sand and some wood/rocks. It was a captive bred trio and both females have laid eggs. They were born in 2009 so still too young to die. The head and neck of the female were wet and covered with sand. The mouth of the other female was also covered/filled with sand, so I assume that she killed her. I didn't see a fight, so I don't really know what happend. Maybe the female that laid eggs was hungry and attacked the other female but that the other female was stronger? I don't know. I have 1.1 left and that female laid one clutch of eggs so hopefully they will do fine.

kind regards

Gilian
Back to top Go down
Ambros Mathier
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ambros Mathier

Male
Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Psammophis egg laying   Psammophis egg laying Icon_minitimeFri 20 May - 19:07

Thank you Gilian for the reply.
Quote :
The head and neck of the female were wet and covered with sand. The mouth of the other female was also covered/filled with sand, so I assume that she killed her. I didn't see a fight, so I don't really know what happend
Sounds strange. What is the size of your animals? I suppose it was the first time you breed with them? Lucky you have 1.1 left.
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2011-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Psammophis egg laying   Psammophis egg laying Icon_minitimeFri 20 May - 19:24

Perhaps look elsewhere for the cause , case in point , once when i was breeding Deathadders Acanthophis pyrrhus , i used a sand substrate eventually the males hemipenes became encrusted with sand and semen and could not retract his organs of which one was rendered useless and had to be amputated after a long soak in water with an antibiotic , i had several problems using natural substrates versus paper.

*some pers. husbandary notes.

Regards Albert
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

PostSubject: Re: Psammophis egg laying   Psammophis egg laying Icon_minitimeFri 20 May - 19:29

Quote :
head and neck of the female were wet and covered with sand.

I suppose she was in the mouth of the other snake
Back to top Go down
Gilian van Dijk

Male

PostSubject: Re: Psammophis egg laying   Psammophis egg laying Icon_minitimeFri 20 May - 19:50

Ambros: They are about 70 cm long. Maybe 80cm. This is the third clutch I got from this trio and the second one from this female.

Albert and Fabian: The breeder of my animals also found one animal from his breeding trio dead once. The couple he had left was sold to someone else and he bred them again. One of his three hatchlings tried to ate his two brothers/sisters. So I think that this is what happened to me too. I think that the other female ate part of this female but regurgitated it again.
I expected that putting males together would give problems. I hope that females only eat females and males only males.

kind regards

Back to top Go down
Louis Jacobsz
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Louis Jacobsz

Male
Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2010-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Psammophis egg laying   Psammophis egg laying Icon_minitimeWed 25 May - 2:28

Very well done Gilian and great pics !

Some Psammophis sp. do eat other snakes so housing them together is not a good idea in my opinion.
Check this out...
http://barefootnaturedoctor.wordpress.com/2010/11/07/snake-eats-snake/

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ljafricancaptivebreds.co.za
Gilian van Dijk

Male

PostSubject: Re: Psammophis egg laying   Psammophis egg laying Icon_minitimeSat 4 Jun - 4:36

Thanks for your comment.

One of the eggs of a previous clutch hatched a couple of days ago.

Psammophis egg laying GroteFoto-7J8YZF8D

Psammophis egg laying GroteFoto-A7AYC3JD

regards

Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

PostSubject: Re: Psammophis egg laying   Psammophis egg laying Icon_minitimeSat 4 Jun - 5:50

Wow. Those one looks nice Wink
Back to top Go down
Jan Jonkman
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jan Jonkman

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Psammophis egg laying   Psammophis egg laying Icon_minitimeSat 4 Jun - 16:30

Very nice Gillian!
Back to top Go down
Martin VanBuren Habecker

Male
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Psammophis egg laying   Psammophis egg laying Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug - 11:11

It is just wonderful to see others that are into odd colubrids as well! I have a pair of P sibilans and P mossambicus and a lone male P tanganicus I have yet to find a mate for unfortunately. They are VERY hard to get here in the US. I am very glad to see someone taking the time to breed these with some regularity though. Great pics by the way.
Back to top Go down
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Mike Spencer

Male
Number of posts : 386
Registration date : 2010-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Psammophis egg laying   Psammophis egg laying Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug - 13:28

Bummer about the death, but thanks a lot for sharing the series of photos!
Back to top Go down
http://www.michaelrayspencer.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Psammophis egg laying   Psammophis egg laying Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Psammophis egg laying
Page 1 of 1