VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Michael Schmutz
Michael Schmutz

Male
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-09-14

Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah Empty
PostSubject: Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah   Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah Icon_minitimeTue 11 Oct - 1:02

Hello everyone

Reading all the posts here in the Forum, I have realized that you do a difference between the following local color variations of Ophiophagus hannah :

Chinese
Malaysien
Indonesien

However, I have not seen yet someone talking about Indian or Thai Ophiophagus hannah.
Do you count the Thai animals to the Indonesian and the Indians to the Chinese because their appearance are almost the same?

Furthermore I would be interested in the following questions:
Details about the Ophiophagus hannah habitat in China, like altitude, temperature, humidity, vegetation, seasons, etc.
Have you noticed different behavior / temperament of the different local coloration forms?
Are there differences of the local coloration forms of Ophiophagus hannah in the final size?

May anybody help me out or could let me know about their experience with Ophiophagus hannah?
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah   Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah Icon_minitimeTue 11 Oct - 2:45

Hey Michael,

The reason you do not hear much if anything about Thai and Indian O. hannah, is because they do not allow them to be exported, so very few are in private collections.

I have experience with Indonesian and Malaysian O. hannah, and since I have been to Thailand many times, I have a little knowledge of them as well.

Thai and Indonesian O. hannah are not really alike in terms of how they look. Below are some forms I have kept, and some I have photographed in Thailand.

I would have to look up the habitat in China, but I can tell you that it seems you do not have to exactly replicate a certain habitat. I have kept Indo and Malay O. hannah, most of the Asian and African Naja species, as well as Crotalus, and Bitis species, in the same room with the same heat and humidity, same substrate, same everything. I do spray cages when something is about to shed, but other than that, most species can be housed just like the Naja species. I did keep some Bothrechis species in a higher humidity setup.

I have not noticed any difference in behavior or temperament as far as locality goes, but some specimens are more calm than others.

From what I have seen, Malay specimens seem to grow bigger than Indonesian and Thai specimens. I have a male Malay O. hannah that is 3.81 m long. I just sold a male of the same size to a buddy for a Zoo. The biggest Indo I have kept was 3.35 m long. The Thai specimens I have seen have never been much over 3 m, but that is not to say they can not get bigger. That is just what I have seen from some 30 or more Kings in Thailand.

Indonesian Female
Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah IndoFemale

Malaysian Male
Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah MalayMale

Malaysian Male Back of hood
Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah MalayMaleBack

Thai Olive Form at Thai Red Cross
Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah Thai1Olive

Thai Dark Brown to Black
Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah Thai2DarkbrownBlack

Thai Olive with Silver Bands
Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah Thai3OliveSilverBands

Thai Olive with Yellow Bands
Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah Thai4OliveyellowBands

Thai Black with White Bands
Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah Thai5BlackWhiteBands
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomstreet.com
Ro vd Bergh
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Ro vd Bergh

Male
Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah   Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah Icon_minitimeTue 11 Oct - 4:36

Great post Randy! You've got some rep points from me. Wink

Cheers, Ro.
Back to top Go down
Michael Schmutz
Michael Schmutz

Male
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah   Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah Icon_minitimeWed 12 Oct - 1:42

Hey Randy

Thanks for your feedback. Your pictures are impressive.

For how long are you keeping Ophiophagus hannah now?
Did you raise them from hatchlings to the size of 3.81m or are they WC.?
Do you use something like a wet box where the snake can rest in a humid hideaway or just spraying before they shed?
Do you know any publication about the keeping of Ophiophagus hannah or any scientific paper on their distribution etc?

Looking forward to learn more about Ophiophagus Hannah.
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah   Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah Icon_minitimeWed 12 Oct - 5:04

I believe I bought my first O. Hannah in 2002.

I have only raised one from a hatchling, and he is almost 2 m long now. All the others I've had were 2.5 m or more.

I keep them on Cypress Mulch, and spray the mulch when they are about to shed. They also have a big water bowl that is big enough for a 4 m long King can easily soak in if they wish.

venomousreptiles.org has care sheet (articles) on many species, You can find the one for O. hannah here http://www.venomousreptiles.org/articles/125

The Terralog book "Venomous Snakes of Asia" by Gernot Vogel, has many photos of Asian venomous snakes, and show maps of the distribution of each specie, incliding O. hannah.
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomstreet.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah   Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Local coloration of Ophiophagus hannah
Page 1 of 1