VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Important decisions in Austria

Go down 
+18
Randy Ciuros
Markus Gottlieb
Jon Davidson
Klaus Roemer
Wojciech Kuklewicz
Chris Newman
Albert J. Montejo
Rainer Fesser
Jan Jonkman
Guenter Leitenbauer
Patrick Vince
Alessandro Lazzarini
Graeme Skinner
Peter Zürcher
Wolfgang Wüster
Simon Ball
Andrew Hacket
Martin Metlicka
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Martin Metlicka
Martin Metlicka

Male
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-07-21

Important decisions in Austria Empty
PostSubject: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 5:23

Hi,

the Austrian council has decided today:

Item 26: Prohibition of the sale of exotic animals at fairs (14-82): 100% agreed
Item 27: proof of expertise for exotic animal keeper (14-83): 100% agreed
Item 29: Prohibition of keeping Giant snakes and poison snakes (14-84): 100% agreed

Kind regards

Martin
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male
Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 5:28

Shocked
Back to top Go down
Martin Metlicka
Martin Metlicka

Male

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 5:43

I have forgotten to mention that they mentioned boidae meaning also ball pythons, tree pythons, boas etc.
Back to top Go down
Simon Ball
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2010-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 8:11

Even though Austria isn't my country, this is a concern for all of us. One country starts it off and others follow. Worrying.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgang Wüster
Systematicus
Systematicus

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 14:59

Is this a complete prohibition, or will there be a permit system?
Back to top Go down
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 15:13

We don't know it, Wolfgang, but i fear there won't be exceptions - at least not in the venomous section.
Maybe they will crawl back in the giant snakes section, at this time it's planned to prohibit the Boidae family generally - that will declare some ten thousands Ball Pythons as illegal.....
What they did yesterday is only the decision to create these new rules.
best regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Graeme Skinner
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Graeme Skinner

Male
Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 15:25

Very sad and worrying is this the start of the end game for many of us?
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 15:28

Isn't it funny that this whole shit has been initiated by the FPÖ (Freiheitliche Partei Österreichs = Austrian Party of Freedom!)
Tu felix Austria.
Back to top Go down
Alessandro Lazzarini

Male
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 16:47

must be very careful to parties of freedom .... in Italy the name is PDL (People of Freedom).
and a law banning "dangerous" animal is already there, but there is no law that prohibits criminals to sit in the parliament!
Back to top Go down
Patrick Vince
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2009-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 16:56

Alessandro Lazzarini wrote:
must be very careful to parties of freedom .... in Italy the name is PDL (People of Freedom).
and a law banning "dangerous" animal is already there, but there is no law that prohibits criminals to sit in the parliament!

Unfortunately, this is often the same (and a shame) case in most country in Europe, and maybe in the rest of the world too. All people are free, but some are more than others.......
R.
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 18:18

http://www.parlament.gv.at/PAKT/VHG/XXIV/A/A_01274/imfname_195623.pdf

It is a complete prohibit.
They are F****** assholes, sorry for that, but that means that my rainbow boas are illegal now. Crazy!

BTW: They except only zoos. All scientific purposes will get "some time until they have to give the snakes away"
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male
Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 18:23

Can an escaped boid survive in the wild in Austria ? If not then the ban makes no sense ?
Back to top Go down
Simon Ball
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2010-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 18:32

Andrew Hacket wrote:
Can an escaped boid survive in the wild in Austria ? If not then the ban makes no sense ?

I like your logic, Andrew, but where zealots are concerned, making sense is not important.
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 18:33

No, it is too cold.
An typical Austrian solution would be just not to talk about the illegal keepers.
Or to fund money for an euthanisation program. Just to save the poor kids in the neighbourhood from the highly dangerous Python regius, especially at election times ...
Back to top Go down
Patrick Vince
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 18:44

....now it is time ..."to live happy, live hidden"
That's what the authority always winwith that kind of sh** laws. Sad...
Back to top Go down
Patrick Vince
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 18:46

BTW, what about monitor lizards ? big or small (odatria sp) ?
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 18:51

If it would be possible to get a "license" (with exam) like for dangerous dog species (we already have this law in Austria), I could see a logic.
Back to top Go down
Martin Metlicka
Martin Metlicka

Male

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 19:15

@Günther:

Note that this was an application from one party to discuss the matter in the "health board" (Gesundheitsausschuss). It was in 2010!

On Ocotober 13, 2010 the board decided (all yes) to file the application in the National Council. This was discussed yesterday (October 19, 2011) and 100% agreed on the 3 application.

Now someone (the federal minister for health?) has to amend the related laws (TSchG) and it's bylaw. The amendment would have to pass also the National Council (again).

Kind regards

Martin
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 19:25

Quote :
BTW, what about monitor lizards

A good question indeed - reminds me on some funny rules...
The city of Vienna, per example, does prohibit the posession of all venomos snakes already for a long time. You're not allowed to have a Aspidelaps sp. or a Cryptelytrops sp., but you can have a Komodo Dragon.
So what about all these larger Varanus species, what about Crocodiles, and what about Heloderma spp. - these ain't covered with these new to create paragraphs..
Experts at work.......
Back to top Go down
Jan Jonkman
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jan Jonkman

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 20:37

It doesn't matter to them whats fair or reasonable.. it's just the message they send out to their voters. Nothing more, nothing less..

But I'm curious of one thing (To all you Austrians) ?
Was there a cause to these decisions? Any recent accidents? Or maybe a lot of stray snakes found or left abandoned or something like that?
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 21:21

Günter:I like your kind of humor as well as the ironic statements in some other posts (a law banning "dangerous" animals is already there, but there is no law that prohibits criminals to sit in the parliament).
Now I know why I don´t keep Eryx, Lichanura,… - Because I knew I would have to give them away (for getting euthanized?) if this law will come.

Just a few thoughts:
This law would lead to illegal keeping of venomous,… snakes and therefore be the best way to keeping these animals in unsafe conditions and under conditions that are unfavorable for the animals because keeping them illegally usually means keeping them under restricted conditions.

The word "freedom" in the name of that party has always been a mystery for me. Around 70 years ago we had a party in Austria and Germany trying to rule a big part of the world that used this word in a similar way. We know what that led to.

If you read the bill (Günter´s second post, only in German) and know the law cited there (several Boids and venomous snakes are listed in there) you can see that it contains the normal mixture of truth, ignorance and lies. The usual way, populist politicians act and the other members of parliament fell for their line.

Martin: You are right but the first step has been taken and it may be a matter of months, years or forever until it may or may not pass the National Council. If that question will be brought up in election campaigns no party will dare to act rationally but rather for a ratio of votes like it went in Vienna (no venomous snakes,… allowed) and Lower Austria (allowed with restrictions) many years ago.

Peter: Try and keep big Varanids, Crocodiles,… in Vienna and you´ll see what will happen.

Jan: There was an escaped Boa constrictor (mentioned in the bill brought to parliament) last year that was made a problem by media for better print runs in a time when nothing else happened. Lots of policemen,… were sent for searching the snake that was said to “be able to kill and eat cats, small dogs and even babies”. The Boa was finally found inside the appartment of the owner, it was much smaller than published at that time and very much smaller than written in that bill.

Graeme: You know we recently had the same problem (deriving from the Boa-story mentioned above) in the part of Austria where I live. I could, at least for the moment, gain time also with help of the information you gave me about regulations in GB, though the problem isn´t solved yet. This new federal law would solve our local problem by bringing the same problem on a bigger scale.

Best regards,
Rainer
Back to top Go down
Wolfgang Wüster
Systematicus
Systematicus

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 21:29

It is sad that common sense plays no role in these kinds of decisions. Unless you define "common sense" as the readers' comments in the Bild Zeitung, Daily Fail or Faux News....
Back to top Go down
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 21:33

Of course there have been problems in the past like an escaped Ball Python here and a released Burmese Python there - but the cause triggering off the "Boidae-decision" has been an escaped Boa constrictor one year ago. It was quite a biggie, measuring almost 3 meters, and escaped from it's terrarium, but did not go out of the appartement. Many people (police, fire brigade, snake experts) searched for her a couple of days in the neighborhood, of course with no success. Amanda was finally found behind a cupboard in it's owners appartement digesting a rabbit which was fed to her right before her escape.
regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 21:35

Currency in politics is votes not common sense - that´s the problem for people who have common sense.
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 21:59

In Austria we have a word called "Stimmvieh" - I'll try to translate, but it is difficult, maybe "voting cattle" would fit best. It is used for the stupid mass which can easily be influenced (at least they think so - I don't!) with simple appeals to basic instincts ("Save our children!").

I wonder who should elect them in the future when they tend to forbid keeping of animals. Reptiles first, then maybe dogs, cats and at last they will prohibit the cattle (we had incidents where cows attacked tourists, yes!) and finally Parkinson's law will take away the win!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Important decisions in Austria   Important decisions in Austria Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Important decisions in Austria
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next