VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Informative site

Go down 
+2
Jon Davidson
Udo Schutte
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Udo Schutte
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Udo Schutte

Male
Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2011-01-19

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitimeTue 25 Oct - 19:42

A friend of mine made a nice looking site about The kings he and a few of his friends keep. Some nice info about these majestic animals and he will try to update a blog regularly.

Informative site Banner6
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=684646026
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Re: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitimeTue 25 Oct - 21:37

Udo Schutte wrote:
'A friend of mine made a nice looking site...'
Is that Mr. Richard Mastenbroek in some of the photographs? Just wondering... Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Jeremy Irwin
Jeremy Irwin

Male
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-10-15

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Re: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitimeTue 25 Oct - 21:53

The pictures say all that needs to be said.

Last edited by Jeremy Irwin on Wed 26 Oct - 2:37; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Re: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitimeTue 25 Oct - 22:24

Jeremy Irwin wrote:
This picture says it all!!!

Here's a link to a previous discussion on this site: http://www.venomland.net/t3831-thoughts-about-handling . The conduct depicted in the video that was posted and then subsequently removed in this Thread defied all reason. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Udo Schutte
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Udo Schutte

Male
Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2011-01-19

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Re: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitimeTue 25 Oct - 22:48

Yes it is, Jon. I didn't post this here to bring up a discussion about the way he handles snakes. I posted it because I think there's a nice piece of information and some nice pictures on that site.
He will try to update the blog as often as he can and in my opinion it's nice to read his passionate story.

To answer a question I read in one of the linked discussions; No, he doesn't encourage freehandling to anyone. I use hooks to handle my animals and i've learned a few things about handling Elapids from Richard. He specificly told me not to freehandle, because it's very dangerous. It's just the way he feels most comfortable with these animals.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=684646026
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Re: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitimeTue 25 Oct - 23:03

Udo Schutte wrote:

To answer a question I read in one of the linked discussions; No, he doesn't encourage freehandling to anyone. I use hooks to handle my animals and i've learned a few things about handling Elapids from Richard. He specificly told me not to freehandle, because it's very dangerous. It's just the way he feels most comfortable with these animals.

Thank you for your clarification, Mr. Schutte. Clearly there are some inconsistencies between what Mr. Mastenbroek says and what he does. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Re: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitimeTue 25 Oct - 23:11

Thanks for posting the link! I must say the page is well done, i specificly like the report on how to raise baby hannahs. Regarding that there is not much information on the web... Id like to read more about the captive care of king cobras, so i hope the page will be frequently updated!

Concerning Richards way of handling snakes - and posting such photos on the web i fell quite unwell. But we had this discussion before...

I think it would be best to not show freehandling on ophiophagus.nl, so that people are more discussing about the captive care of ophiophagus, and less about certain handling techniques.

Cheers,
Christoph

Back to top Go down
Mark Dainty

Male
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-05-19

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Re: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitimeTue 25 Oct - 23:27

Hi all, yes this discussion has been had many times before. As for the website Richard is trying to collect and publish as much info on kings as possible i.e helping king cobras and their keepers all over the world, why use it as an excuse to "have a go".

Also, publishing pics of people without their permission on here is not allowed, not that im bothered as i can back up how I handle and will be in articles for the website soon. I dont free handle any species apart from 5 foot+ kings. This is for good reason (although not for everyone) If you dont know these reasons you obviously dont have extensive experience withKings, if any!!!

Smile
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Re: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitimeTue 25 Oct - 23:30

Christoph Denk wrote:
Thanks for posting the link! I must say the page is well done, i specificly like the report on how to raise baby hannahs. Regarding that there is not much information on the web... Id like to read more about the captive care of king cobras, so i hope the page will be frequently updated!

Concerning Richards way of handling snakes - and posting such photos on the web i fell quite unwell. But we had this discussion before...

I think it would be best to not show freehandling on ophiophagus.nl, so that people are more discussing about the captive care of ophiophagus, and less about certain handling techniques.

Cheers,
Christoph

So... the credibility of the author of the information that you seek is not a concern for you, Mr. Denk? Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Re: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitimeTue 25 Oct - 23:39

Mr. Davidson,

without doubt all sources of information should be questioned, not only on snake forums but also when watching for example FO* news or reading certain daily papers Laughing

As far as i know Richard Mastebroek has sucessfully raised a baby king - which gives his writeup all the credibility i need. This is completely independent from liking or disliking certain handling techniques, etc.

All the best,
Christoph
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Re: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitimeTue 25 Oct - 23:48

Christoph Denk wrote:

'without doubt all sources of information should be questioned...'

'As far as i know Richard Mastebroek has sucessfully raised a baby king...'

As far as you know being the critical point in this discussion. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Re: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitimeTue 25 Oct - 23:52

Mark Dainty wrote:
'I dont free handle any species apart from 5 foot+ kings. This is for good reason (although not for everyone) If you dont know these reasons you obviously dont have extensive experience withKings, if any!!!'

Perhaps you could explain for us, Mr. Dainty- based on your 'extensive experience'- what reason you have for free handling five foot plus sized King Cobras? Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Mark Dainty

Male

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Re: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitimeWed 26 Oct - 0:15

Large Kings with heavy bodies react badly to being sat on a thin piece of metal pushing against their organs, therefore having a more aggressive, faster moving harder to handle snake.

Also remember there is always a second experienced handler who will keep the cobras attention, plus a gloved hand can be used to push or redirect a king when or if it turns, grabs are always at the ready for emergency and hooks used to position the snakes body before picking it up. So i dont see it has exactly free handling i.e picking a venomous snake up with no protection and letting it go where it desires. There is a marked difference.

Also remember when pioneers to King handling like Grace Wiley and the great Bill Haast mastered handling in this way they were not attacked like what seems to happen now. I personally dont like using grabs as an every day handling technique, some people do, i'm not going to start discrediting them for it. Handling is a personal choice and as the handler you are the one at risk and therefore should handle your prefered way not in a way that pleases everyone else.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Re: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitimeWed 26 Oct - 0:27

http://ophiophagus.nl/?attachment_id=882

Are these pictures really necessary to spread serious informations about Ophiophagus?

I think the site, which is just started, but well done so far, doesn't need that.

I see a disaccord between this picture i posted here (only a link!) and the site-owner's conclusion "freehandling is dangerous" (as stated here) as well as the fact that the site-owner reported a bite through these gloves by a Naja kaouthia one year ago.

regards
Peter

Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Re: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitimeWed 26 Oct - 0:37

Quote :

Also remember when pioneers to King handling like Grace Wiley and the great Bill Haast mastered handling in this way they were not attacked like what seems to happen now.

That might be right, but Mrs. Wiley died from a cobra bite, and - more important, wether Mrs. Wiley nor Mr. Haast have done their "thing" nowadays when the whole venomous community is increasingly under observation and pressure by public and authorities.
regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Re: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitimeWed 26 Oct - 0:54

Mark Dainty wrote:
Large Kings with heavy bodies react badly to being sat on a thin piece of metal pushing against their organs, therefore having a more aggressive, faster moving harder to handle snake.

Also remember there is always a second experienced handler who will keep the cobras attention, plus a gloved hand can be used to push or redirect a king when or if it turns, grabs are always at the ready for emergency and hooks used to position the snakes body before picking it up. So i dont see it has exactly free handling i.e picking a venomous snake up with no protection and letting it go where it desires. There is a marked difference.

Also remember when pioneers to King handling like Grace Wiley and the great Bill Haast mastered handling in this way they were not attacked like what seems to happen now. I personally dont like using grabs as an every day handling technique, some people do, i'm not going to start discrediting them for it. Handling is a personal choice and as the handler you are the one at risk and therefore should handle your prefered way not in a way that pleases everyone else.

Thanks
Thank you for clarifying the 'marked difference' in the methodology you have outlined here and your earlier comments of: 'I don't free handle any species apart from 5 foot+ kings'. Please note that Ms. Grace Olive Wiley was killed by a cobra that she was free handling and Mr. Bill Haast had venom research as his pretext for free handling live venomous snakes. As Mr. Zurcher has noted, times change and the whole concept of the private ownership of live venomous snakes is under greater scrutiny by legislators who may very well ask the same kinds of questions that have been asked in this and the accompanying discussions. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Mark Dainty

Male

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Re: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitimeWed 26 Oct - 2:28

Everyones entitle to their opinion, im definately not going to change mine. I've discussed this time and time again so I wish to leave it here. I can not give up enough of my time to keep checking back here, i rarely come on here due to this. I do apreciate your points though. 1 last point, Grace Wiley was not killed by a King but a Common Cobra, as i said said i feel hook and tail is needed for these compared to kings.

OK 2 points Smile remember people have been bitten when using "conventional" handling methods too. An occupational hazard that however we look at it will always remain when handling venomous snakes.

Thank you for the discussion

Mark
Back to top Go down
Hans Bergman
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Hans Bergman

Male
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2011-04-07

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Re: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitimeWed 26 Oct - 2:34

I think the site looks very good and i dont have found any other site like this before.
I only have a little experience of kings myself and i think they are much different with behavior from other cobras.

Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Re: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitimeWed 26 Oct - 5:37

Mark Dainty wrote:
Everyones entitle to their opinion, im definately not going to change mine. I've discussed this time and time again so I wish to leave it here. I can not give up enough of my time to keep checking back here, i rarely come on here due to this. I do apreciate your points though. 1 last point, Grace Wiley was not killed by a King but a Common Cobra, as i said said i feel hook and tail is needed for these compared to kings.

OK 2 points Smile remember people have been bitten when using "conventional" handling methods too. An occupational hazard that however we look at it will always remain when handling venomous snakes.

Thank you for the discussion

Mark
You certainly seem anxious for a discussion here, otherwise you wouldn't keep coming back to post on the Thread. The most pertinent question with regard to this Ophiophagus.nl site remains unanswered, and that is: What is the purpose of free handling a live venomous snake? What is it exactly that the keeper is doing that requires them to pick up a live venomous snake with their bare hands? Here is a quote form this site: 'Ophiophagus.nl will show picture(sic)of people free-handling King Cobras with or without Hexarmor gloves. We show this pictures(sic)only when the King Cobra in the picture is valuable for the information in the written article(sic). Ophiophagus.nl will not support or stimulate any kind of free-handling with King Cobras, neither they will explain(sic) how the techniques work with free-handling'. Maybe this is a case of do what I say and not what I do? Perhaps the owner of Ophiophagus.nl will explain for us all the 'valuable information' that we might be enlightened with by free handling a live venomous snake? Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Informative site Empty
PostSubject: Re: Informative site   Informative site Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Informative site
Page 1 of 1