VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding

Go down 
+16
Flandroit Patrik
Omar Abraham Nelo
Jamie Osburn
Peter Zürcher
Michael Burmeister
Benjamin Tull
Jon Davidson
Stefan Anthonijsz
Albert J. Montejo
Gustav Eloy
Klaus Roemer
Stefan Wennekes
Albert Gracer
Sebastian Arvidsson
Peter Pastor
Frank Weinsheimer
20 posters
AuthorMessage
Frank Weinsheimer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Frank Weinsheimer

Male
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-04-20

Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Empty
PostSubject: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeWed 4 Jan - 21:48

Hello everybody!

This year seems to be a good year for me. At the 02.01.2012 one of my female Dendroaspis j. jamesoni made me a gift of four good and two unfertilized eggs! If the eggs will hatch this PROBABLY could be the first real captive breeding success ever with this species to my knowledge! If anyone knows anything different please feel free to share your knowledge.

One of my pairs. Both have the same length, but you can easily recognize the more massive head of the female below and the narrow head of the male above:

Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Img_6610

The facts: I currently keep a group of 3.3 adult Jamesons Mambas which are all WC´10/WC´11 from Cameroon and between 1.6-1.8m in length. The first animals consisting of 3.1 I got August 2010. They were quarantined for two month in which all of them defecated the remaining feathers of eaten small birds. To prevent the risk of bringing mites into my snakeroom, all were treated several times with Dichlorphos (although I didn´t find a single mite, but I´m maybe a little bit paranoid) and aganist helminths and other parasitic worms they were treated twice with Ivomec. During the quarantine time, two of the animals started to feed on dead mice, the others refused to feed. I didn´t try any birds, which might have made the others to feed as well. After quarantine I put a group of two adult males and one adult female together in a cage of 1,75 x 1,2 x 1,1 m. One male was semiadult when I got him, but grew from around 1,0 m to 1,6 m within one year. This male I kept separated from the others. I misted the animals five times a week and shortly after keeping them together one of the males showed strong mating behaviour with comment combat (which the other male wasn´t interested in at all). At the beginning of Oktober 2010 (I don´t know the exact date, I wrote it down somewhere), this male mated with the female, which was pretty thin at that time and I didn´t expect anything to come out of it. To my surprise the female started to sun bask more than the other animals, fed well and also became thicker in the lower part of the body. This resulted in two bad eggs which I found at the 20.11.2011 (one year later!!!). Not the success I wished.
In August 2011, I got two more adult females, which (after quarantine) I keep together in a cage of 1.5 x 1.2 x 0.7 m.

This is the cage in August 2011:

Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Img_6510

The same cage in December 2011, the plants already grew pretty well:

Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Img_7710

At the beginning of October 2011 the same male as the year before started to show mating behaviour with the same female as the year before, but I couldn´t observe any copulation. The mating behaviour of this male increased when the other male in the cage shed in the middle of October and comment combat behaviour could be observed by the same male as the year before, but still the other male wasn´t interested in comment combat at all. As I couldn´t observe any copulation I decided to introduce one of the new females into the cage, which was in pretty good shape. I was very happy to observe the coputation with this female at the 29.11.2011 from 20.00-22.10 o´clock.

Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Img_8010

Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Img_8011

The female started to bask a lot more than the other animals, which made me hope for more. As the cages are well-planted with a lot of possible suitable egglaying places and the danger of the other animals disturbing the pregnant female while egg laying, I decided to put her in a separate cage with a box filled with moist coconut substrate for the eggs.

To my big happiness I found this at the 02.01.2012:

Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Img_8210

I´m very proud of the female, the clutch consists of four good eggs and two unfertilized eggs. The good eggs have an average size of 59 mm x 28 mm, the smaller bad eggs of 36 mm x 20 mm.

Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Img_8310

I incubate the eggs at around 28,5 °C on Vermiculite. Now the waiting begins!

Some additional notes:

Dendroaspis j. jamesoni seems to be quite dependent on high air humidity. Low humidity during the wet season results in a much lower activity of my animals and a higher hiding behaviour with laying on the ground. With water spraying the animals immidiately start to climb around, show an agility not visible in animals kept too dry and spend most of the time laying or crawling through the branches. When imitating the dry seasons, which is also the coolest time of the year in their distribution area, they seem to prefer the heating spots on the branches, although the humidity is quite low during that time.

I heard an anecdotical report from one private zoo in Germany, which keeps Dendroaspis j. jamesoni since many years, that they got two clutches from their animals some years ago, but none of the eggs hatch because of an unusual thickness of the egg shell. The animal keeper thought, that it might have something to do with the wrong food (mice in captivity vs. birds in nature). The egg shell of the eggs I got from my female seems to be normally thick although she got only mice and rats for food, but I keep my fingers crossed.

Finally I can just say, that these animals are one of the most beautiful snakes in my eyes and watching their active behaviour can easily fill whole evenings.

Enjoy!

Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Img_8110

Best regards

Frank
Back to top Go down
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeWed 4 Jan - 23:00

Congratulation, Frank! Really nice result. I know how you feel now... Very nice!

We were lucky too to get nice group from this species last year, so I hope we will follow your result soon also with this species. In the meanwhile we are more as happy with 2 clutches of Dendroaspis jamesoni kaimosae, from first of which 7 nice healthy babies hatched (from 9 eggs) few days before end of last year. Second clutch needs approx. 6-7 more weeks yet, but I hope in the same result as with first one. May we wish all 11 babies hatch... Embarassed

I love Dendroaspis jamesoni jamesoni a lot too, and am more as happy we got it into hands finally. It wasn`t easy at all.

One more time, congratulation and the very best luck with hatching of babies. I think at the end of March we can expect an update from you Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sebastian Arvidsson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sebastian Arvidsson

Male
Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2011-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeThu 5 Jan - 0:27

congratz ! very nice mambas you got there! hope they hatch with good results Smile

best regards
Back to top Go down
Albert Gracer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Albert Gracer

Male
Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeThu 5 Jan - 4:02

Well, these are some nice news and a good start of the new year and I can only say congratulations cheers and I hope that the young mambas hatched in the near future.

You have also a nice terrarium for them Very Happy
Nice pics as well and again congratz.

Good luck with them Wink

Cheers,
Albert.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stalgo-exotic.com
Stefan Wennekes
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Stefan Wennekes

Male
Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2009-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeThu 5 Jan - 4:56

Congratulations on this special breeding Frank.
Very nice.
I can also appriciate the great discription very much. Thank you for that.
This is what fora are for.

Good luck with the incubation. Hope all goed well and you should have some nice young in the future.

Best regards
Back to top Go down
http://www.oldworldophidia.com/indexeng.html
Frank Weinsheimer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Frank Weinsheimer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeThu 5 Jan - 16:36

@ All: Thanks a lot for the congrats. Still the breeding success is not completed until the juveniles hatch, but a big part is done yet. I will let you know as soon as the first hatchling might pip the egg.

@Peter: Big Congratulations for your breeding success with Dendroaspis jamesoni kaimosae, this subspecies is still very seldom bred and in fact you are only the third person I ever heard of breeding these animals. Very nice result! If you find the time, it would be nice to see a breeding report from you.

Best regards

Frank
Back to top Go down
Klaus Roemer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeSat 7 Jan - 3:53

Frank, congratualtions and all the best with the eggs. A few years ago I got offered juvies of D.f.f. from a German guy associated with a reptile zoo that reportedly were captive breds, but unconfirmed. Anyway, good ones are difficult to get on the market, so all best wishes for yours.

Klaus
Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male
Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeSun 4 Mar - 7:09

very beautiful greens, do you have babys allready??
best of luck
Back to top Go down
Frank Weinsheimer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Frank Weinsheimer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar - 2:02

Hello!

Today is a good day... The Jamesons Mambas start to hatch! I will post pictures soon.

@ Klaus: I spoke to the same guy. He told me they offered the juveniles when the eggs were laid by the female, but unfortunately the eggs never hatched out.

Best regards

FRank
Back to top Go down
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar - 2:50

Congratulation, Frank!
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2011-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar - 2:56

Frank, ditto Peter i admire your work with large Elaps.
Congratulation's you have a lot of "Backbone".

Al.
Back to top Go down
Stefan Anthonijsz
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Stefan Anthonijsz

Male
Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2009-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar - 8:56

Great job Frank!
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar - 11:19

Frank Weinsheimer wrote:

'Today is a good day... The Jamesons Mambas start to hatch! I will post pictures soon'.

Congratulations, Mr. Weinsheimer(!). Looking forward to seeing more photographs and reading additional reports- and Thank you for posting such an excellent photo-essay/article on the site. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Sebastian Arvidsson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sebastian Arvidsson

Male
Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2011-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar - 17:12

good news frank! Congratz! keep us updated with pics when the youngsters come out Smile
Back to top Go down
Frank Weinsheimer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Frank Weinsheimer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeThu 29 Mar - 2:57

Thanks to all of you for the congrats, I feel really happy right now.

Some facts: The incubation until pipping the first egg took 87 days at around 28.5 °C and during that time the eggs grew from a mean size of 59 mm x 28 mm to a mean size of 60 mm x 35 mm. Of the four good looking eggs from the beginning three survived, with one breaking down at around the 30th day of incubation. After approximately two weeks of incubation I candled the eggs. All of them showed developement and blood vessels were clearly visible, with exception of the egg which broke down soon after. Therefore I assume it was unfertilized or the embryo died shortly after egg laying.
Anyway, three remaining eggs are better than nothing and yesterday I was were happy to find this situation:

Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Img_8410

I had to wait until today in the morning till the first animal left the egg, and during the night the second egg was pipped by the second hatchling. The third egg is still waiting but should be pipped within the next few hours. I didn´t measure and weight the first juvenile yet, but I was surprised by the size of it, approximately 45 cm. I can only speculate on the sex of it yet, but I assume it is a male. Exact data will follow soon. For first I proudly present the WORLDS FIRST REALLY CAPTIVE BRED DENDROASPIS JAMESONI JAMESONI EVER (to my knowledge!)!!! Enjoy!

Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Img_8411

Best regards

Frank
Back to top Go down
Benjamin Tull
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeThu 29 Mar - 4:22

Frank Weinsheimer wrote:
For first I proudly present the WORLDS FIRST REALLY CAPTIVE BRED DENDROASPIS JAMESONI JAMESONI EVER (to my knowledge!)!!!

Hi Frank,
congrats! The first breeding isn´t the trueth, sorry. I have bred this species for six years ago, never heard for another breeding since all the time...
Regards
Benjamin
Back to top Go down
Michael Burmeister
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2010-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeThu 29 Mar - 15:41

What a stunning snakes! Thank you for the very informative report and congratulations on the very good work.
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeThu 29 Mar - 15:50

Quote :
I have bred this species for six years ago, never heard for another breeding since all the time...

Benjamin,
I have knowledge of at least three people who suuccessfully bred this species.
Frank is reporting here the first (?) breeding of the nominotype (subspecies jamesoni).

Do you have a breeding report or at least some pictures of your offspring?

regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Jamie Osburn
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeFri 30 Mar - 0:33

Awesome! Congrats, man! It's definitely the first time I've ever heard of anyone breeding D. jamesoni jamesoni.

-Jamie
Back to top Go down
Omar Abraham Nelo
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Omar Abraham Nelo

Male
Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeSat 31 Mar - 1:06

congrat!!! very nice job!!!!
Back to top Go down
Flandroit Patrik
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Flandroit Patrik

Male
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeSat 31 Mar - 14:07

Congrat !!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.snakevipera-reptiles.com
Jorg Schenkels
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jorg Schenkels

Male
Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeSat 31 Mar - 19:18

congrats man they are stunners..
Back to top Go down
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male
Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeFri 6 Apr - 17:45

Congratulations Frank!
Gorgeous little snakes.
Besides D. viridis, those are the nicest mamba's in my opinion!

Good luck raising them.

Cheers,
Harold
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomenal.com
Daniel Liepack
Daniel Liepack

Male
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jun - 17:55

Hello Frank,

Congratulations!
Absolutely beautiful hatchlings. Wink

Daniel
Back to top Go down
http://www.atheris.de
Scott Eipper
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitimeFri 23 Sep - 14:35

Hey Frank,

Stunning babies!

Cheers
Scott
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding   Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dendroaspis j. jamesoni breeding
Page 1 of 1