VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Clelia bicolor

Go down 
+3
Arjan Huitsing
Michael Burger
Alasdair McMillan
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Alasdair McMillan

Male
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Clelia bicolor Empty
PostSubject: Clelia bicolor   Clelia bicolor Icon_minitimeTue 21 Feb - 7:34

Hi, I wanted to make my first proper forum post a nice one, and I would love to hear if anyone has experience with this species either in the field or captivity.
Clelia bicolor DSC_0368
Clelia bicolor DSC_0447

Cheers

Al
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2011-06-19

Clelia bicolor Empty
PostSubject: clelia   Clelia bicolor Icon_minitimeWed 22 Feb - 7:25

Al

Nice snake. I have not had experience with this species but have some with Clelia occipitolutea (=Boiruna maculata), Clelia clelia, and know people who have kept Clelia rustica. Both C. occipitolutea and rustica were easy to maintain as they would accept mice and both have been reproduced in captivity with regularity, however, C. clelia is problematic in that most will only accept snakes as food and may attempt to eat each other when kept together. It looks as though your C. bicolor eat mice - which is a good sign. It appears that it is a rather small snake - was it hatched from eggs laid in captivity?

Thanks for posting on a rarely seen snake (at least in the U.S.)!

Michael
Back to top Go down
Alasdair McMillan

Male

Clelia bicolor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clelia bicolor   Clelia bicolor Icon_minitimeWed 22 Feb - 9:31

Hi Michael, I am aware of and envious of your Boiruna/Clelia. Smile I also had one maculata, but it was a sick animal and died shortly after arriving Crying or Very sad

This is a young animal for certain although it's origins are unknown, however I do believe it is WC. Bought at Hamm last year. It started well on pinkies and fluffs, but has fasted for a long time, and has only recently started feeding again, but only on snakes, so there is much work to do. I would love C.rustica but they appear to be very seldom seen in captivity at least in the UK.

From the information I've found, this species is the smallest Clelia only reaches about 1m in length so it has some growing still to do, but nothing like the size of the others in the genus. Any tips on juvenile Boiruna/Clelia husbandry would be appreciated, I currently keep it according to the average temperature range for the area the species is found, in a naturally planted vivarium,(28/24 Day/night ambient, 60-80% humidity) and it appears happy enough but any extra husbandry information is always gratefully received.

Cheers

Al
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male

Clelia bicolor Empty
PostSubject: Clelia   Clelia bicolor Icon_minitimeThu 23 Feb - 8:51

The Boiruna that I have had were pretty straight forward aniimals once they began feeding on rodents. Most had to be started on anolis lizards and eventually switched over to dead pinks left in their cages overnight. You might want to try to scent pink mice w/snake scent by rubbing them with the snake -or- take a piece of wet shed snake skin and put it onto a pink. C. clelia on the other hand are very difficult- I had a friend who hatched a couple dozen eggs and could not get the babies started on anything but snakes- that's not to say some can't be switched over, but it appears to be very difficult. All clelia appear to love to soak in water - so an ample sized water bowl is a good thing (I've caught C. clelia in very swampy conditions in Costa Rica). By the way, there is an article in the last "Herp Nation" (U.S. magazine) on Boiruna maculata.

Goof Luck!

Michael
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male

Clelia bicolor Empty
PostSubject: Clelia   Clelia bicolor Icon_minitimeThu 23 Feb - 8:55

Actually mean't to say "Good Luck!"

Michael
Back to top Go down
Arjan Huitsing
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Arjan Huitsing

Male
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-02-01

Clelia bicolor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clelia bicolor   Clelia bicolor Icon_minitimeFri 24 Feb - 2:02

stunning looking snake!! very nice..
Back to top Go down
http://www.terrestrialsnakes.com
Alasdair McMillan

Male

Clelia bicolor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clelia bicolor   Clelia bicolor Icon_minitimeFri 24 Feb - 4:52

Thanks for the info and the compliments! I think this is a really cool animal too Smile and I think I prefer "goof" luck, more my style Wink
Origin is Uruguay/Paraguay apparently, so I'm not making assumptions about it's preferred temps and humidity, but "guesstimating", which is ok but not ideal. It doesn't seem to be fossorial, tends to be crepuscular, not active past 10pm, and while I have seen it climbing, it tends to patrol the ground more. I've seen one picture of the species eating chicks in the wild but other than that, nada.
I have never witnesses it soaking or drinking, however I do tend to look but rarely touch to avoid stressing it out, it hasn't shown any sort of defensive or aggressive behaviour but the feeding response is off the charts. Strikes incredibly fast and is the best constrictor I've seen by quite some way. It is very shy though and doesn't want to challenge or inspect the keeper, at least not yet Smile

Hoping to find another to pair up, but not even sexed this one yet, quite happy to wait a while, and if I end up with two males or females i won't be upset, more the merrier! Thanks for looking

Al
Back to top Go down
Alasdair McMillan

Male

Clelia bicolor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clelia bicolor   Clelia bicolor Icon_minitimeFri 24 Feb - 4:56

I'm in a sharing mood Smile
Clelia bicolor Resizeclelia2

Al
Back to top Go down
Jan Jonkman
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jan Jonkman

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2010-10-28

Clelia bicolor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clelia bicolor   Clelia bicolor Icon_minitimeFri 24 Feb - 20:03

Alasdair McMillan wrote:
I'm in a sharing mood Smile

Very very nice... Shocked

When you complete your pair and you have some offspring, give me a call Cool
Back to top Go down
Bostjan Kraner
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Bostjan Kraner

Male
Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2010-03-14

Clelia bicolor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clelia bicolor   Clelia bicolor Icon_minitimeMon 27 Feb - 6:04

Very nice and rare snake. On my wishlist. Good luck with her!

Best regards, BKK
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

Clelia bicolor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clelia bicolor   Clelia bicolor Icon_minitimeMon 27 Feb - 16:21

Nice genus! Saw the classified for Hamm, there was sold several specimens ...
Did the guy gave you papers / cites for the snake?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Alasdair McMillan

Male

Clelia bicolor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clelia bicolor   Clelia bicolor Icon_minitimeMon 27 Feb - 19:07

Hi Fabian, no paperwork required, it isn't a CITES restricted species, Clelia clelia is appendix II Clelia bicolor is not listed on CITES.

"Mussurana bicolor has been assessed as Least Concern. Despite reports that this species is rare in nature, it has a relatively broad distribution and there are no reports of this species suffering any significant population declines at present. The typical habitat, Chaco and Pantanal lowlands and wetlands, are relatively restrictive to agriculture and habitat conversion, and thus remain relatively pristine. This species is likely to be impacted due to habitat degradation, however, this is a localized threat only. Further research and monitoring of this species should be carried out in order to determine if it is likely to be impacted by any major threat in the future" - from IUCN red list

Cheers

Al
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

Clelia bicolor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clelia bicolor   Clelia bicolor Icon_minitimeMon 27 Feb - 21:19

Thx for your reply Al.
That makes it quite easier...

cheers Fabian
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Tommy Brav
Tommy Brav

Male
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-11-08

Clelia bicolor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clelia bicolor   Clelia bicolor Icon_minitimeSun 26 Aug - 1:35

Hello!
Although this is an old thread maybe somebody will read it as I do.
I have some experience of C. rustica. A couple of years ago I bought two hatchlings from two guys from Uruguay visiting Sweden. They, the snakes, did feed on pinkies from the very beginning, grow very fast and turned over to bigger mice without any hesitations. Feeding straight forward, never refused a meal. Not very colourful species but despite that very attractive.
Back to top Go down
Tommy Brav
Tommy Brav

Male
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-11-08

Clelia bicolor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clelia bicolor   Clelia bicolor Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep - 15:46

Hello,
Now I'm the happy owner of 2.3 juvenile Clelia rustica! Smile
Regards
Back to top Go down
Alasdair McMillan

Male

Clelia bicolor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clelia bicolor   Clelia bicolor Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep - 16:00

Well done! I look forward to the photos and the updates.

Congratulations

Al
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Clelia bicolor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clelia bicolor   Clelia bicolor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clelia bicolor
Page 1 of 1