VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus

Go down 
+2
Peter van Issem
Tommy Brav
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tommy Brav
Tommy Brav

Male
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-11-08

Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus Empty
PostSubject: Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus   Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus Icon_minitimeSat 17 Mar - 2:24

Hello,
I achieved two juvenile A. rugosus a week ago. The male fed on a pinky after two days, but the female refuses.
What tricks do you have to get this species feed. It isn't my highest wish to forcefeed this species Wink
Could scenting with frog be a good way of trying?
Regards,
Tommy
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus   Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus Icon_minitimeSat 17 Mar - 2:41

Hi Tommy,

mabye the are so smal that they can only feed very smal mices? In case that they are fresh offsprings you can better use only the parts from baby mices, I use the head (for A. laevis & A. rugosus).
Sometimes they don´t like complete mices. A part, that is not bigger than the head of the snake works sometimes very good!
Back to top Go down
Tommy Brav
Tommy Brav

Male

PostSubject: Re: Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus   Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus Icon_minitimeSat 17 Mar - 2:53

Thanks Peter,
I will try that tomorrow when I havn't drunken wine Very Happy
Venomous and wine doesn't fit together for sure!
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus   Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus Icon_minitimeSat 17 Mar - 4:01

Ok Tommy,
that sounds very reasonable to me!
Back to top Go down
Daniel Kleinen

Male
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus   Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus Icon_minitimeSat 17 Mar - 4:57

i had buy a pair last week too... by me only the female eats at second day Wink but i think male will sheed in a few days....
Back to top Go down
Tommy Brav
Tommy Brav

Male

PostSubject: Re: Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus   Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus Icon_minitimeSat 17 Mar - 6:09

Daniel,
Maybe your snakes are Czech as mine are? Bought in Hamm?
Back to top Go down
Daniel Kleinen

Male

PostSubject: Re: Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus   Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus Icon_minitimeSat 17 Mar - 6:32

yes from stanislav
Back to top Go down
Tommy Brav
Tommy Brav

Male

PostSubject: Re: Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus   Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus Icon_minitimeSat 17 Mar - 6:45

Yes, I thought so. That's keep in contact to share feeding tricks, right?
Back to top Go down
Daniel Kleinen

Male

PostSubject: Re: Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus   Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus Icon_minitimeSat 17 Mar - 6:55

yes
Back to top Go down
Franck Radnai
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Franck Radnai

Male
Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus   Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus Icon_minitimeSat 17 Mar - 8:10

Hello, if you have not other solution that forcefeed, use a product of royal canin (i will confirm you tomorrow ) with a probe. The results are very good and it is a very very good solution to help young snakes to start. Good night. Franck
Back to top Go down
http://code.google.com/p/bioduino/
Tommy Brav
Tommy Brav

Male

PostSubject: Re: Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus   Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus Icon_minitimeSat 17 Mar - 8:29

Daniel,
Sorry, I'm not a friend of Facebook. Call me at tommy@exoticherps.com

Franck,
Thanks for your suggestion. But I prefer to forcefeed natural food like, in this case, pinky head. But I would like not since Acantophis are extremely venomous. Otherwise I don't hesitate to force feed hots, but Acantophis are quite unpredictable.
Back to top Go down
Franck Radnai
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Franck Radnai

Male
Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus   Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus Icon_minitimeSat 17 Mar - 17:21

Hello Tommy,
I understand very well your hesitation, venomous snakes are not easy as others for forcefeeding. But if you are interested, this product gives very very good results and permits to start young animals very well. A veterinary who is a friend do it for his animals and the young which are started by this have a better growth than the other for the same age. The product in question is 'Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Feline (Recovery diet)' in pack of 100g and cost around 13 €. You add a very few quantity of water, and possible to use probe to forcefeed.
Hope you will arrive with your animals, have a nice week end
Franck
Back to top Go down
http://code.google.com/p/bioduino/
Tommy Brav
Tommy Brav

Male

PostSubject: Re: Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus   Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus Icon_minitimeSat 17 Mar - 17:31

Thanks Franck for your very kind suggestion. I'll keep it in mind. Forcefeeding a fluidlike object won't of course stress the animal as much as forcing a pinky down the throat.
Back to top Go down
Klaus Roemer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus   Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus Icon_minitimeSat 17 Mar - 19:28

We've kept and bred rugosus for many years in a row. Although about two thirds of the youngsters initially refuse to eat, I think there is no need to forcefeed; a little patience will do. Just take a dead pinky with forceps and gently tap the snake on the back. This almost alway induces a bite. If the snake holds on, leave it alone. Even some weeks without food will not harm them.
Back to top Go down
Tommy Brav
Tommy Brav

Male

PostSubject: Re: Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus   Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus Icon_minitimeThu 22 Mar - 7:07

Klaus,
Your suggestion was a hit! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Nigel Sowter
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2010-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus   Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus Icon_minitimeSat 28 Apr - 22:42

[quote="Klaus Roemer"] Just take a dead pinky with forceps and gently tap the snake on the back. This almost alway induces a bite. If the snake holds on, leave it alone.

As Klaus Roemer quoted this also has worked for me. "stirring" them up will almost always get a response.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus   Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feeding juvenile Acantophis rugosus
Page 1 of 1