VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Bothriechis schlegelii feeding/defecation cycle?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Helen Houghton
Helen Houghton

Female
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-11-18

Bothriechis schlegelii  feeding/defecation cycle? Empty
PostSubject: Bothriechis schlegelii feeding/defecation cycle?   Bothriechis schlegelii  feeding/defecation cycle? Icon_minitimeWed 11 Apr - 6:15

Hi guys and girls,

Ive had my schlegelii for just under a month now, and he is feeding for me very well (which is great!) However, he has now had three decent feeds - but no defecation.

He doesn't look particularly 'full', but I am concerned about feeding him again without a defecation.

Is this normal?

He drinks daily from spray on his coils, so I'm sure he is well hydrated! He is approximately 18 months old, and is being fed once every 7-10 days.

If this is normal schleg behaviour i'll leave him to it and carry on feeding as normal Smile I'd appreciate anyones experience in this matter to give me some peace of mind!

Heres a couple of pics of the little guy in question I love you

Bothriechis schlegelii  feeding/defecation cycle? IMG_0539

Bothriechis schlegelii  feeding/defecation cycle? IMG_0512

Bothriechis schlegelii  feeding/defecation cycle? IMG_0534

Thank you,

Helen
Back to top Go down
Bob Herrington
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii feeding/defecation cycle?   Bothriechis schlegelii  feeding/defecation cycle? Icon_minitimeWed 11 Apr - 9:53

I think he will be fine. I would stretch out feeding out a bit to maybe once every 3 weeks. Nice set up, he should be happy!
Back to top Go down
Helen Houghton
Helen Houghton

Female

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii feeding/defecation cycle?   Bothriechis schlegelii  feeding/defecation cycle? Icon_minitimeThu 12 Apr - 3:17

Thanks Bob, thats very reassuring! I'll leave him for a couple more weeks before his next feed Smile
Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male
Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii feeding/defecation cycle?   Bothriechis schlegelii  feeding/defecation cycle? Icon_minitimeFri 25 May - 4:59

it is normal that they do that.
usually I feed them 3 or 4 times and if he hasn`t defecated yet I wait until it does it, but usually they do defecated before.
now I do alternate mice with quails so it more common that they do not defecate more because of the low fat on quails and they don`t get stuck.

regards
Back to top Go down
Thiago Rodrigues
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Thiago Rodrigues

Male
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii feeding/defecation cycle?   Bothriechis schlegelii  feeding/defecation cycle? Icon_minitimeSat 26 May - 5:23

Hi Helen!

This is very normal.

Wait some days. Continuing its snake not to defecate, places it in a short while hot water canister. (Around 28 or 29 degrees celsius) It will help its snake to stimulate to defecate!
Back to top Go down
Anton van Woerkom
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Anton van Woerkom

Male
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2011-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii feeding/defecation cycle?   Bothriechis schlegelii  feeding/defecation cycle? Icon_minitimeSat 26 May - 15:20

Hi Thiago,

I did the same with a boa or python that took too long to defecate. But a boa or python is easier to handle than an arboreal venomous snake that grasps every branch to prevend to be taken out of the terrarium. So I wonder if this doesn't cause more stress than the benefit of a sooner defecation.
Also I could observe that a boa or python really likes the hot bath. But I doubt if this will be the case with arboreal snakes like Bothriechis.
Please, tell us something more about your experıences in this.

Best wishes, Anton
Back to top Go down
Thiago Rodrigues
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Thiago Rodrigues

Male
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii feeding/defecation cycle?   Bothriechis schlegelii  feeding/defecation cycle? Icon_minitimeSun 27 May - 0:38

Hi Anton!

Generally these arbóreal species need one high humidity inside of the cage
The water would not be problem! I made this with a poisonous species that I keep in my collection.A Bothrops leucurus (4 y.o). This "shower" of hot water(Not very hot, it is clearly) it would be in the maximum per 20 minutes only. The time than more enough to stimulate the snake!

I wait to have helped!

(Sorry for my bad english).
Back to top Go down
Helen Houghton
Helen Houghton

Female

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii feeding/defecation cycle?   Bothriechis schlegelii  feeding/defecation cycle? Icon_minitimeThu 31 May - 2:21

Thanks for your reassuring words everyone - just a couple of days after i made this thread the little one defecated (sods law!) and he has been regular ever since! Rolling Eyes

Typical boy Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii feeding/defecation cycle?   Bothriechis schlegelii  feeding/defecation cycle? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bothriechis schlegelii feeding/defecation cycle?
Page 1 of 1