VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Illegal Trade Imperils Kentucky Snakes, By Jim Warren

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Illegal Trade Imperils Kentucky Snakes, By Jim Warren Empty
PostSubject: Illegal Trade Imperils Kentucky Snakes, By Jim Warren   Illegal Trade Imperils Kentucky Snakes, By Jim Warren Icon_minitimeWed 27 Aug - 0:38

jwarren@herald-leader.com, 8/25/08

They´re sleek and slithery, they hiss and rattle and sometimes they bite, and many people are scared to death of them.

Nevertheless, snakes are at the center of a growing illegal trade in Kentucky. It‚s part of a worldwide black market in exotic and endangered wildlife that generates an estimated $10 billion a year, according to estimates by various wildlife and environmental groups.

Kentucky´s problem came to light last month, after the state Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources confiscated more than 125 venomous snakes ˜ including some that are among the most dangerous species in the world ˜ and charged 10 people with possessing, importing or trafficking in illegal reptiles.

The state sting followed an undercover investigation lasting nearly two years. It got considerable news coverage outside Kentucky, mainly because one of those arrested was the pastor of a Middlesboro church where a Tennessee woman was bitten by a rattlesnake during a service in 1995. She later died.

State officials say that the snake trade in Kentucky probably is fueled by people seeking venomous snakes for snake-handling as practiced in some rural churches.

But the overriding factor, experts say, is overly aggressive snake enthusiasts who are willing to skirt the law to acquire large, exotic or poisonous reptiles. Some compare it to the desire to own vicious dogs or the impulse to acquire rare art even if it´s stolen.

"There are people who keep snakes because they´re fascinated with them, and most of them do it responsibly," said Jim Harrison, an internationally known herpetologist and director of the Kentucky Reptile Zoo at Slade in Powell County.

"But there are a few people who want these snakes because they saw one on television, or they want to show off by having a dangerous snake. They´re a small minority," he said. But they make headlines "because they get themselves bitten or they break the law."

Harrison discounts suggestions that some of the illegal trade could be for collecting venom used in producing snakebite antidotes. Collecting and preparing venom can be done only by a few professional facilities such as his, he said.

A profit motive

Robert Milligan, law enforcement director for the state wildlife department, stresses that there‚s also money to be made in illegally trafficking in snakes.

"They aren´t doing this just to have pets," Milligan said. "There´s definitely a profit motive, because they can sell these animals for lots of money.
" What concerns us is that our ecosystem is so fragile that a wholesale, unrestricted commerce in snakes could drive some of these species into extinction."

But the fact that a snake is endangered, or protected by law, doesn´t deter some collectors from paying hundreds or thousands of dollars to illegally possess one.

"We deal with people ... that are obsessed with having something, whether it´s the only one, the last one, or the rarest one," Kenny Kessler, a federal wildlife agent, told the Kansas University campus TV station last year.

Under Kentucky law, it is legal to capture and keep up to five of any species native to the state. Thus, one could legally catch and keep, say, five rattlesnakes, five copperheads and five cottonmouth moccasins. It is illegal, however, to catch and sell native Kentucky snakes from the wild. Captive-bred species can be purchased legally through pet stores or dealers. But dealers must have a state permit.

And certain species ˜ such as highly venomous cobras, adders and sea snakes ˜ are banned in Kentucky as "inherently dangerous." The law exempts snakes owned by circuses, zoos and research facilities.

Although many of the snakes confiscated last month were prohibited species, many also were native to Kentucky. And wildlife officials say native snakes taken from the wild in Kentucky often do end up going to buyers in other states or countries, where they would be rarities.

Experts say that when laws protecting snakes and reptiles are violated, bad things can happen, both to the people involved and to the snakes themselves.

Lost instincts

Harrison, who has been a consultant on Animal Planet and other television programs about snakes, notes that many snake species reach sexual maturity slowly, and reproduce only sporadically. Taking large numbers of them out of the wild literally could wipe out species in some areas, he said.
"That´s why we have laws that limit how many snakes you can take out of the wild," Harrison said. He noted that most species now can be bred in captivity, so there´s no need to remove snakes from the wild for commercial purposes.

Even when illegally caught wild snakes are rescued, they usually can´t be returned to their natural environment. That´s because they may have lost their natural instincts while in captivity, or they may have picked up infections that they could spread back to the wild.

Because of that, none of the snakes confiscated in last month´s Kentucky sting will ever be returned to nature. After a six-month quarantine, they´ll be distributed to accredited zoos or educational facilities, Harrison said.

Humans, too, can be at risk when wildlife laws are broken, because perpetrators often can´t or won´t take proper precautions, officials say. Kentucky State Herpetologist John MacGregor noted that during the recent sting, officers confiscated a 5-foot cobra that was being kept in a living room terrarium, the containe´s top held down by some rocks and duct tape. And Harrison contends that many snakebite cases occur to owners who might have acquired venomous species outside the law and don´t know how to handle them safely.

"I consult on snakebites all over the country, and we get lots of calls after midnight," he said. That means the person was bitten an hour or two earlier. Why were they working the snake that late at night? Because they weren´t responsible keepers, and they weren´t smart enough to have their own snakebite antidote."

Finally, Milligan said there´s another, practical law-enforcement reason for officers to go after the trade in snakes.

Very often, he said, people who traffic in snakes also engage in other illegal activities. For example, state officials have turned up cases of people dealing in snakes and drugs at the same time.

"Individuals who engage in this traffic almost always branch out into other illegal activities," he said.

Milligan said he hopes the recent sting will "send a pretty good message" and help deter illegal snake trafficking.

But Harrison said he fears the demand for venomous, exotic or endangered snakes will grow, encouraged in part by some shows now on TV that feature dramatic, action-filled encounters with dangerous reptiles.

"It‚s just the idea of having one," he said. "If it was the last one on Earth someone would want it just because they‚d be able to say they have the last one on Earth."
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Paul Nelis

Male
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Illegal Trade Imperils Kentucky Snakes, By Jim Warren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Illegal Trade Imperils Kentucky Snakes, By Jim Warren   Illegal Trade Imperils Kentucky Snakes, By Jim Warren Icon_minitimeThu 28 Aug - 5:11

Good one Mario,
This happens so many times. The one good thing to come out of this was that the people responsible were caught, but they are only the end of the chain. Until we can influence people in the countries of origin to control what is being removed then nothing will change. Between 1974 and 1978 there were something like 15,000 Bitis Nasicornis exported out of North Africa to Europe and the USA. Mostly adults and as most of you will know who have been involved with this species most will of died in the first 3 months. So yes it is imperative that these can be breed in captivity. The next step was captive farmed animals, where gravid females are caught and the young are sold when they are born. This in some ways is better but it still competes with captive bred animals.

For instance in the UK as in many other counties Royal pythons have been bred in captivity by the thousand in all types and colours, but most shops around here sell them for £50 to £70 each, but you can get captive farmed royals for £15.00 so most “beginners” go for the cheapest. OK you can tell them that they probably won’t eat and you will have to spend hours peeling, cutting, heating mice etc.

Then there is the point that they are bought as a status symbol. This is very true, I have been to houses to rescue snakes that have been bought by people who had no idea. I once went to a house at the request of a local animal rescue agency to capture a loose snake. When I got there I found a 2m Crotalus Adamanteus coiled up in the corner of the living room? It had escaped from its cage and the only experience the owner had with snakes before was with 2 corn snakes.
This could of ended in all kinds of tragedy.
I know I am preaching to the converted here guys but it is something that is close to my heart.
Paul
Back to top Go down

Illegal Trade Imperils Kentucky Snakes, By Jim Warren
Page 1 of 1