VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes...

Go down 
+4
Gerbrand Voorhorst
Piero Moroni
Bob Herrington
Jason Bardy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jason Bardy

Male
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-01-17

Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... Empty
PostSubject: Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes...   Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jun - 22:32

Hi,
Somes pics of my snakes:

Leptodeira annulata(I have 6 of thems)

Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... 599801_3856664747629_955538866_n

Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... 600182_3863871407791_925134555_n

Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... 601123_3883745664635_993670905_n

Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... 600958_3883745904641_537332713_n

My female Psammodynastes pulverulentus

Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... 387504_2460663008458_261361704_n

Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... 400083_2726369690959_1471189902_n

Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... 421286_3077256942921_4325682_n

Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... 533418_3556582165752_1705127308_n

Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... 575278_3743012466393_1396096016_n

My male Chrysoplea paradisi

Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... 252597_3856671787805_1692687589_n

Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... 562412_3856672147814_696610450_n

Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... 534266_3863851247287_1334857231_n

Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... 282336_3863853127334_1451558732_n
Back to top Go down
Bob Herrington
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes...   Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... Icon_minitimeSun 17 Jun - 2:34

Great looking animals. Do you mind telling us what they are feeding on?
Back to top Go down
Jason Bardy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes...   Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... Icon_minitimeSun 17 Jun - 2:39

I feed them with lizards and frogs like Hemidactylus, Lygodactylus, Racophorus...
The Psammodynastes also eat small snakes like young Thamnophis.
Back to top Go down
Piero Moroni
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Piero Moroni

Male
Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2012-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes...   Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... Icon_minitimeSun 17 Jun - 4:07

Hi Jason ;

Beautiful snakes that you maintain, they are all beauties!
My preference will go to Chrysoplea paradise I love you
Back to top Go down
Gerbrand Voorhorst

Male
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes...   Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... Icon_minitimeSun 17 Jun - 4:13

Very nice snake's

Grts From Holland
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2011-06-19

PostSubject: leptodeira   Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jun - 2:35

Jason,

Out of curiosity, do you know where your Leptodeira were imported from? Have you tried to switch them over to mice? Nice pics.

Michael
Back to top Go down
Jason Bardy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes...   Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jun - 3:07

Hi,
No, I don't know from where they were imported, but I think from Surinam.
I don't try to feed them with mouse, because my point is, in wild, they eats frogs and lizards, so, I think if they don't eat rodents it's for a good reason and I keep to feeds them with they wild preys.
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes...   Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jun - 3:54

Hi Jason,

a lot of snakes eat evertything in the "wild".
I had severall genera in the past who eat only frogs or lizards in literature...
in captive care they ate everything with a bit help without problems...

Just have a look, if they´ll eat scented items, if not...

give the lizards and frogs! As you did
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2011-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes...   Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jun - 5:06

i have to agree with Jason on this one feeding a natural diet with wild amphibians and insects may be the way to go , sure these items might harbor Protozoa's, Amoebiasis,Coccidiosis, and Cestodes , Trematodes, Nematodes even Flukes, etc. but think of the quality of life for the specimen now in captivity, switching over to lab bred "organic" rodents and treating with products like Ivomec, Metronidazole (flagyl) etc. may be too much of a stressor.

Brilliant, Leptodeira specimen BTW, well defined post orbital stripe.
Back to top Go down
Daniel Revaj
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Daniel Revaj

Male
Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2011-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes...   Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jun - 6:22

Hi Jason Smile

Sorry my english (google translate).
Glad to Ch. paradisi like Smile .
Already eats?
Good luck in searching for females.
If I know something new (Indonesia) Writing Wink .
Beautiful Leptodeira. over time and perhaps there will me ...

Revaj
Back to top Go down
Jason Bardy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes...   Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jun - 6:34

Fabian Dirks wrote:
Hi Jason,

a lot of snakes eat evertything in the "wild".
I had severall genera in the past who eat only frogs or lizards in literature...
in captive care they ate everything with a bit help without problems...

Just have a look, if they´ll eat scented items, if not...

give the lizards and frogs! As you did

I think, that's just my point, that rodents are more difficult to digested than frogs or lizards, so feed this snakes only with rodents, maybe that's would be a problem, so I preffer give them lizards to avoid some potentials problems.

Daniel Revaj wrote:
Hi Jason

Sorry my english (google translate).
Glad to Ch. paradisi like .
Already eats?
Good luck in searching for females.
If I know something new (Indonesia) Writing .
Beautiful Leptodeira. over time and perhaps there will me ...

Revaj

Hi Daniel

Yes, it ate on thursday without problems.
Maybe I've found somes female for Hamm in september, I have to wait...
Back to top Go down
Daniel Revaj
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Daniel Revaj

Male
Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2011-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes...   Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jun - 6:44

I'm glad everything is okay.
If there were more females, let me know, I would certainly took some Smile .
Back to top Go down
Jason Bardy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes...   Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jun - 6:58

It's from an importer, so I hope he can have somes regularly, I will let you know Wink
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2011-06-19

PostSubject: Leptodeira - mice or lizards?   Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jun - 23:25

My personal viewpoint on whether to feed a natural diet or an artificial diet like rodents depends upon the species. Certain species like Atheris hispidus don't seem to do well on rodents (at least that has been my impression), however, other species don't seem to miss a heart beat when switched to rodents.

There are certainly stressors that captivity produces. Although parasites may be kept "in check" in the wild, it has been the opinion of many people that the stress that animals face in captivity allows parasites to take hold and become a problem. For instance, I have had an adult female Leptodeira annulata and a Morelia variegata that developed subcutaneous lumps which proved to be tapeworms. They could be surgically removed, but the tapeworm drug at the time (Droncit I believe) was not effective on the subcutaneous type of tapeworm. Hence, they could continually develop more lumps. I have also had extensive experience with dwarf boas of the Ungaliophis genus and have lost several due to parasite transmission from feeder anoles. In one case about 15 years ago I lost 3 males within a 6 week period that were kept in the same cage (all were anole feeders). These were irreplaceable snakes, so I have been sensitive to feeding wild caught feeder animals such as frogs and lizards since then.

I have kept (for years) and bred Leptodeira that have been switched over to rodents successfully. While they may feed predominately on frogs in the wild, they take other food as well. To each his own, but why take a chance especially when many (but not all) animals can be switched over to a commercially viable food such as rodents?

Just an opinion

Michael
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes...   Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leptodeira, chrysopelea, psamodynastes...
Page 1 of 1