VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Leptodeira annulata

Go down 
+3
Chris Carille
Arjan Huitsing
Michael Burger
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2011-06-19

Leptodeira annulata  Empty
PostSubject: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeSat 11 Feb - 7:48

Some pics of Annulated cat eyed or "night" snakes (Leptodeira annulata sp). Easily one of the most commonly encountered snakes in Latin America, the annulata group is both morphologically and behaviorally distinct depending upon where one encounters them. The top two pics are of a snake (Leptodeira a. annulata) that was imported from Suriname (the 3rd pic is a CB hatchling) - they are very handleable, have laterally compressed bodies, have slightly more pronounced vertebral scales, and are considered semiarboreal in habits. The bottom pic is of a male (Leptodeira a. rhombifera) imported from either Honduras or Guatemala - this snake (and another I have) is absolutely unhandleable, has a rounded body without enlarged vertebral scales, and is generally more terrestrial in habits. It was extremely difficult to get a pic of this particular snake as it went completely 'ballistic' when I removed it from its enclosure. The bananas are from Ecuador.

Michael

[img]Leptodeira annulata  6853400587_a3ff3e27a1[/img]

Leptodeira annulata annulata (Amazonian morph/subspecies) Pics #1 & #2

[img]Leptodeira annulata  6853400353_63fc5ebb06[/img]

Leptodeira a. annulata (hatchling Amazonian morph/subspecies) (below)

[img]Leptodeira annulata  6853400175_fd9bcb0b97[/img]

Leptodeira annulata rhombifera (Central American morph/subspecies) (below)

[img]Leptodeira annulata  6853400747_6ace0ce585[/img]
Back to top Go down
Arjan Huitsing
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Arjan Huitsing

Male
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb - 20:49

Very nice looking snakes!
Back to top Go down
http://www.terrestrialsnakes.com
Chris Carille
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Chris Carille

Male
Registration date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeTue 27 Mar - 3:13

Nice cat-eyeds! I didn't know anyone else kept any of these... haha. I've had 2.2 (1.1 of which I've had for 3-4 years). Strange that a couple of yours are not handleable, as my 2.2 are very calm and the one's I've run into (Leptodiera) in Peru, Belize, and Costa Rica have all been extremely relaxed.

Did you hatch the neonate out yourself?
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeTue 27 Mar - 4:47

Yeah, the septentrionalis that I've encountered now and then in Costa Rica were very much like the Amazonian annulata - very handleable and very attenuate in body form. I've never had the chance to handle any other species of Leptodeira. The baby is one of four that I've hatched from 2 captive reproductions w/the Amazonian annulata. I still have to find one here in Texas- I understand they are not reallly all that difficult to find provided you know where to look........

Michael
Back to top Go down
Chris Carille
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Chris Carille

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeTue 27 Mar - 4:54

Wow! Impressive Michael! How'd you get them to reproduce in captivity? I really haven't had any luck figuring it out yet and was going to try introducing frog eggs into the cage to simulate seasonality change
Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male
Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeTue 27 Mar - 4:57

very nice Leptodeira, we have a pair of this species but we feed them with pinkies (assited)
I was wondering with what do you feed yours and how do you keep them??

thanks in advance

regards
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male

PostSubject: Leptodeira   Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeTue 27 Mar - 7:26

Quite honestly, I bred the Leptodeira by cooling them down and then introduced the female to the male.

As for feeding, most Leptodeira that I am familiar with are frog feeders in the wild (one exception is the mangrove occuring species in Costa Rica that I believe feeds on crabs). Many can be 'switched over' by scenting a dead pink with a frog. I have only had luck with this method with half grown to adult animals - babies that I have had were pretty stubborn and would only take small frogs. I keep them on a cypress mulch substrate with a large water bowl and a piece of bark to hide under. Temperatures average around 25-28 C. I mist the cages a couple of times a week.

Michael
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2011-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeTue 27 Mar - 15:21

I,ve collected these in Dutch Guiana , Suriname, the Leptodeira sp. Micheal they seem to get quite large in Suriname and are classified as a bushmaster mimic.

They are a little bit funny to the trappers as they inflate theyre necks when aggitated. i believe theyre might be more than one species of this interesting colubridae even in Suriname ?.
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar - 2:23

You know Peter... in this case your red mark ill consider constructive ..tell you why, Dean Ripa had contacted me because he was writing an article on Bushmasters and ask me if i rembered the name of the snake they considered a mimic of this species he and myself have spent a lot of time with Theo Henzen in Suriname .

So which specimen do you consider a Bushmaster mimic specifically in Suriname.

Thanks in advance because this question was left open by me to Dean as this was the only one specimen i could think of.
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male

PostSubject: Leptodeira or Lachesis?   Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar - 21:50

Not to stray too far from the Leptodeira subject, but I believe that either a Waglerophis or Xenodon species might be more of a bushmaster mimic than a Leptodeira. I've never seen a cat eyed snake inflate its neck, but Waglerophis does quite readily. Cat eyed snakes tend to be somewhat more slender than Lachesis. Just my two cents......many Waglerophis have banded patterns...here are couple of pics of a darker specimen...

[img]Leptodeira annulata  7023707375_40916540ab[/img]

[img]Leptodeira annulata  6877604914_d7f977a30c[/img]

My humble opinion.......
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar - 22:26

That's a great one professor, Campbell and Lamar volume two Venomous Reptiles of the Western Hemisphere specifically name this rear fanged colubridae phylum as being a venomous snake mimic.

Micheal do you really think were straying from the subject mentioning the Leptodeira group as a venomous snake mimic or adding to the knowlege about them.

Personally i think we should not insult the intelligence of the forum readers and keep it so structured, id even accept skull morphology in the rearfanged Leptodeira group as an interesting addt'l information , we only seem to get into details with the more well known species that are not so dramatic .

That's a great one ive seen very large specimens of this group Xenodon in Southern Brazil.

Thank's for your input , you reminded me of something i must have not learned so well.
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar - 23:45

Leptodeira annulata ill consider a young Lachesis muta muta mimic on account of the keeled scales , dorsal black diamond /rhomboid pattern and brown back ground.

Xenodon i dont remember specifically this specimen in Suriname , i remember Xenodon werneri from French Guiana this one seems to mimic Bothriopsis bilineata.

In Brazil Xendon's are killed for their likeness to Bothrops Jararaca, if this snake occurs in Suriname, i think it would be more a Bothrops atrox mimic.

The species i was confuse with was actually a Pseustes sp. they inflate theyre neck like the Black and Yellow Amazonian Ratsnakes. The thought of Lachesis muta muta size threw me off but remember Bushmasters are about 18" when they hatch from eggs.

Thanks for the input !
AJM.
Back to top Go down
Chris Carille
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Chris Carille

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeThu 29 Mar - 0:59

Here is L. annulata defensive posture. No puffed neck, but they do flatten their heads to mimic a viper's. No "S" posture, as mine have never done it.
Leptodeira annulata  7018832203_7057ff2169

I know I'm limited to one experience, but here is a [i]L. stenophrys
defensive posture. Only slight throat puffing.
Leptodeira annulata  3797954533_5ca18edac9
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeThu 29 Mar - 2:29

Chris , excellent observation, the Leptodeira annulata specifically from Suriname mimics/resembles a young Bushmaster (Lachesis muta muta ) on the basis of lepidosis and color pattern.

In Costa Rica C.A it's been said that "The Jumping Viper" (Atropoides mexicanus), mimics a Bushmaster on the same attributes, lepidosis.

Leptodeira annulata and new born Bothrops atrox were the brunt of few hoaxes in the field in Suriname to green guest researchers at first glance...Look we found a baby Bushmaster or a Boom-oro-ko-koe...not !

Still all in all Leptodeira annulata is a very interesting specimen i think a friend of Professor Micheal Burger has an albino.
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeThu 29 Mar - 3:19

Yes, actually the rhomboid pattern in L. annulata (as well as the color) might make it somewhat easy to mistake by some. However, while at first glance I might be able to see one being mistaken, I think the thickness of the body would seem to be an instant determining factor - though I suspect under the shine of a flashlight at night, things are not always apparent. I suppose I've seen too many hatchling L. muta (3-4 dozen) to confuse the two species.

[img]Leptodeira annulata  7024461135_e617ecc293[/img]

Female Suriname L. muta showing the semi rhomboid markings

[img]Leptodeira annulata  6853400587_a3ff3e27a1[/img]

L. annulata with rhomboids

Good Observations Mr. Montejo! You are second to none when it comes to experience with neotropical snakes.....

Regards

Michael
Back to top Go down
Chris Carille
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Chris Carille

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeFri 30 Mar - 5:54

My L. annulata are imported from Suriname.
I could see it I guess. I'd have to agree with Michael on the size giving it away pretty quickly. And I haven't noticed keeled scales on them.
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeFri 30 Mar - 6:51

Great let's get past that point . Which fundamental rule governing snake mimicry do you believe that ( Leptodeira annulata ) empirically fit under, Batesian , quasi-Batesian, Mullerian or Mertensian mimicry.

Please give me your theory not based on lepidopterans models.

Thanks, for your reply Chris.
Back to top Go down
Chris Carille
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Chris Carille

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeFri 30 Mar - 23:02

I admit that I don't know mimicry very well, but I'd say it is more of a batesian model. Of course I think one would need to determine the specific predators each species is defending itself from to determine the real roots of mimicry. I wouldn't say either evolved in protection from humans, so it may be that both have coevolved to look similar in patterns because of their environment - not one mimicking the other.

That being said, I would say that L. annulata's flattening of it's head would mimic a viper, but couldn't say which particular species it evolved to mimic.
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeFri 30 Mar - 23:30

Yes , your guess is as good as mine i really havent figured it out yet, although on Danny Mendez's URBAN JUNGLES RADIO SHOW i think they had an segment dedicated to Leptodeira annulata .

"Big Pimpn down in NYC" ~ JAYZ
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeSat 31 Mar - 1:05

The triangulation of head is not a mimicry !
It evolved at complete different lineages of colubrids. However, the triangulation is produced with different rotations of bones and movements of muscles.
So it makes no sense with mimicry.

In my opinion, it is more useful to let the snake looks more threatening / bigger

rgds Fabian
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Chris Carille
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Chris Carille

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeSat 31 Mar - 1:48

Thank you Albert. I'll have to check to see if I can find that segment on UJ Radio.

Thank you also Fabian. I agree that it could be to make the snake look "bigger," but if it looks more "threatening" that would have to be mimicry. The triangular head only looks threatening because other species with triangular heads are threatening.
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeSat 31 Mar - 1:58

Batesian's theory was based on Lepidopterans, let's theorize for instance say a Suriname Bufo Marinus Spc. a) consumes or b) decides not to consume an Leptodeira annulata , what would be his incentive for either choice.

Serpent Chief's got a good point , quite a few snakes have that mechanismalistic behavior inclusive the Xenodon group, Mertensian theory of mimicry, Mullerian or none ? what do you think .

Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male

PostSubject: mimicry involving Leptodeira   Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeSat 31 Mar - 4:25

Certainly an example of Mertensian mimicry- you have one species (Leptodeira), a mildly venomous serving as a model for a fatally venomous species (Lachesis).

Of course, just an opinion.

Michael
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeSat 31 Mar - 5:26

Okay, let us assume that Leptodeira is a mimic of Lachesis in Suriname. At what point would you consider other species because of their superficial resemblance to Lachesis?

[img]Leptodeira annulata  6884173052_a8f2716bd4[/img]

A L. annulata (above)with semi rhomboid markings

[img]Leptodeira annulata  7030275011_20e9390d7f[/img]

An Imantodes cenchoa (above) from Costa Rica with markings dangerously similar to Lachesis stenophrys.

Although coloration and pattern may be considered mimicry to an extent, the extreme slenderness makes it less so Mr. Montejo. Would you not agree?

Michael

Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitimeSat 31 Mar - 5:26

Mertensian mimicry, ok then Mertensian it is. Would the size of Leptodeira annulata influence anything , i really have collected meter long or longer indivuals in Suriname...Damn we use to call them "shit snakes" and sell them for five dollars.

Lachesis muta muta fatally venomous true , you couldnt tell from Dean Ripa bitten nineteen times by various Lachesis species and still sings like an angel as the star of the world famous bigband , The Tommy Dorsey Orchestra ( circa) Big Band Era !! he's one tough guy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leptodeira annulata
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next