VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Echis identification requested

Go down 
+3
Peter Zürcher
Manuel Ebert
Peter Kane
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Peter Kane

Male
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2012-06-15

Echis identification requested Empty
PostSubject: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeFri 14 Sep - 4:57

I want to identify an echis subspecies, but I don't know how to post an image on the forum. I've tried using the above icons, but none of it works. I'm sure it's easy when you know how, but it's so user unfriendly! Please help.

Echis identification requested Echis_10
Peter.
Back to top Go down
Manuel Ebert
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2010-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeFri 14 Sep - 14:46

Hello Peter,

I already posted the following in another subject 'Naja kaouthia bite' ...

'concerning the pictures ... while you're editing your post, [left picture icon] host image, copy the image URL (last line), use [right picture icon] to place the image by using its URL.'

Kind Regards, Manuel Ebert
Back to top Go down
http://www.manuelebertherpetology.com
Peter Kane

Male

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeFri 14 Sep - 17:29

Many thanks. I'll give it a go.
Peter.
Back to top Go down
Peter Kane

Male

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeFri 14 Sep - 18:42

No, that doesn't work either. It just returns me to the "upload your image" screen. To be honest, I've never known such an awkward forum to post images as this one. There must be a simple way of doing it, but I can't find it and the forum provides no help whatsoever. I give up.
Peter.
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeFri 14 Sep - 19:12

Echis identification requested Dsc_0911

just sent a test picture - works quite well and easy, as usual.

Go to "host an image"
click Durchsuchen/search
open the picture
click send
copy the link (last one of three)
put the link in your message and send

Peter, if it still doesn't work, send me your picture(s) by e-mail (info@reptilienzoonockalm.at), write your posting and i will add your picture(s).
regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Peter Kane

Male

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeFri 14 Sep - 19:33

Thanks Peter, but that's what I've been doing without any luck. I'll try one more thing.

No, that doesn't work either. As I said, I give up. Mad
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeFri 14 Sep - 19:50

Can't believe it - our members are posting thousands of pictures, and reports about misfunctions are very, very rare...

one more tip: i never use the copy button on the upload image screen, that has been failed in some cases, use your mouse to mark and copy the link....

Don't give up, we'll get it...and your identification request could be very interesting...

Thanks for the picture, Peter, it's uploaded now - took me 10 seconds - curious indeed...

and i changed the topic title hoping to get more response this way....
Back to top Go down
Peter Kane

Male

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeFri 14 Sep - 20:05

Thanks for your help Peter.
Back to top Go down
Peter Kane

Male

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeFri 14 Sep - 20:21

I tried again and failed.
The snake is from India and appears to be either echis carinatus carinatus or echis carinatus sochureki, but which I'm not sure. Any help appreciated.
Peter.
Back to top Go down
Tim Hallam
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tim Hallam

Male
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeFri 14 Sep - 20:38

looks like the darker and smaller southern Indian form of E. carinatus carinatus to me
but I'm no expert I suggest you contact either Catharine Wüster, Wolfgang Wüster or Paul Rowley regarding Echis

regards Tim Hallam.
Back to top Go down
Peter Kane

Male

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeFri 14 Sep - 20:51

Thank you Tim. I'm leaning heavily towards echis carinatus carinatus also, but I'm no echis expert.
Peter.
Back to top Go down
Tim Hallam
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tim Hallam

Male

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeFri 14 Sep - 20:53

oh yes and I forgot to say - can I have it? bounce
Back to top Go down
Peter Kane

Male

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeFri 14 Sep - 21:18

Tim Hallam wrote:
oh yes and I forgot to say - can I have it? bounce

Sorry, it's spoken for!
Back to top Go down
Tim Hallam
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tim Hallam

Male

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeFri 14 Sep - 22:00

Seriously though Peter I'd be interested to know what the fate of this animal is it's a very rare specimen outside of India and desirable I hope it ends up somewhere deserving.

regards Tim Hallam.
Back to top Go down
Peter Kane

Male

PostSubject: Echis identification.   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeSat 15 Sep - 1:29

Can I bring your attention to the thread on echis identification under the above sub-forum heading "What is that? / Identification requests" please. Confirmation of E. carinatus carinatus or E. carinatus sochureki would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter.
Back to top Go down
mark craddock
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
mark craddock

Male
Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeSat 15 Sep - 3:06

Peter Kane wrote:
Can I bring your attention to the thread on echis identification under the above sub-forum heading "What is that? / Identification requests" please. Confirmation of E. carinatus carinatus or E. carinatus sochureki would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter.
Peter, it's impossible to tell from one photograph. There are only a few subtle differences that separate the whole of the former carinatus group. You will need to know its original locality at the very least. He book " True Vipers" by Mallow/ Ludwig/ Nilson, has some very good information on the subject.
Back to top Go down
Peter Kane

Male

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeSat 15 Sep - 9:01

Unfortunately, I only know it is from India and I'm unable to upload another photo for some reason.
Peter.
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeSat 15 Sep - 13:26

Peter Zürcher wrote:

Peter, if it still doesn't work, send me your picture(s) by e-mail (info@reptilienzoonockalm.at), write your posting and i will add your picture(s).
regards
Peter
... Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeSat 15 Sep - 13:42

Peter Zürcher wrote:

'Don't give up, we'll get it...and your identification request could be very interesting...

Thanks for the picture, Peter, ...'
My thoughts, exactly. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Peter Kane

Male

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeSat 15 Sep - 17:08

I've emailed Peter the only other photo I have at the moment and asked that he might post it on my behalf.
Peter.
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeSat 15 Sep - 17:21

and here it is - posted as link because of copy rights (Sun newspaper)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4523054/Gran-Kath-Forster-picked-up-deadly-saw-scaled-viper-in-garden.html
Back to top Go down
Roger Sharp
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Roger Sharp

Male
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeSun 16 Sep - 19:56

Echis identification requested Photo10

i would say its a E. carinatus sochureki
Back to top Go down
mark craddock
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
mark craddock

Male
Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeSun 16 Sep - 20:23

[quote="Roger Sharp"]Echis identification requested Photo10

i would say its a E. carinatus sochureki [/quote
It's impossible to tell from this photograph as colour alone cannot be relied upon. After reading the information that I have, it is most likely carinatus or possibly multisquamatus. Based on where the shipment came from. The OP said that it originated from India. Sochureki come from Pakistan. More detailed photographs, especially the head scales are needed for a definate I.D. Wolfgang Wuster or Paul Rowley will be able to help for sure.
Back to top Go down
Roger Sharp
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Roger Sharp

Male
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeSun 16 Sep - 20:25

Hi Mark i did send a pic to Paul Rowley and he said it was E. carinatus sochureki i also sent one to Wolfgang but got no reply.
Back to top Go down
Tim Hallam
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tim Hallam

Male

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitimeMon 17 Sep - 22:59

Peter Zürcher wrote:
and here it is - posted as link because of copy rights (Sun newspaper)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4523054/Gran-Kath-Forster-picked-up-deadly-saw-scaled-viper-in-garden.html
Peter I think there is confusion developing here, there are two Indian Echis in the UK both arriving in stone shipments the newspaper article you posted refers to the animal Roger Sharp has not the animal Peter Kane has one was discovered in Derbyshire in the Midlands and the other in the south east

regards Tim.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Echis identification requested   Echis identification requested Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Echis identification requested
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next