VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata

Go down 
+24
Philipp Einfalt
Brook Berntson
Harold van der Ploeg
Michele Angelo Furiani
Albert J. Montejo
Mike Spencer
Walter Silva
Sascha Beckhoff
Nika Brunet
PeterMagnusson
Arjan Breedveld
Johannes Marchand
Gustav Eloy
Stefan Thomson
Anze Gratzer
Derek Morgan
Rémi Ksas
Israel M. Sánchez
Rene Schenk
Ari Finsk
Brian Petrie
Jimmy Cederhag
Curtis Stewart
Sami Heikkinen
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Jan Jonkman
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jan Jonkman

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2010-10-28

Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata   Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 5 Jan - 15:37

I can only agree with Stefan.

Those are truly beautiful!
Good luck with the feeding part!
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata   Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 7 Jan - 17:39

Thanks from the imput Albert!
These are really strange snakes, they don't start drinking as normal snakes would when you mist them.. Is really frustraiting to mist them every otherday and see them dry.
Here's an example of couple.
Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata - Page 3 Dyhyd

The boxes where I keep them should have good ventilation so this should not be the problem.. I have also put them in a box with water and then mist them (this sometimes makes them drink), perhaps this is more natural because they should live near small streams and so on..
I'll post a pic of the box later so you can see how I keep them.. if anyone is interested.

Cheers
Sami
Back to top Go down
http://nothingtosayphoto.blogspot.com/
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata   Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 7 Jan - 17:57

OK here you go..
Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata - Page 3 Bili_terra1
Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata - Page 3 Bili_terra2

This is how I keep them.

I change the paper to peat in couple of boxes (on those induviduals which dry the most) just to check if that changes anything.
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2011-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata   Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 8 Jan - 0:23

Hello, Sam, no problem my favorite subject next to rare Cuban Palmtrees is Palm-Pitvipers and Forest -Pitvipers.
Sami the fotos help out a lot to diagnose your situation , if the Forest-Pitvipers were mine this is what i would do.

A) Leave the ones that are doing well alone or "As-Is".
B) Up the feed on the ones that are not progressing as well to once every 5 days .
C) Continue from B) Add 4 -8 centimeter of water as an entire floor covering substrate.
D) Continue from B) Reduce ventilation as with Tree Monitors V.Reisingeri , V.Prasinus group .
E) As an option bring perch closer to water or place plastic plants with some in the water some out.
F) These snakes would feed well today , on live frogs , but this is not an option due to parasite and protozoan load of even captive born Amphiabianoid specimens.

* Palm-Pitvipers are amazingly tough and resilent snakes and can handle a lot of mistakes except dehydration.

good luck,

Albert.
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata   Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 8 Jan - 1:19

Thanks again from the tips.
I could try adding just water as "substrate" on the ones which dehydrate most easilly. The ones which eat ok do not dehydrate any more btw. they drink almost everytime when I mist them. So they have "learn the trick" Razz
Reducing ventilation is something what I don't want to do because it can lead to respiratory problmes (happen to one of my T. wagleri). Not of course sure with bilineatas..

I have also think your plan B. I'd perhaps need to force feed the ones which aren't eating so good more often.. I have tried to avoid this for many reasons, but it seems it will be the only way to get them feeding properly.

Cheers!

Last edited by Sami Heikkinen on Wed 11 Jan - 6:46; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male
Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata   Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 8 Jan - 4:12

hello Sami how are the babys doing, hope all of them are starting to drink and eat by themselves, keep updated and wish ypu the best.

regards
Back to top Go down
Jimi Gragg

Male
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata   Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Feb - 12:27

Yes Sami, please update us on the progress of this litter and the parents (especially the father). This is a notoriously difficult species to culture; the history you relate (of this litter) combined with your deep experience w/ diverse arboreals only validate this reputation for the rest of us. I'd surely have killed them all by now...

Not to hijack your thread but (since you mentioned a respiratory issue w/ poor air circulation) I'd also love to hear more of your husbandry experience w/ Tropidolaemus - another "white whale" (American literature reference - Moby Dick) for many of us. I have no personal experience w/ Bothriopsis but Waglers - other than adult females - have been a bitch for me. At least whatever they're calling the Sumatrans nowadays - that's all I've tried.

Best,
Jimi
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata   Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Feb - 16:41

Hi! Here's an little update.
Rest of the babies are now working ok exept one, they are also quite shy feeders so you need to tease them a bit (tapping on the side of the snakes or tail usually do the trick). There is also still a few that dehydrates easilly. I try to mist these more and so on, but some days the misting doesn't seem to work (they just don't start drinking).
I'm not 100% sure of the gender of the babies but what I think is that the more harder ones might be males.

I have also notice that their metabolism is much faster than I expected (like the other arboreal vipers) and I could have fed them little more perhaps..
What else I could say.. hmm oh some of them have shed their skin for the third time now.
If there anything else you need to know just ask and I'l ltry to write something Smile

The adult male and female are doing fine, the female shed it's skin couple of days ago and it's about time to get it feeding again (it was off from food around a month just hiding on the ground).
I try to take some new photos of the adults and the juveniles soon.
Back to top Go down
Jimi Gragg

Male
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata   Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Feb - 11:47

Ah, very glad to hear of your amazing good fortune (and that some of your pals over there may benefit soon from it!). Sami I think we wrote in some years past (another forum, I forget maybe Ratelslangen?) but it must have been at least 2008 maybe earlier. Probably talking Vipera, or perhaps C lepidus.

I thought the academic phylogeny of Bothriopsis has gone back and forth, and this genus may actually be back in Bothrops (for now? ha ha) which would sort of back up your observation about faster metabolism than most other arboreals.

Um...do you find the parent or at least the big mother are more like a Bothrops asper or colombiensis in temperament than most other arboreals? Or are they similarly mellow at least in daytime? I've only actually been close to one of these (adult female Suriname import), at Glades back around 2005. Cool beast for sure.

Cheers,
Jimi
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2011-06-19

PostSubject: Bothriopsis progress?   Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Nov - 6:47

Sami,

I am curious about the progress of the young bilineata. Also, did you attempt to reproduce the adult female again?

Great snakes, best wishes,

Michael
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata   Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bothriopsis bilineata bilineata
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3