VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

From Switzerland

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Yannick Berthoud
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Yannick Berthoud

Male
Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2015-04-20

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr - 23:25

Hello World !

I from switzerland and new on maintain about snake venom. I started the reptile on 2004, in 2006, i got +40 tarantulas and continuing snake maintain.

Actually, i got an T. Albolabris and waiting this week-end for T. Trigonocephalus.

I hope obtain in the futur: A. lubricus, A. Squamigera/hirsuta, C. cerastes and few other Smile

Like you can read, my english's small bad. So, excuse me per advance Smile.

See you !
Back to top Go down
Brian Faenger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2014-07-30

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr - 14:09

Welcome on this board.

Allways nice to find new people from Switzerland on the forum.
Accordind to your name I guess that you are from the "French" parts of Switzerland ?

Kind Regards,

Brian.
Back to top Go down
Yannick Berthoud
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Yannick Berthoud

Male

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr - 15:35

Hello Brian,

Yes, From Fribourg (Belfaux bourse, with Aqua-Terra Club Fribourg).

And you ?
Back to top Go down
Brian Faenger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr - 15:39

I'm from Montreux.

As your coming from Fribourg, I guess we were trained by the same Person Wink

Back to top Go down
Yannick Berthoud
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Yannick Berthoud

Male

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr - 15:47

For all, the same :p.

It's me i realized his website :p

Excuse my english (c'est plus facile en Français ahahaha)
Back to top Go down
Brian Faenger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr - 15:49

C'est clair Wink
Back to top Go down
Jean-Michel Dupuyoo
Jean-Michel Dupuyoo

Male
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2014-06-20

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeFri 24 Apr - 2:49

Hello,

Welcome.

It seems very easy to obtain venonous snake in CH. Does the public opinion agree with that?

Sincerely.

Jean-Michel (french speaker from France)
Back to top Go down
http://www.zootropical.com
Brian Faenger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeFri 24 Apr - 3:14

Hi Jean Michel,

It is far from easy to obtain a license to keep venomous snakes in Switzerland.
You'll need to take training courses for both, theory and handeling.
Then you'll need to pass both examinations (theory/handeling)
Then you'll need to pass your snake room examination from the veterinary services.

Only then you can start to keep venomous snakes of the 1st from 4 categories of venomous snakes.

In the "canton" where I live, you can only keep 1 venomous snake during the first year.

As of 2014 there are only 220 licenses in whole switzerland. That not what I would call easy Wink

Back to top Go down
Jean-Michel Dupuyoo
Jean-Michel Dupuyoo

Male

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeFri 24 Apr - 3:37

Thank you for your answer.

It isn't easy that true. I will start my training next automn to obtain a "certificat de capacité" - the french license to be allow to host no domestic animals - for few venomous sp. Unfortunately in France it is not so clear. Many local "politic" about this kind of animals. Anyway...

How about the 4 categories of venomous snakes? May you edit a topic about that? I can imagine mamba is category 4. But what about the first category?

Sincerely.
Back to top Go down
Brian Faenger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeFri 24 Apr - 15:29

These categories were created to protect the keeper aswell as the snake.

It takes in account 5 ratings for each snake :
The 2 first are there to protect the animal

• Maintenance difficulty
  • Handeling difficulty

The 3 other to protect the keeper

• Natural Agressivness
  • Venom Toxicity
  • Medical difficulties to treat an envenomation

Cat 1 examples : Some Trimeresurus, some akistrodons, some vipera species etc ..
Cat 2 examples : More Trimeresurs, Sistrurus, smaller crotalus, more vipera etc...
Cat 3 examples : Some Naja species, some Deinakistrodon, Macrovipera, etc. ...
Cat 4 examples : Larger Elapid species, lachesis, Dendoaspis, Bothrops, Most naja's, see snakes, etc ...

And just because I missed it out in my first post, you need a special handeling course for Elapids of category 3 & 4.
When you start, you mainly start with 1 cat1 snake, then you can go up from there. For category 4, you need at least 6 years of experience from which at least 3 years with cat 3 snakes.

Brian.
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeFri 24 Apr - 18:28

Quote :
Medical difficulties to treat an envenomation

This cannot be a realistic criterion in my opinion. It could be more difficult to treat an Atheris- than a Dendroaspis-bite. While Dendroaspis spp. are in category 4, where would you list Atheris spp.?
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Brian Faenger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeFri 24 Apr - 19:51

Peter Zürcher wrote:
Quote :
Medical difficulties to treat an envenomation

This cannot be a realistic criterion in my opinion. It could be more difficult to treat an Atheris- than a Dendroaspis-bite. While Dendroaspis spp. are in category 4, where would you list Atheris spp.?

This criterion is part of several criterions that lead to classefy Dendroaspis in cat 4.

Her are the exact ratings for Atheris and Dendroaspis for you to get an idea :

Order is : Species, Maintenance difficulty(1-10), Handeling difficulty(1-5), Species agressivity (1-5), Venom Toxicity (1-10), Difficulty to treat envenomation (1-10), Averall rating (5-40)

• Atheris squamigera : 3, 2, 3,5,5 total :18 = cat 2
  • Dendroaspis polelylepis : 4,5,4,10,10 total : 33 = cat 4

If I'm correct, before the antivenom for Dendroaspis Polylepis was available, a bite from it was concidered the "kiss of death" as it was close to 100% fatal issues.
And if I'm not wrong (which I could be) there is no antivenom for Atheris but a very low "death to bite" ratio.

From this point of view, saying that Dendroaspis envenomation is medically more significant seems quite "realistic" to me.

But it is very interesting to discuss this point as every person reacts differently, and please remember that this classification is NOT meant to be a dangerousness index of snakes. It is meant to prevent unexperienced keepers to aquire snake they probably can not deal with.
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeFri 24 Apr - 20:42

If you consider the "medical difficulty" of the treatment, Dendroaspis bites are surely less complicated to treat as those of Atheris spp..
What's really that difficult in treating a Dendroaspis bite with antivenom and/or artificial respiration compared to the treatment of severe Atheris bites with their possible life-threatening hemotoxic effects?

Quote :
as every person reacts differently
that's true, but can hardly be considered in that list.

Quote :
prevent unexperienced keepers to aquire snake they probably can not deal with
also true and a good idea, but here too "medical difficulties of the treatment" do not have any importance, and finally, what else than a kind of "dangerous index" is that list then?

Who created this list, and is this "official" in Switzerland?
Back to top Go down
Brian Faenger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeFri 24 Apr - 23:34

Peter Zürcher wrote:

What's really that difficult in treating a Dendroaspis bite with antivenom and/or artificial respiration compared to the treatment of severe Atheris bites with their possible life-threatening hemotoxic effects?

The main differences from my point of view is "Time" Dendroaspis venom is a very fast acting powerfull neurotoxin. According to literature (Jiri Valenta's Venomous Snakes - Evenoming Therapy) Severe neurological effect can kick in in as short as 10 minutes. The other point is Venom Yield. And adult full grown polylepis can deliver huge amounts of venom thus requiring more antivenom. Its not rare to see cases where 20+ vials are required. The first bite in Switzerland would basically empty the stocks we have.

Peter Zürcher wrote:
Quote :
prevent unexperienced keepers to aquire snake they probably can not deal with
what else than a kind of "dangerous index" is that list then?

This list is supposed to protect the snake as well by using the maintenance index. How many keepers have tried to keep difficult species and have slowly driven the snakes to death. Take Atheris Hispida as an example.

Peter Zürcher wrote:
Who created this list, and is this "official" in Switzerland?

This list has been issued by the "Vivarium de Lausanne" and the person in charge of training keepers in the french part of Switzerland.
And the list is used by the Swiss Veterinary Services to deliver authorizations.

In fact when you pass the examination you receive a certificate. On this certificate is indicated the categories that you can handle.
Based on that the veterinary services give you the according license.

Kind regards,

Brian
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr - 0:30

Quote :
The main differences from my point of view is "Time" Dendroaspis venom is a very fast acting powerfull neurotoxin.............
I'm quite well informed about the toxins of D. polylepis and other venomous snakes as well.

But once more: what's that difficult in treating a mamba bite compared to other problems caused by other snakes like severe coagulation problems or the well known problems triggered off by severe cytotoxic effects? These problems are more difficult to fight, if we take in mind, that doctors are usually more or less overstrained in those cases. Neither fast acting toxins nor the need of high dosages do change the fact that treatments of Dendroaspis bites are a relatively simple thing (compared to many other species) and do not require much specific knowledge of the medical staff.

Quote :
This list is supposed to protect the snake as well by using the maintenance index. How many keepers have tried to keep difficult species and have slowly driven the snakes to death.
Agreed, but we find this problem in all kinds of reptiles, so this cannot be an argument supporting this list, all the more there are surely some not that easy to keep snakes in the lower categories 1 and 2, or do we find snakes like some rare Bothriopsis spp. or Atheris hispida in category 4?

I don't like such lists. They're too technically and too theoretical - and they easily can switch off the common sense. And they're not reliable in all cases - regarding the criterion "Natural Aggressivness" with it's individual differences per example....
Back to top Go down
Brian Faenger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr - 1:07

Peter Zürcher wrote:
But once more: what's that difficult in treating a mamba bite compared to other problems caused by other snakes like severe coagulation problems or the well known problems triggered off by severe cytotoxic effects? These problems are more difficult to fight, if we take in mind, that doctors are usually more or less overstrained in those cases. Neither fast acting toxins nor the need of high dosages do change the fact that treatments of Dendroaspis bites are a relatively simple thing (compared to many other species) and do not require much specific knowledge of the medical staff.

You got a bit off-track on that one. You've gone from comparing Atheris and Polylepis(in your first post) to comparing Polylepis vs all other snake venoms. Of course there are worst venoms that polylepis. Lachesis, Oxyuranus, Naja Nivea etc ..

Peter Zürcher wrote:

Agreed, but we find this problem in all kinds of reptiles, so this cannot be an argument supporting this list, all the more there are surely some not that easy to keep snakes in the lower categories 1 and 2, or do we find snakes like some rare Bothriopsis spp. or Atheris hispida in category 4?

Bothriopsis are mainly in cat 3, Bothriopsis taeniata beeing in cat 4

Peter Zürcher wrote:

I don't like such lists. They're too technically and too theoretical - and they easily can switch off the common sense. And they're not reliable in all cases - regarding the criterion "Natural Aggressivness" with it's individual differences per example....

This is a personnal feeling. I'm not sharing it but I can understand it.

I largely prefere a system of regulations with a list, even if the list is not perfect to a system where you can get watever you want and put everyone at risk because you get overwelmed by a 7 foot Naja Melanoleuca.

Keep in mind that no list will open the eventuallity that some idiots start with more difficult snakes. That's when accidents happen and that's bad for the hobby.

Sheers,

Brian
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr - 2:27

Quote :
You got a bit off-track on that one. You've gone from comparing Atheris and Polylepis(in your first post) to comparing Polylepis vs all other snake venoms. Of course there are worst venoms that polylepis. Lachesis, Oxyuranus, Naja Nivea etc ..

No, i didn't compare venoms. I compared different levels of difficulty in the treatment of various snake bites , just like your list does under the criterion "Medical Difficulties".
And i see some comparisons very different - that's all. Wink

And accidents happen to experienced people too, it's not a privilege of beginners, may they be serious or idiotic.
One can overregulate everything, so why not this hobby? The more rules and lists, the less common sense involved.

Back to top Go down
Jean-Michel Dupuyoo
Jean-Michel Dupuyoo

Male

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeMon 27 Apr - 3:45

Thank you for your informations.

Such rating is interesting. Last question. Does Boiga dendro. is quote? Cat 1?

Sincerely.

Jean-Michel
Back to top Go down
Yannick Berthoud
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Yannick Berthoud

Male

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeMon 27 Apr - 4:07

Boiga are an exception snake. They aren't in cat. . You don't Need any courses or paper for get one
Back to top Go down
Michael Artho

Male
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-02-08

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeMon 27 Apr - 16:47

Hi all,

This list is applied only in a small part of Switzerland (must be in the canton Fribourg when I'm right). This list is definitely nothing official and will not be applied in the rest of Switzerland. This list was not created from the Federal Veterinary Office, so in fact it's not a valid one.

There are probably some good approaches but thats it. For example, why I should keep a Agkistrodon for 3 years, when I will keep at the end a Naja? What happens then with the Agkistrodon when I may keep that Naja? My own experience is, that it's much easier to fix a Naja then a Agkistrodon.. and so one...

In my opinion everybody must know for himself which Species he feel ready for - in that Hobby you must know your own Limits.

Yannick Berthoud wrote:
Boiga are an exception snake. They aren't in cat. . You don't Need any courses or paper for get one

I'm sorry, but that's not correct. Here in Switzerland, Boiga dendrophila and Toxicodryas (Boiga) blandingii need an authorization to keep, like "normal" venomous snakes. In which category is unnecessary anyway. Only all the other Boigas are still exempted from the keeping authorization - currently...

This for your info.

Best regards,

Michael
Back to top Go down
Jean-Michel Dupuyoo
Jean-Michel Dupuyoo

Male

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeMon 27 Apr - 16:48

Thank you. French regulation is strongest. Nobody could keep Boiga without a license.

Sad

Sincerely.
Back to top Go down
Yannick Berthoud
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Yannick Berthoud

Male

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeMon 27 Apr - 18:49

Michael, not the cyanea. Maybe for dendrophila and other? Or thé rules changed not long ago?

Like for heterodon.
Back to top Go down
Michael Artho

Male
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-02-08

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeMon 27 Apr - 19:39

Hello Yannick,

Right, the Boiga cyanea need no keeping authorization, same for the Heterodon ssp.

Jean-Michel is asking for Boiga dendrophila, thats why I have corrected it.

At the moment following Rear-fanged snakes need an authorization to keep in Switzerland:

Boiga dendrophila, Toxicodryas blandingii, Dispholidus Typus, Thelotornis ssp., Philodryas olfersii, Malpolon monspessulanus

But at the moment they work here in Switzerland on a new legislation, lets see what the future brings...

Best regards,

Michael
Back to top Go down
Yannick Berthoud
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Yannick Berthoud

Male

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeMon 27 Apr - 23:01

Ho excuse me, bad readed Smile
Back to top Go down
Brian Faenger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitimeWed 29 Apr - 18:00

Michael Artho wrote:
This list was not created from the Federal Veterinary Office, so in fact it's not a valid one.

Hi Michael,

No one said it was created by the Federal Veterinary Office. But I can assure you (since it is my case) that this list is used by the Veterinary Office in my residential area to qualify you for an authorization.

++

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

From Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Switzerland   From Switzerland Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

From Switzerland
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next