VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Protobothrops j. xanthomelas

Go down 
+3
Rainer Fesser
Michael Bollhorn
Mario Lutz
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Empty
PostSubject: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeFri 4 Apr - 17:47

Hello Jörg,

could you please post pictures from your Protobothrops jerdoni xanthomelas ? i would love to see them growing and also to see how they change their coloration within this time.

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Michael Bollhorn
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Michael Bollhorn

Male
Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeFri 9 May - 2:08

Hello Mario,
I have no web-space this time, I can only post a link to my little online album...

https://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/mb-bonedaddy/Protobothrops_j_xanthomelas

Protobothrops jerdonii xanthomelas is one of my favourites, my little Jewels... Wink
I have 3.3 adult and 0.0.2 - 8 month old.
My first three Jerdonii I get one week old in 09/2003 Babies from a WC female.

I hope to breed this nice Snake this year.

Regards, Michael

Last edited by Michael Bollhorn on Fri 9 May - 2:21; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.103887216345740.6060.10
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeFri 9 May - 2:20

Thanks Michael,

i love them too - really jewels - sad, they dont do well here in the heat...
anyway, i will enjoy them by watching your beautiful pictures...

thanks

by the way: welcome to the board Michael!
you will be a serious addition to our little, very special family...

and if you want to post some picture - you can upload them here easily just follow this instructions!

CHEERS
Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Michael Bollhorn
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Michael Bollhorn

Male
Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeFri 9 May - 2:27

Many thanks!

- I think the excessive temperature in the summer is not the problem for Jerdonii!

But Jerdonii need in the winter 3 to 6 °C. Jerdonii eats and dungs down to 10°C Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.103887216345740.6060.10

PostSubject: My Red Spot   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeTue 17 Feb - 8:21

This is my pride and joy she's a sweety.[img]Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Imag0019[/img]
Yet to find another nearly as gold!

Last edited by Timothy Sieber on Tue 23 Mar - 15:04; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeTue 17 Feb - 8:22

She likes it cool and damp and dark. She'll only feed at night in the dark.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeThu 5 Mar - 9:20

Is there anybody besides Michael and myself that keep this species if so, I'd like to see any pics. No two I've seen have looked the same. Interested in other variations.

Thanks
TJS
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeThu 5 Mar - 17:34

Hi Timothy,
I have a pair, captive-bred, 2 1/2 years old and I think ready to breed this year. I´ll take them out of hibernation today and I hope this winter was cold enough.
I have a number of fotos of my pair as babies and until last year and fotos of a number of others, including their parents. I´ll post some of them soon.

Rainer
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeFri 6 Mar - 12:31

Very nice to meet you Rainer. Nice to see others who appreciate these incredible vipers. I am hoping that I can find a male for my lil' girl soon shes ready next fall! Looking foward to those pics.

Thanks TJS
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeTue 10 Mar - 18:15

Here are the pictures I promised. I hope you´ll enjoy them.

They are nice and calm animals, neither offensive nor defensive, only the female comes close quite quickly when she is hungry.

Rainer

1) my female as a baby
Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Xanth_12

2) same female now
Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Xanth_13

3) female, front
Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Xanth_14

4) my male
Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Xanth_15

5) father of my female
Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Xanth_16

6) father of my male
Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Xanth_17
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeWed 11 Mar - 0:32

Awesome looking animals! The female you showed in neonate and full grown shots how old is she in the second picture?
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeThu 12 Mar - 1:52

Hi Timothy,

she is 2 1/2 years old on that foto.
The foto of the same female I post here now has been taken in december 2006 when she was 4 months old and starting to change colours. But she was already quite big at that time as she was a good feeder. My experience is that changing colour depends more on size than on age in P. jerdonii, it was the same in my P. j. bourreti.

Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Xanth_18
Cheers,
Rainer
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar - 7:30

Thanks for the info. My girl is about 1 and a half years old. Excellent feeder, but only in the dark.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeTue 8 Sep - 2:22

Well since my last post in here have aquired another. About 4 months ago I picked another female from 04'. She is a screamer pics soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeWed 9 Sep - 11:45

This is the eldest of my two females and a screamer!!!
Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Buttery2
Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Buttery
Back to top Go down
Craig Van Rensburg
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeFri 11 Sep - 5:00

That is something else. Wow I am speechless!
Back to top Go down
http://www.2xl.co.za

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeFri 11 Sep - 11:47

Thanks I have a another female that is turning out to look the same but is still young. To bad the red isn't showing better in the photo above it was a camera phone.
Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Copyofjery2
This is an older picture of my other female.
Back to top Go down
Chris Jones
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Chris Jones

Male
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jan - 3:47

I would love to get some more detailed information on how guys are keeping these animals as i am worried that mine are perhaps being kept to warm especially over the South African summer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jan - 8:38

Keep my girls at 77 degrees F during the day and about 72 F at night. They thrive in this range in my experience.
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeThu 28 Jan - 3:53

Hello Chris,

my P.j.xanthomelas can chose spots from 20 to 38° (Celsius) within their terrarium from spring into autumn.
In autumn I slowly cool them down, winter (from end of October until March) means 12-14° in the beginning, 5-10° in mid-winter and a bit warmer again towards spring. Last winter was a bit too warm outside and thus in my hibernation room. I think therefore they didn´t breed though they should have been mature finally last year.

I think summer in SA would not be the major problem but getting optimum winter temp will be impossible without additional cooling.

I wish you luck with your´s,
Rainer
Back to top Go down
Chris Jones
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Chris Jones

Male

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeThu 28 Jan - 4:40

Rainer thank you for such valuable information....it is incredible that this species is happy with temps as high as 38 in the summer and then as low as 5 in the winter.
Creating the very cold winter cooling period in SA is a problem that is easily over come.
The real problems are with the species that need a lower temp all year round.
Back to top Go down
BradMiller
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
BradMiller

Male
Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeThu 28 Jan - 13:00

Chris - I am working on a solution for that type of species - will keep you posted.
Raineer - SA can down to -5 in some places with no problem and typical Johannesburg winter has low's of below freezing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jan - 10:10

There such an easy species to keep and maintain. One of my alltime favs.
Back to top Go down
Chris Jones
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Chris Jones

Male

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jan - 14:46

The ones i have seem like little bullet proof eating machines. But with these smaller vipers when something seems to good to be true it usually is!!!
So its good to hear from other keepers that they are pretty hardy animals.
I am reluctant to feed them more than once every 14 days even though they would probably eat 3 x that amount and i will try to cool the females buy simply exposing them to our normal winter temperature drop and see what happens.
Although i am in Durban i am not right on the coast and the temps usually drop lower than 10 degrees for short periods over the winter.
If that doesn't work i will have to put more effort into cooling them the next time round.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jan - 5:35

Small? My girls are 3.4 and 4+ feet. Did u mean that yours are young? As for feeding my girls eat once a week and defacate 2 to 3 days following like clock work. Same routine for years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops j. xanthomelas   Protobothrops j. xanthomelas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Protobothrops j. xanthomelas
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: Viperidae :: Protobothrops-
Jump to: