VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Lampropeltis zonata pulchra - a question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

Lampropeltis zonata pulchra - a question Empty
PostSubject: Lampropeltis zonata pulchra - a question   Lampropeltis zonata pulchra - a question Icon_minitimeFri 14 Aug - 17:22

Hi!

My L. zonatas are now about one year old, 50cm long and do very well.
I never saw them in any interaction - in fact, they usually kept a way from each other.
Yesterday the male wrapped around the female for about 30 minutes and it looked like a copulation play for me.

My question:
Is this just a playing of juveniles or are Lampropeltis with an age of a bit more than a year already mature?

Surely another stupid question from me but You all are now quite familiar with my questions, I guess Very Happy

Guenter
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Lampropeltis zonata pulchra - a question   Lampropeltis zonata pulchra - a question Icon_minitimeSun 16 Aug - 16:47

Hmmm ... nobody an idea?
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Lampropeltis zonata pulchra - a question   Lampropeltis zonata pulchra - a question Icon_minitimeSun 16 Aug - 18:00

There are several species of Lampropeltis which sexual maturity is at least 1 1/2 year.
So it could be...
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
René Meierkord
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2009-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Lampropeltis zonata pulchra - a question   Lampropeltis zonata pulchra - a question Icon_minitimeSun 16 Aug - 19:01

It could be - but I dont think so...

All my Lampropeltis sp. where care in small groups together since they were about 40 cm long but I dont saw copulations under a length of 70 cm...
Back to top Go down
Markus Gottlieb
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Markus Gottlieb

Male
Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Lampropeltis zonata pulchra - a question   Lampropeltis zonata pulchra - a question Icon_minitimeMon 17 Aug - 15:37

Hi Günter

This could be, but because of their age they won't give you some babys this time ( otherwise it would be very unusual at this age)

But it is a good sign for the next year Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Lampropeltis zonata pulchra - a question   Lampropeltis zonata pulchra - a question Icon_minitimeMon 17 Aug - 16:22

It would be unusual at this time of the year too, Guenter.
Lampropeltis zonata are mating in march or april, depositing their eggs in may ore june, and usually only after a cold hibernation.
If you want to try it next year, hibernate your couple with temperatures of about 10 degrees for at least 3 months (december - february).
I'm breeding L. zonata the first time at the age of three years, earlier breeding with small-sized females under 60 cm isn't a good idea - you could risk the life of your female.

Cheers
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Lampropeltis zonata pulchra - a question   Lampropeltis zonata pulchra - a question Icon_minitimeMon 17 Aug - 17:34

Thanks Peter!

In fact I do not want to breed at this time, I was just surprised from the behaviour of the snakes. maybe they are practising Very Happy

Cheers,
Guenter
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lampropeltis zonata pulchra - a question   Lampropeltis zonata pulchra - a question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lampropeltis zonata pulchra - a question
Page 1 of 1