VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Atheris Hispida

Go down 
+19
Robert Kane
Michael Jonasson
Fabian Dirks
Chris Jones
Michele Angelo Furiani
Thomas Christ
Bob Herrington
Rene Schenk
Sebastian Rosberg
Christoph Rothenbühler
Archie Bottoms
Peter Schulze Niehoff
René Meierkord
BradMiller
Ralph Tümmers
Derek Morgan
Stefan Thomson
Sami Heikkinen
Radek Benda
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Dec - 15:10

looks very good Cool
Back to top Go down
Christoph Rothenbühler
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Dec - 15:13

Hi Ralph,
Sind schon verdammt hübsche Kerlchen! Wünsche Dir auf jeden Fall viel Erfolg bei der Langzeithaltung.

This guys are damn amazing. Wish you all the best with this animals.

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptiles.c-ro.ch
Sebastian Rosberg
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Sebastian Rosberg

Male
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Dec - 17:29

Wooow thats one beautiful snake Smile

Realy liked the color, hope they will make it so you can maybe manage to breed them Wink

And Congrats to an awesome snake Ralph

Sebastian
Back to top Go down
Rene Schenk
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Rene Schenk

Male
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Dec - 1:39

@ Ralph
very unkind of you! How can i sleep the next few days,
after seeing this beauty. I'm dreaming since the last century of hispida.
Thanx for the pix (more please)
Greetings
Rene
Back to top Go down
Ralph Tümmers
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Ralph Tümmers

Male
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Dec - 20:03

Hello guys,
thanks for the positive Comments here...i hope i can get them stable in the future,but it looks really good ....

@Rene: I cross my fingers that you come to sleep again,otherwise i can get some hispida for you in the backhand ,when you are interested cyclops ...at the moment are some animals available Wink

Wish you a great day guys and keep your heads up high...with a frozen nose of course..
Greets Ralph
Back to top Go down
http://www.viperworld.de
Archie Bottoms
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Dec - 14:03

Please what do you feed them at the moment, very interesting snakes that take the extra effort good show.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Dec - 19:00

Does anyone have any for sale I wonder? And how much they go for?

I have a lot of nice fat earthworms and slugs in my yard.
Back to top Go down
Ralph Tümmers
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Ralph Tümmers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Dec - 20:32

Hello guys,
mine are feeding on Earthworms without any problems.

@Yasin: Maybe i can help you ,to get some nice ...in the new year ,of course Smile

Greets Ralph
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Dec - 21:05

Hey Ralph,

I would love a pair. They would be like new years presents Smile.

Please e mail the details and the price when you have the info available.

You have my e-mail right?
Back to top Go down
BradMiller
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
BradMiller

Male
Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Dec - 15:03

Stunning! - now I just need to see those feeding pics!
Smile
Back to top Go down
Bob Herrington
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Dec - 5:35

Ralph can you describe how you feed earthworms to them?

Thanks
Bob Herrington
Back to top Go down
Ralph Tümmers
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Ralph Tümmers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Dec - 6:05

Hy guys,
i don´t make anything special to feed them .
Just put some worms in a little box and let them over night in the Terrarium.
The animals feed themselve , only first feeding was need to force feed .
After that they take all without any trick, BUT the animals only eat in the dark and not at day.
Next time when i got some holiday i feed them and sit some hours with a Headlight ,to make some pictures Smile
Back to top Go down
Thomas Christ
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Thomas Christ

Male
Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Dec - 21:16

Hey Ralph.

very nice little snakes.
i wish you the best and hope they prosper well in the futhure.

I cross my fingers for you.

Cheers, Tom

PS: we must phone times again
Back to top Go down
Radek Benda
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Radek Benda

Male
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 5 Jan - 23:23

Superb !!!! Very Happy Thats great infos for me and thank you, to sharing foto... Very Happy Good luck with them..And please share more info and photos... Very Happy
Radek.
Back to top Go down
Michele Angelo Furiani
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michele Angelo Furiani

Male
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 15 Jan - 12:06

Wow Ralph,
fantastic animal, if you can please post a photo when they eat worms, it's a dream for me to see this.
I buy six of them 5/6 years ago but only one survive for one year but only with tubing force feeding, i try with slugs,worms,pinkys and frogs but without success.
Hi Brad it's not the first time i hear the story of the leeches and becouse i found all my specimen full of Trematoda (flukes) and they can host, it's in my opinion a realistic supposition.
Ciao
Michele
Back to top Go down
Archie Bottoms
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jan - 1:57

Leeches were my idea
Back to top Go down
Michele Angelo Furiani
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michele Angelo Furiani

Male
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jan - 6:21

Oooops sorry mate scratch
Back to top Go down
Sebastian Rosberg
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Sebastian Rosberg

Male

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Feb - 18:13

Hi Ralph how is it going with your beautis?
Back to top Go down
Chris Jones
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Chris Jones

Male
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Feb - 18:39

No pictures of the feeding yet? I am dying to see evidence of these animals eating worms.
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 17 Feb - 2:10

I am interested,too. What happened?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Ralph Tümmers
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Ralph Tümmers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb - 23:26

Hello guys,
finally i have sold the animals last weekend to a friend...
I have a space problem at the moment and need to set some terrariums new .
He saw them and fell in love with them Wink
But i will try some others in the future of course,that are definetly animals i want to keep longer ,but at the moment is the space more importent for me ...
Keep you updated ,of course ...
Best regards ,
Ralph
Back to top Go down
Sebastian Rosberg
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Sebastian Rosberg

Male

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb - 23:29

Do you have any other pictures on them except those you showed us??

Best regards,
Sebastian
Back to top Go down
Michael Jonasson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Michael Jonasson

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb - 0:39

Like it?!? I god damn love it, every part of this snake makes me want a pair of my own.
For hos long have you kept it? How often do you feed it?

Thanks for the picture
Back to top Go down
Robert Kane

Male
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 6 Mar - 4:46

Hello everyone, nice forum here. Love the Mac touch Smile

I'll be getting a pair of atheris hispida in the next few weeks both wild caught and apparently in captivity for some weeks now and drinking and eating but I'll see more when I get them. I have also got a pair of atheris ceratophora coming too. Something with more of a challenge, I will be documenting all the work on video with these species and jotting down their health and activity as the days progress to journal for others to learn from, may it be a success or a slow fail, it will not go without knowledge.

I will see what state they are in first and get them hydrated.
I will first be getting stools tested. Using aluminium foil as a substrate so stool samples do not dehydrate quickly.
Treating any ectoparasites initially and endoparasites later as results come back to me.

Food items will start with a moist naked pinky mouse, also in my food inventory I will be trying some farmed worms, some reed frogs and house geckos, quail chicks are apparently the taken item for them at the minute willingly but I'll have to see that for myself. It has been said many places that they will eat snails, but there has only been one animal that I know of that has had remains of snail found in its digestive tract, this should not be considered a regular meal type going by the stomach of one animal. It only lets us know that it may just be one rare food item of opportunity.
Slugs would be more appropriate than a snail but do not use wild caught slugs yourself for parasite reasons, leeches are a possibility and they can be bought from sterile environments, I may see if biofarms uk sell some.

I can say that from experience of others, hispida will investigate most food items but not readily hunt them and forceps feedings work well when you take advantage of their defensive behavior when you gently tap the food item off part of their body. They are reported to strike, catch and when they get the food item in their mouth they continue to eat in one single flow without interruption or pauses like other snakes. Sometimes pinkie mice get folded over in the mouth as they try to work it down their mouth but because it folds they will spit it back out and leave it, lets hope hispida don't go thinking that mice cannot be swallowed after one fails to go down and refuse future mice feeds.
Young born at about 2grams that have been captive bred can be moved to naked mouse parts and change the behavior of their diet from that of the adults.

I can only wait and see how I get on.
I may or may not upload to youtube as some people will be quick to slander for buying a species that is going extinct and very difficult to look after, If you guys would be interested in the videos I will put them up as they may be a help to everyone in learning more about about this snake.
Not long ago boomslangs, bush masters, rhino vipers(nasicornis) and many other snakes were deemed impossible to keep in captivity.
Lets make atheris hispida a snake we can understand and learn about, to prevent making more mistakes and errors of husbandry.
To be one more snake that will not face extinction, this is my goal.

Robert kane
Back to top Go down
Courtney Roles
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Mar - 17:34

I'm definitely interested in successful captive keeping of this species.

I'm currently just starting into Atheris, (squamiger, chlorechis and soon ceratophora) so the reality of my attempting to keep hispidus is zilch right now. Possibly in the future if the more experienced keepers can figure out their secrets, I'll one day have a shot at it, so best of luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Atheris Hispida
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next