VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Bitis arietans south africa

Go down 
+4
Neven Vrbanic
Gavin Carpenter
Rob Deans
Stephan Niemann
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Stephan Niemann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Bitis arietans  south africa Empty
PostSubject: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeWed 17 Mar - 16:03

Hi Folks
yesterday i was offered a beautyfull and very colorfull pair of south african Bitis arietans , the guy selling them said they captve breed wich ibelive him but he also told me they dont get larger then approximatly 80 cm in length, can anyone here confirm that ?
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeWed 17 Mar - 16:28

They grow to around 120cm here in SA.
Back to top Go down
Stephan Niemann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeWed 17 Mar - 17:40

thanks for that info

do the look like this ?

Bitis arietans  south africa Bitiss12
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeWed 17 Mar - 18:34

No not commonly like that. Unless it comes from way up north IE Limpopo or North West province where they do look similar to that. But even then I would call that a very nice specimen.
Back to top Go down
Stephan Niemann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeWed 17 Mar - 18:37

well both male and female wich i beenoffered look like that actually that is the female i been offered i just wanted to makesure its the real thing iam getting and not just some calling to give it a name
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeWed 17 Mar - 19:09

Lets just say its a remarkable SA Puff adder? I will try show you some photos of others from Limpopo province which look similar to the female you pictured.
I would assume the seller has no reason to lie so consider yourself fortunate Wink
Back to top Go down
Stephan Niemann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeWed 17 Mar - 19:20

well ty for the asurance then and yes i consodere myself lucky Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gavin Carpenter
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeThu 18 Mar - 12:02

I would agree with Rob. How big is the snake as those colors are really bright? It is unusual, but some babies are quite bright.
Cheers
Gavin
Back to top Go down
Stephan Niemann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeThu 18 Mar - 15:08

they are from 08 and the one on the pic is the female and shes about 60 cm now
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeThu 18 Mar - 19:27

Puff Adders have the cutest faces EVER!
Back to top Go down
Neven Vrbanic
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeThu 18 Mar - 22:09

Hi Stephan,

I have arietans that are from SA, at least I was told that. They are beautiful snakes and I never question the origin too much. The male has a lot of yellow, but they are both beautiful. I got them as babies in 2004 and now they are still under 1m long - around 80cm each. The female had 2 clutches - one in 2006 and one in 2008, with 22 babies in 2006 and 31 babies in 2008. Interestingly enough in both clutches 5 babies were scaleless which I was not too happy about but people asked for them like crazy! :-)
Here are some pics..

Bitis arietans  south africa Bamale10

Bitis arietans  south africa Nv_bit10

Bitis arietans  south africa Nv_sna10

Bitis arietans  south africa Bitis_10

Bitis arietans  south africa Bitis_11
Back to top Go down
Neven Vrbanic
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeThu 18 Mar - 22:11

and few more..

Bitis arietans  south africa Bitis_12

Bitis arietans  south africa Bitis10

Bitis arietans  south africa Pi10
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeThu 18 Mar - 22:35

The yellow one in your 4th pic is certainly not from South Africa. PERHAPS the other one is but I will say the same thing which I said to Stephan, if it is then you are lucky.

There were some scaleless Puff adders kept locally, perhaps they came from South Africa but if you traced them back further you might find they came from Tanzania or somewhere similar.
Back to top Go down
Neven Vrbanic
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeThu 18 Mar - 22:38

I just found some more photos of them. In 2006 I manage to catch a female giving birth so I manage to take some pics. Among them I cough a few babies taking their first breath! :-)) cute little bastards! :-))

enjoy

Bitis arietans  south africa Bamale11

Bitis arietans  south africa Scalel10

Bitis arietans  south africa Ba-bir10

Bitis arietans  south africa Ba-bir11

Bitis arietans  south africa Ba-bir12

Bitis arietans  south africa Ba-bir13

Bitis arietans  south africa Ba-bir14

Bitis arietans  south africa Ba-bir15
Back to top Go down
Stephan Niemann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeThu 18 Mar - 22:43

wow awesome pics ,great job Neven
now non of your pics does look similar to mine even though they are very good looking animals .
i have talked to the breeder of my pair and he said he has breed the parents the third time now an never did he have more then 15 to 18 babys
Back to top Go down
Neven Vrbanic
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeThu 18 Mar - 22:44

HI Rob,
when I got them in 2004 I did not realy care where exactly they came from. I was told they are from SA and that they will not grow as big. I can varify for 100% that at least the second statement is correct! :-) Interestingly enough as babies in 2004 when I got them they were very similar in coloration. When they were appx 2 yearrs old the male started to be more yellow. I will try to find some baby photos...
Back to top Go down
Stephan Niemann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeThu 18 Mar - 22:49

ok ty neven that would be great but i ll go with Robs statement and just be happy with them as they are if tey south african now or not ,they beautys thats what counts even though having a locationwould have been nice
Back to top Go down
Sascha Beckhoff
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Sascha Beckhoff

Male
Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeThu 18 Mar - 22:55

wow,nice nice.good pics.i like the scaleless,they look so crazy.
Back to top Go down
Johan Pennanen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Johan Pennanen

Male
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeThu 18 Mar - 23:04

Reeeealy Cool pix Neven!
Congrats!

Cheers Johan Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Karl Müller
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Karl Müller

Male
Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeSun 21 Mar - 2:09

Thanks for the nice pictures Neven!
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male
Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitimeMon 22 Mar - 18:26

Great looking Puffs. The colors are awesome and the pattern is striking.
I like those scaleless ones as well, they look so strange.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bitis arietans south africa   Bitis arietans  south africa Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bitis arietans south africa
Page 1 of 1